Trainer Stats/Skills

Thread: Trainer Stats/Skills

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trainer Stats/Skills

I was toying with this idea after an extended D&D binge, when I contemplated a homebrew Pokemon RPG; a series of Trainer skills and stats. It sounds like other people have had similar ideas in the encounters thread, so I wanted to get a thread going to codify the idea.

I lifted a lot of them right from D&d, and if we want to fiddle with that, make it our own, so be it.

I propose a series of skills that could govern interactions by the Trainers with an assortment of things; travel, wilderness survival, urban survival, diplomacy, et cetera.

The easiest thing to do would likely make it percentage based; that way the GM analogue would simply roll it in an AIM chatroom and post the results. Bonuses can be contributed by percentage, with set percentage DCs. Examples of bonuses I've thought up would include having a Pokemon of a beneficial type is with you; the same type won't stack, but multiple types may, up to 15-20% based on difficulty of mission.

Wilderness Survival: Tracking, foraging, travel in a forest area. +5% if a Grass, Poison, or Bug type is with you.

Athletics: Climbing, swimming, running, or checks of endurance. Rock, ground, steel, water, and fighting may all come into play, depending on the situation.

Urban Survival: Navigation in large cities, locating business types (Pokemart, Pokemon Center, Flower Shop), tracking people moving in a city, finding leads. Depending on type of city or area within, may be no synergies, but normal, ground, steel, poison, or flying may all be helpful.

Wordsmithing: Mostly an interpersonal skill, covering diplomacy, intimidation, bluffs, outright lies, sensing motive. Psychics would help, as might ghosts.

Agility: Sneaking, dodging, hiding. Dark, ghost, and perhaps psychics would do well here.

This is just a sample; I'd rather the skills stay fairly compacted, to avoid overcomplication, but there's definitely some room for enlarging in some areas. Figure that depending on the rank of the trainer determines how many chunks of 5% they can distribute, and the maximum % they can have in any given skills; for D&D fans, think of them as skill points and max ranks.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trainer Stats/Skills

Excellent idea :)
    One suggestion I have is maybe put Electric as helping with the Agility stat.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see someone other than me posting new topic in here :D

I haven't been D&Ding for long, so I will happy bow to the experts here. I love this system and it looks to be really interesting and fun to play with.

The only thing I have to suggest is that each type should only empower either one or two stats. Like, for example, just without thinking about it, it's a little imbalanced that Ground can help out with most of the physical-based skills where Ice hasn't even been listed yet. Here's a quick runup of an example I think is more fair:

Wilderness Survival: Grass, Rock, Ice, Bug

Athletics: Normal, Water, Ground,

Urban Survival: Flying, Poison, Electric, Steel

Wordsmithing: Psychic, Ghost, Dark

Agility: Fighting, Dragon, Fire
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So maybe 5% per skill level with a maximum of 5 skill levels in a group? This sounds good, especially with Chain's modifications.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

fight me in the urpg! sir.noodles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bug grass rock and ground should be wilderness survival. flying should help agility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post

I haven't been D&Ding for long, so I will happy bow to the experts here. I love this system and it looks to be really interesting and fun to play with.

The only thing I have to suggest is that each type should only empower either one or two stats. Like, for example, just without thinking about it, it's a little imbalanced that Ground can help out with most of the physical-based skills where Ice hasn't even been listed yet. Here's a quick runup of an example I think is more fair:

In my opinion, move bug to agility, fighting to Athletics, and put ground in wilderness survival. I think they would fit better in those groups, seeing as ground-types can survive by digging a hole or using the earth to set up a home and gather food, etc. Bugs are quick mofos, so agility suits them better. Fighting goes hand in hand with athletics, for obvious reasons.

I'm thinking on a logistical standpoint, so if that seems to unbalanced, wasn't my intent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taither View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post

In my opinion, move bug to agility, fighting to Athletics, and put ground in wilderness survival. I think they would fit better in those groups, seeing as ground-types can survive by digging a hole or using the earth to set up a home and gather food, etc. Bugs are quick mofos, so agility suits them better. Fighting goes hand in hand with athletics, for obvious reasons.

I'm thinking on a logistical standpoint, so if that seems to unbalanced, wasn't my intent.
    Don't just randomly revive a thread please.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis