Trial Encounter - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trial Encounter

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trial Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    Oooh, that one is good! Say, if there are three Trainers in the Party, and they want to flee from an Encounter (assuming they can, in fact, flee), here is a list of potential prerequisites they must all complete before they can flee:

1) All Trainer Pokemon must be returned.
    2) All Trainers must be on adjoined squares (so a line can be drawn from any Trainer to any other Trainer without going over an empty square)
    3) Dice Roll must succeed (50/50 sounds about right, that's what it is in the NP and it seems to work fine)

If all of these prerequisites have been met, the enemy units get one turn to try an get as much damage in on the fleeing Party as possible, and then the Encounter is ended.

Thoughts there?
    Good, good. But, why adjoined? I think that it should at least be that they can all flee if they are able to hear each other and communicate. Egs: In a fiery volcano, they have a harder time understanding each other, but on a grassy plain, it is easy. What of Pokemon with Shadow Tag or Arena Trap could prevent fleeing as well and maybe Soundproof, too if we are using my proposed ideas.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    Good, good. But, why adjoined? I think that it should at least be that they can all flee if they are able to hear each other and communicate. Egs: In a fiery volcano, they have a harder time understanding each other, but on a grassy plain, it is easy.
    This is a good idea, but then a communication mechanic needs to be designed for the simple act of fleeing, which hopefully won't be happening too often.

Here's an idea: scrap the together thing, and allow people to flee separately. This could allow for some interesting Party politics - for example, a person who brought only Rock types might choose to flee a river battle with Water enemies to save his Pokemon but then promise to pay back his allies in a later battle. But, then, will he? <Dramatic music plays>

And yeah, escaping-nulling abilities would prevent fleeing, too. Not sure about Soundproof, though, not without a communication mechanism.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Blog Entries

Cool! That works even better than what I had figured.

yep ok i agree sry not had internet for 2 days, Pokemon encounters should be set pokemon. thats the first thing. yes those 3 requisits are sounding good that is with the fix of trainers can leave seperatly.
    basically i think that
    1. We have sudcceded in showing that encounters work with this thread
    2. That pokemon should be set pokemon for each mission not randomly rolled
    3. That escape attempts can be attempted but 2 rules must apply that none of the trainers pokemon are to be on the feild and that there is a dice rolled 50/50 chance of escape.
    4. That encounter pokemon have 1 turn in witch they can use to do as much damage as possible to the trainer attempting to escape.
    5. That trainers can escape a battle and leave other trainers behind.

I suggest that perhaps if a trainer leaves his team for an encounter he must promise to do something to make up for it and has to stick to it, perhaps such as giving a potion to one of the other trainers or taking hits during another encounter to save the other trainers from taking hits.

Blog Entries

That would probably be worked out by the party goers. Interesting party politics would ensue afterwards.

ok so we decided yes to what i numbered except the last bit of making sure they follow through. :D then in that case i think that we have decided upon those things. Chain if you read this then do you think you could start peicing together a big list of rules and things with links and the such to move lists and other threads that explain things so that we can catch new people up faster

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    ok so we decided yes to what i numbered except the last bit of making sure they follow through. :D then in that case i think that we have decided upon those things. Chain if you read this then do you think you could start peicing together a big list of rules and things with links and the such to move lists and other threads that explain things so that we can catch new people up faster
    I think that this is a good idea and needs to be done at some point in time (I'll do it, I'm happy to now I'm on holidays :D) but we're jumping some steps here. There's a few things that I think need to happen first.

First of all, we need to run a practise Mission, not just an Encounter test. I've almost finished devising a test Mission, and from there we can run it like it would be a real one (dibs being DM, semi-complete details are available on my forum (where the move list is)). Then once we've found out what works and what doesn't, we can ask HKim to take a look and move from there.

Another thing that I'm a little worried about is that these things were supposed to have a D&D root, but from what I can see (being mostly a D&D noob) there isn't much here. I mean, the Encounters are roughly equivalent, and there's a simple kind of character stat system, but there's very little roleplaying per se, at least not from where I'm looking. Do we need to look into ways to involve roleplaying? Or do we just leave it out entirely? Take a look at my test mission, and you'll see what I mean. There's not much roleplaying in it at all.

Anyway, I hope to have the Mission finished in a couple days' time, and then I'll open a thread asking for volunteers, and in said thread we'll also talk about how to do it (I'm leaning towards forum, but we'll see how it goes).
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

I think roleplaying will be sort of like how we a lot of dice rolling and character interaction. The idea is that roleplaying better will give the characters a better chance of success. We replace random chance with effort. Similarly, bad roleplaying results in a more difficult chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by HKim View Post
    I think roleplaying will be sort of like how we a lot of dice rolling and character interaction. The idea is that roleplaying better will give the characters a better chance of success. We replace random chance with effort. Similarly, bad roleplaying results in a more difficult chance of success.
    That sounds cool. Does that mean it will take effect inside Encounters in addition to the outside campaign? Like for example, Fire Blast has a 85% chance, but good roleplaying bumps it up tom 90% or so?
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    That sounds cool. Does that mean it will take effect inside Encounters in addition to the outside campaign? Like for example, Fire Blast has a 85% chance, but good roleplaying bumps it up tom 90% or so?

I'm thinking that would be the case. The exact number should be subject to the Dungeon Master's decision, of course, but we can give several examples so they generally know the range of adjustment.

Unless encounters are meant to happen quickly, in which case, eliminate a lot of the RPing entirely.

ok, sounds good and encounters are meant to take ages, chain said that we wanted to have encounters as more of a delay and u dont want them because you dont get any extra reward for them only thing you get is the opportunity to continue in the mission cause u havent died. oh and chain sign me up.

Yeah, I'm not sure how long Encounters would take on a forum Mission, but the 4v4 Kanga and I did took about 4 hours, so I'd guess an Encounter would last between 3 - 7 days depending on the activeness of the participants.

Perhaps, in an Encounter, the person can do a roleplay post, like in the National Park, then after that put their moves inside a bracket. Example:

"I ran over the rocks towards my Charmeleon. I didn't want him taking too much damage from the Swampert's attacks, so I intended to return him to his Poke Ball before he could faint... (etc etc etc)."

(Trainer John to F10)

^
    Something like that. Then, the DM would be a Ref/Ranger hybrid, sticking roughly to the rules but able to bend them according to post quality.

Thoughts?
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS

that sounds good might i suggest a 300 character minimum for the rp bit not counting the moves in brackets. that would help show whether the DM should give a boost or decrease in move power/acc.

the bit about how long they take i had no idea it took 4 hours, anyway normal battles would normaly only hav say 3 v 3 that puts it down to 3 hours non stop approx seeing it as 1 hour per mon on each side. then you factor in all participants must be active so 3 hours times by a factor of 4 people thats 3 trainers and a DM so 12 hours non stop spread that out to a reasonable time of 1-2 hours per day of all 4 together online takes it to about 8-9 days, then factor the fact some people cant be on on some days leading an encounter onwards to about 10-11 days. perhaps this is long enough per encounter dont you think? perhaps when its 1 person doing a mission on their own they must use rp posts for encounters, that means that it will make it slower but because only 2 people it would mean about 6 hours total non rp add on rp posting time that makes it about 8 hours cause some people arent very fast spread that out about 1-2hours a day that makes it faster at about 4-6 days depending on activeness. though because the encounters are shorter this gives single rp missionists faster missions so the reward should be a bit larger for those who team together. well thats my 2 cents

Blog Entries

Nothing much to say about this, other than that I think we're moving in the right direction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12