Pokemon Missions Discussion - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: Pokemon Missions Discussion

  1. #61
    URPG! GliscorMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    2,970
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    That's called railroading, and as a player, I despise having it happen. If a player is absolutely unwilling to follow the plot hooks / breadcrumbs, a better result would be to take them aside and explain that's what the plot is based around; if they still aren't willing to work with the plot, I'd ask them to leave. While there should be room for creativity and player options (for example, wanting to hit the Pokemart for items before you stage the raid on the mansion) just making the plot happen anyways ultimately makes the players an unnecessary addition to the game.
    That is a good point. I kinda meant it to be a last resort. Making the person leave probably would work a lot better. I tend to improvise half of my plots anyway. As long as I know how they will get there, I can make changes.

    Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

  2. #62

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    That is a good point. I kinda meant it to be a last resort. Making the person leave probably would work a lot better. I tend to improvise half of my plots anyway. As long as I know how they will get there, I can make changes.
    I'm afraid it came off sounding rather harsh; it really is. And it too would be a last resort. If the players knew that there were set plots, and key events that had to happen, I think there would be less drive to go off on random tangents. A corollary to that is to make sure that the plot hooks are always in front of the players so they always know what their options are, or what the preferred course of action is, so that if they really want to strain their creativity, it still gets them to the places they need to go.

    To use the haunted mansion/missing kids example again, they know their goal is the Pokemon mansion. Perhaps one group wants to visit the Pokemart first to stock up on necessities; another group may want to sneak up on the place through the woods; a third may want to cover themselves as a traveling encyclopedia salesmen group. All of those allow a little extra roleplaying, a little more involvement, and yet still get the same result of winding up at the mansion.
    Evan F's Stats

    Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

  3. #63
    URPG! GliscorMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    2,970
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    I'm afraid it came off sounding rather harsh; it really is. And it too would be a last resort. If the players knew that there were set plots, and key events that had to happen, I think there would be less drive to go off on random tangents. A corollary to that is to make sure that the plot hooks are always in front of the players so they always know what their options are, or what the preferred course of action is, so that if they really want to strain their creativity, it still gets them to the places they need to go.

    To use the haunted mansion/missing kids example again, they know their goal is the Pokemon mansion. Perhaps one group wants to visit the Pokemart first to stock up on necessities; another group may want to sneak up on the place through the woods; a third may want to cover themselves as a traveling encyclopedia salesmen group. All of those allow a little extra roleplaying, a little more involvement, and yet still get the same result of winding up at the mansion.
    But if they wanted to go to Cerulean, that is a different point entirely. That is what I generally meant, but it is okay. And, as a word of advice, I would suggest that no one focuses entirely on food/lights/drink if the group is stuck in a Dungeon with no way out; add crates of Ohio Blue Tip Torches and vending machines if you need to.

    Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

  4. #64
    Head of the URPG HKim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,718

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    I would like to encourage members (especially those on the Mission staff list) to post threads addressing specific issues that they view as needing discussion. The more we prepare, the sooner we can get started and the better the system will be.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    So I remembered this thing, as I had forgotten about the roleplaying area. I'm looking around and thinking about trying to help.

    Editing because who double posts anymore?

    I like how the trial mission looks, but that's because I'm reading the posts in quick succession. What if someone isn't available? The DM is needed every other post, and if they were gone for even a day, some people could be impatient. I was thinking that assuming that someone's action couldn't really fail, eg someone using agility whilst out of range of everything and away from sight and hazards on a nice day on a flat plain, the DM recording it could be skipped for the time and have more than one person move before recording.

    Also, in a more general idea, I think some sorta combo system or something is just waiting to be implemented with Pokémon moving in succession.
    Last edited by woops; 6th December 2010 at 10:46 PM.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    what an ultra rpg game, if it was pokemon, would need a massive world ( simple because we can already just add all the present regions together and connect the gaps in between them and maybe even have a next generation world created for this ultra rpg) and it would need a massive online multiplayer feature. That would be amazing. Think of what else could go along in an ultra rpg (pokemon style) that already has a great world you would for sure be familiar with somewhere you take yourself ( or your friends ) vise versa. So yeah, a great big world new and old with many many discoveries to be made and mysteries to be solved with all your friends and rivals thanks to having an online multiplayer feature.

  7. #67
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Black City
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmaster View Post
    what an ultra rpg game, if it was pokemon, would need a massive world ( simple because we can already just add all the present regions together and connect the gaps in between them and maybe even have a next generation world created for this ultra rpg) and it would need a massive online multiplayer feature. That would be amazing. Think of what else could go along in an ultra rpg (pokemon style) that already has a great world you would for sure be familiar with somewhere you take yourself ( or your friends ) vise versa. So yeah, a great big world new and old with many many discoveries to be made and mysteries to be solved with all your friends and rivals thanks to having an online multiplayer feature.
    Fucking...GENIUS!!!!!!!!!

  8. #68
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The World of Shadows
    Posts
    421
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Pokemon Missions Discussion

    Well from what I have see in this thread this is going to be a great hit or a great fail either way count me in.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •