Whoo...my first thread I get to start. Please forgive the generic vague-ness of this rpg's plot...it's my first pokemon one.
It has been fifteen years since a shaky peace has settled over the Pokemon world. Fifteen years since Team Rocket began it's shadow rule of Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto, becoming a veritable mafia which the law has only limited power to hold in check. Fifteen years since the massive war between Teams Aqua and Magma tore the Hoenn region to shreds, leaving it only a shadow of it's former self -- a war which neither side won. Fifteen years since Team Galactic’s scientific prowess helped it become the force – seemingly from nowhere – that controlled all the scientific knowledge of Sinnoh and, consequently, the entire Pokemon world...and a force which now is unwillingly under the thumb of Team Rocket. Though Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh are all funtioning fairly normally, Hoenn is all but deserted, save for the pokemon and those who managed to survive the brutal war.
But now, things are changing again. Something strange is happening – the legendary pokemon are disappearing mysteriously. It began slowly, about twelve years after the war, without much notice. But now, the balance of nature itself is being thrown off due to the absence of these powerful pokemon, who are so intimately tied to the natural world, and people are taking notice. The wild pokemon are becoming more and more restless, some even attacking humans; lakes and rivers grow silent and dry; once rich fields of grass and vast expanses of forest begin to wither and die. No one knows what, or who, is causing these disappearances, but one thing is clear: it must be stopped.
You are an established trainer in this world, and either have captured or have strong ties to one of the legendary pokemon. Maybe when you were small, living on the shores of Lake Acuity, you always felt the wise, protective presence of Uxie, though you may not have actually seen it. Or perhaps you live near or on the Whirl Islands, and have earned the trust of Lugia or it’s young. Maybe you have actually captured a legendary pokemon, and earned it’s trust and respect to the point where it fights for you just as hard – if not harder – than your other pokemon. Whether or not you are still a trainer or have settled down, you must keep your connection with the legendary pokemon in some way.
Rules for Pokemon Teams
1. In the interest of fairness, NO PLAYER will be allowed more than ONE (1) legendary pokemon on their team, should they choose to have captured one. There is a maximum limit of ONE (1) pseudo-legendary per team as well. Also, no more than ONE (1) pokemon from the Uber tier may be present on a team. As there are some legendaries that are not in this tier, a player must choose between a legendary and/or pseudo-legendary, or an Uber tier pokemon. However, the legendary pokemon are on a first-come, first-served basis, so if a player wants a specific legendary pokemon, they must check to see that no other player has that pokemon. Pseudo-legendaries and Uber tier pokemon that are not legendaries, however, may be present on more than one team.
SIMPLIFIED: If a person has a Dragonite, a pseudo-legendary pokemon, they may also have a legendary pokemon, but not one that is in the Uber tier. Another player may also have a Dragonite on their team, but not the same legendary pokemon, and it also may not be in the Uber tier. If a player has an Uber tier pokemon on their team, they may have neither a non-Uber legendary or pseudo-legendary pokemon also on their team).
2. Pokemon will be allowed to know a total of SEVEN (7) moves instead of the regular four – however, if a player wishes their pokemon to know fewer than seven moves, this is acceptable.
3. No more than SIX (6) pokemon may be carried around by a single player at once. However, if your character has settled down somewhat and no longer travels, they are allowed to keep all their pokemon with them, so long as they never travel or battle with any more than six. The other pokemon a character has caught, but does not carry around, are kept at the lab of the professor from the region they are from (Orange Islands and Sevii Islands pokemon go to Professor Oak)
4. Try to be original when creating a team. You can use your team on Diamond or Pearl if you want, but if every player has a team made up of the same OU pokemon, this is gonna get real boring real fast.
5. Please do not use Pokemon that you have made up yourself and do not really exist (aka Fakemon). ‘Shadow’ pokemon from the game Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness are also off limits, please. Only the pokemon which already exist in the main series may be used in this rpg.
6. There is only one legendary pokemon that is known to have offspring – Lugia. If a player wishes their trainer to have captured Lugia, please specify what has happened to either the parent or offspring (whichever the player did not capture) that was left behind. Also, this does not rescind the rule that legendaries are on a first-come, first-served basis. If one player wishes to have Lugia on their team, no other players may capture the remaining Lugia. However, they can provide a solid backstory wherein they forged a connection of some sort with the remaining Lugia, unless the first player has stated somehow that the other Lugia has died/left and hasn’t been seen since/has been stolen/etc.
7. For the purposes of this rpg, Latios is alive and available for use.
Other Rules and Things to Keep in Mind
1. Though this rpg begins in the Sinnoh region, your character may be from any of the known regions, including the Orange or Sevii Islands, and will travel to most – if not all – of the other regions. For convenience’s sake, the Orange Islands will be considered part of the Kanto region. The Sevii Islands, being so far geographically from Kanto, will be referred to as a region somewhat of their own; however, they will have the same starters and pokemon as the Kanto region. Please give your characters a legitimate reason to be in the Sinnoh region at the beginning of the rpg.
2. No player may create more than TWO (2) trainers. This limit includes players who may want to make their trainer character involved with the disappearances of the legendary pokemon. However, there is no limit on characters that are NOT trainers – your character’s parents or siblings, for example. Generic characters, such as Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, or the like, will be shared. Professors will be played by a single person, however, this does not cut into their trainer limit, and are also available to play on a first-come, first-served basis. To avoid clutter, however, please try and keep the number of non-trainer characters to a minimum.
3. To encourage creativity and originality among the players, characters from the anime or games (Ash, Cynthia, Paul, May, Gary, etc.) may be played upon PRIOR REQUEST ONLY, but the player will not be allowed a second trainer unless needed and otherwise noted. Characters in charge of organizations (such as Giovanni or Cyrus) are available for normal play, once again on a first-come, first-served basis, and do not require a prior request. Characters such as Jessie, James, and Meowth, however, may all be played by one person, as they are a group. Another player may request the original player to play one of the group in particular, and they will then play that character in conjunction with the original player.
SIMPLIFIED: I am playing all three members of Team Rocket. RandommemberX sends me a private message asking to play Jessie. If I agree, then I will still control James and Meowth, while RandommemberX will play Jessie with me.
4. This rpg works most easily if the character being played is NOT a 10-year old just starting out on their journey. This is the group of trainers who are least likely to have a connection with any of the legendary pokemon. However, if you wish, you may create your character this way – just present a believable backstory as to how this 10-year old has a connection with a legendary pokemon.
5. Before posting an intro, a player must post a brief biography of their character(s). This bio must include a reason why the character(s) are in the Sinnoh region. Also, the character's main team must be posted. If applicable, a trainer is allowed up to TEN (10) 'alternate' pokemon, which are pokemon that the trainer owns and battles with, but are not a part of his/her main team and are not regularly carried around by the trainer. Alternate pokemon CANNOT contain any 'extra' legendaries or pseudo-legendaries. Members of the main team may be substitued by an alternate at any time the player wishes, through PC exchange, but the six-pokemon limit for a team remains in place. Characters who are not trainers do not require a bio beforehand and can just be incoporated straight into the intro.
Here goes nothing! Hope you all enjoy it!