URPG War/Risk Idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: URPG War/Risk Idea

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question URPG War/Risk Idea

I have an amazing idea (I think)

Basically the idea is URPG War. All of the members are split into the five (six if we want Orange Islands) regions and each city is controlled by its gym leader, with people flocking to whichever city they want. The gym cities fight for territorry (including non-gym towns and cities) via FFAs (with fixed teams) with each trainer having more than one mon each if they want (and a maximum of six unless their defending). Each region has an income and special "abilities" and Pokemon, i.e. Goldenrod would get a free Bug-type every turn due to the National Park, Azelea would get extra income from Apricots etc. Once the regions are controlled by one city inter-regions begin, with places like Sinnoh and Hoenn having to use Water type "ships" to get to other places. Prizes are given based on FFA results, team for the city and the region.

Here's an idea of an FFA for Floraroma.

Three teams: Eterna (invaders) Jubilife (invaders) Floraroma (defenders)

Eterna has four trainers with eighteen Pokemon.

Oreburgh has three trainers with twelve Pokemon.

Floraroma has six trainers with Twenty five Pokemon.

Eterna trainer's can't attack Eterna Trainers etc.

The winner gets Floraroma along with the inhabitants (and some money from Plunder mwahahahahaha)
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Default Re: URPG General Chat/Questions/Suggestions

Didn't we do URPG Risk or something like a couple years ago and it was like that? (Someone who remembers)
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

That could be fun. I would take part of that if it happened. But what does income have to do with it? Does the winning team get X amount and then gets spread to the people who won? And what happens to the people who lost the battle? Do they become minions of the winning team?

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Trophies

I actually really like this idea, because it gives some proper structure to an FFA tournament. But I don't think it will work, purely from a numbers and coordination perspective. People allied with a city need to all be on at once, to take on people from another city all online at once. Not to mention, if I lead Cinnabar, I guess I'd have to conquer Celadon and Vermillion before Cerulean wipes the floor with me?

I'm going to act like a true Aussie, sit here on my island and not give a fuck as the war rages on around me

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post
    I have an amazing idea (I think)

Basically the idea is URPG War. All of the members are split into the five (six if we want Orange Islands) regions and each city is controlled by its gym leader, with people flocking to whichever city they want. The gym cities fight for territorry (including non-gym towns and cities) via FFAs (with fixed teams) with each trainer having more than one mon each if they want (and a maximum of six unless their defending). Each region has an income and special "abilities" and Pokemon, i.e. Goldenrod would get a free Bug-type every turn due to the National Park, Azelea would get extra income from Apricots etc. Once the regions are controlled by one city inter-regions begin, with places like Sinnoh and Hoenn having to use Water type "ships" to get to other places. Prizes are given based on FFA results, team for the city and the region.

Here's an idea of an FFA for Floraroma.

Three teams: Eterna (invaders) Jubilife (invaders) Floraroma (defenders)

Eterna has four trainers with eighteen Pokemon.

Oreburgh has three trainers with twelve Pokemon.

Floraroma has six trainers with Twenty five Pokemon.

Eterna trainer's can't attack Eterna Trainers etc.

The winner gets Floraroma along with the inhabitants (and some money from Plunder mwahahahahaha)
    mfw no one would come to whatever city I lead xD

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    I actually really like this idea, because it gives some proper structure to an FFA tournament. But I don't think it will work, purely from a numbers and coordination perspective. People allied with a city need to all be on at once, to take on people from another city all online at once. Not to mention, if I lead Cinnabar, I guess I'd have to conquer Celadon and Vermillion before Cerulean wipes the floor with me?

I'm going to act like a true Aussie, sit here on my island and not give a fuck as the war rages on around me
    Beat me to it =(

Blog Entries

OK, you've asked a couple of pertinent questions:
    @Soulmaster ; You asked about wages and stuff. This kinda depends on the situation:

So the winning team gets £2000 (maybe more) +£1000 for every mon they KO.

The losing team get £500 +£500 for every mon they KO.

You asked what happened to the losing team when they lost:

There would be a dice roll to see if their captured by the opposition.

If they're attacking (and lose): as long as their not captured they can return to the town/city they came from.

If they're defending: It depends, if they have more than one city they go to that one as long as its a neighbouring city. If it's their only town/city then they can join the opposition team or form a rebel faction (the latter if they're not captured)

If their rebels: the "governement" forces either execute them (in effect take them out of the game) or force them to join their side.
    @Monbrey ; you asked about the feasibility time wise. There are two solutions:

1: grueling forum FFAs

2: abandon the idea of gym leaders getting the gyms they normally lead and instead base hometown on where you live.

I hoped that I have helped

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Now this idea is interesting!

A modification could solve this actually. And FFA's are, interestingly enough, the answer. The problem with the Risk map ideas, as I've discovered, is that there are a lot of moving parts and scheduling with members trying to have their battles to win territory. Ultimately, sometimes people just can't find a time to commit their battles and thus, nothing is done.

But, FFA's don't require people to schedule a time. They just need a lot of people!

So, if we imagine a battle for territory, we could say that such a battle is an FFA. Each team has to participate or they automatically lose. To participate, they need at least one person in the FFA. Since we have a lot of URPGers, I think this requirement is pretty easy to meet. The more team members available, the easier the FFA will be, but by no means guaranteed. After all, if one team has half the representation, the other teams will likely ally to take them out.

An FFA proceeds as normal and then rankings are determined. The winner of the FFA gets to choose two adjacent territories to his team's territory to "conquer". This could be from any country. The second place team can then choose one adjacent territory to "conquer" as long as the territory does not belong to the team that won the FFA.

In this way, territories can exchange hands without requiring members to schedule times with each other and without making this a logistical nightmare. If we desire to increase the number of territories exchanged, we simply aware more territories to the winners (can even include 3rd place) or increase the number of FFA's.

Just one solution, of many I imagine, to this problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKim View Post

Now this idea is interesting!

A modification could solve this actually. And FFA's are, interestingly enough, the answer. The problem with the Risk map ideas, as I've discovered, is that there are a lot of moving parts and scheduling with members trying to have their battles to win territory. Ultimately, sometimes people just can't find a time to commit their battles and thus, nothing is done.

But, FFA's don't require people to schedule a time. They just need a lot of people!

So, if we imagine a battle for territory, we could say that such a battle is an FFA. Each team has to participate or they automatically lose. To participate, they need at least one person in the FFA. Since we have a lot of URPGers, I think this requirement is pretty easy to meet. The more team members available, the easier the FFA will be, but by no means guaranteed. After all, if one team has half the representation, the other teams will likely ally to take them out.

An FFA proceeds as normal and then rankings are determined. The winner of the FFA gets to choose two adjacent territories to his team's territory to "conquer". This could be from any country. The second place team can then choose one adjacent territory to "conquer" as long as the territory does not belong to the team that won the FFA.

In this way, territories can exchange hands without requiring members to schedule times with each other and without making this a logistical nightmare. If we desire to increase the number of territories exchanged, we simply aware more territories to the winners (can even include 3rd place) or increase the number of FFA's.

Just one solution, of many I imagine, to this problem.
    I quite like this idea but for one thing: quite a lot of the game will eventually revolve around size of the FFA armies, although as you said this would be a logistical nightmare your idea would destroy this along with some of the regional bonuses, like goldenrods or Sandgem's where you would get a free starter every turn. However this sacrifice could be made if absolutely necessary

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Trophies

This still doesn't exactly validate numbers, but it's a step in the right direction. I would assume that since there's 40 gyms, initially everyone is going to either be alone or have at most one or two allies. Similarly, going region vs region isn't going to work either since then there's only 5 of them. This would mean that, to start with, people who are alone can't fairly be eliminated for missing a FFA. I'm in the far-off Australian time-zone, good chance I'd miss the FFA. If I start alone, I should still have equal chance to win and "conquer" representatives. That way if they lose later on in one I can't make it to, I can blame them and yell at them.

NOTE: Since this idea has a lot of interest, I'm moving it to it's own thread in Development so we can discuss it further.

Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG War/Risk Idea

@Monbrey, good point, many people would miss out on the chance and lose their independance if an FFA happened without them, or the only person capable of doing it was a less competent person than could have been put forward. At this rate I am finding increasingly the solution to be forum FFAs, but with extra rules so that people who don't post in effect have forfeited. Also can I have an idea of what people think for wages?

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Trophies

Standard FFA wages, bonuses possible for winners I guess, but given the size of some FFA's (particularly Forum based ones) the top payouts are already very substantial. Also, everyone is going to want to ref them. Luckily, reffing Forum FFA's require Senior Ref approval.... ALL THE WAGES SHALL BE OURS!

Blog Entries

I think that the only problem with standard FFA payment is multiple Pokemon per user. Would the payment be a single payment per mon, the user's average survival rate, or when their last mon was KO'd?

Also I've made a table for each Kanto town's special ability:

Pallet: Oak's lab 1 Free Starter per turn (duration of the War only)
    Viridian: Trainer's school. 25% off Tutor moves.
    Pewter: Museum: 1 free fossil Pokemon per 3 turns
    Cerulean: Daycare: 25% off BMs
    Vermilion: SS Anne: access to any costal town/city
    Lavender: Pokemon Tower, free ghost per turn
    Celadon: Departement Store: 25% off TMs
    Saffron: Magnet Train: access to Goldenrod
    Fuchsia: Safari Zone: one free Pokemon from Safari Zone list per turn
    Cinabar: Volcano, one free Fire from a list somewhere type per turn

Each region will be quite similar so I won't do those until later
    Last edited by BlazeMaster; 22nd April 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Trophies
    Blog Entries

edit: mfw I post in the wrong thread

Anyway, if we could sort out the scheduling aspect I'd be interested in joining this and supporting it.

Why not do what happened in the FFA tourney? Have ffa's at different times of the day, which means that people of all timezones will be able to at least do some of them.
    URPG Stats

Airik 7:42 pm
    i just hope that when puberty hits he grows out of pokemon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast