Encounters - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Encounters

Blog Entries

Default Re: Encounters

I seriously don't like the buff limit, and wouldn't it be better to have a plot objective in this? Like you need to get past these guards so you can sabotage the computer. If they get to the alarm, you loose. That kind of thing. Although the treasure patch is a good idea.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Yes, in general plot objectives will be used, but that's up to the mission designer. There can't be mission objectives in every Encounter, and these items give an example of how the Encounter can be controlled by the DM without tacking on extra story-based stuff.

And I like the time-limit idea, Kanga. Say each boosting move that raises you above a multiplier of 1 lasts for three turns before wearing off. And if you further raise that stat, then one turn is added to the timer. For example (only posted the stuff that pertains to the example):

Vaporeon is sent out. (DEF Multiplier = 0) (Time Limit N/A)
    Vaporeon is hit by Screech. (DEF Multiplier = -2) (Time Limit N/A because debuffs don't have a time limit)
    END OF TURN
    Vaporeon uses Acid Armour. (DEF Multiplier = 0) (Time Limit N/A because the buff cancels out the debuff)
    END OF TURN
    Vaporeon uses Acid Armour. (DEF Multiplier = 2) (Time Limit 3 Turns)
    END OF TURN (Time Limit decrements by one)
    Vaporeon uses Acid Armour. (DEF Multiplier = 3) (Time Limit 3 Turns because increased stat raising adds only one turn to the limit)
    END OF TURN (Time Limit decrements by one)

If you do it any other way, like tracking each individual raise, things could get very messy very quickly and mistakes would be easy to make, so I think this system is a fair compromise. Also, the only other thing is perhaps the Time Limit should be raised to four, but that's up to discussion.

Lastly, I also like your idea about the majority of Pokemon in the area of effect having control, but then that point might become like an unassailable fort. For example, imagine four Snorlax in a 50% DEF/SDEF area. If there aren't enough Trainers to cover them mon-by-mon, the Snorlax would be invincible. If we make it a simple "touch the flag" option (i.e. choose between that and attacking) then it adds tactical depth, i.e. "Is it worth potentially sacrificing my Sandslash to negate the Points' effects? Or would it be better to just attack?"
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

ok sounds goo lets keep the touch the flag option and increase the time limit to 4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123