Would you want another Academy RP?

Thread: Would you want another Academy RP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit GastlyGibus's Youtube Channel

Default Would you want another Academy RP?

Because clearly we don't have enough of them.

So I've been entertaining this idea for a role play for a bit now, but there's something holding me back. That something is the setting the role play will take place in.

Now, originally, I wanted to have your traditional boarding school type role play. There was going to be some mystery involved that would eventually escalate into a full-blown conspiracy, and the students could choose to get involved or not and help change the direction of the story.

And therein lies the problem. >_>

See, we already have a ton of Academy/Boarding School role plays here, and I feel like it's been done to death. I, personally, don't mind Academy role plays because I think they're fun, but I don't want to start another school setting if nobody else wants one. So I come here to pry the minds of my fellow role-players; does the idea of a boarding-school mystery role play sound good? Pokemon or non-Pokemon? Yes? No? Maybe so? Throw me your ideas! :D
    Last edited by GastlyGibus; 18th January 2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling is a thing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would you want another Academy RP?

I've never been into this type of RP before, but a change is starting to sound nice. I'll share some ideas of concepts that I would perhaps be content to RP on.

If you're going for a non-Pokemon setting, giving the players powers will sure make things interesting - everyone loves to be special. Establishing a magic system will greatly help to direct everyone. Maybe a College of mages in a medieval setting with influence to the politics of a Kingdom/Empire. They could be bounty hunters, problem solvers, or just students getting deeper into the spectrum of magic.

In the Pokemon setting, I think having the Academy be a school for Pokemon trainers would be kind of dull, as the idea has been used over and over again, as you said. I'd like a Pokemon-only setting, perhaps of the nature of Mystery Dungeon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Would you want another Academy RP?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
    I've never been into this type of RP before, but a change is starting to sound nice. I'll share some ideas of concepts that I would perhaps be content to RP on.

If you're going for a non-Pokemon setting, giving the players powers will sure make things interesting - everyone loves to be special. Establishing a magic system will greatly help to direct everyone. Maybe a College of mages in a medieval setting with influence to the politics of a Kingdom/Empire. They could be bounty hunters, problem solvers, or just students getting deeper into the spectrum of magic.

In the Pokemon setting, I think having the Academy be a school for Pokemon trainers would be kind of dull, as the idea has been used over and over again, as you said. I'd like a Pokemon-only setting, perhaps of the nature of Mystery Dungeon.
    I like the concept, though I feel like putting it in a medieval setting wouldn't be the best. I guess that's just me, but medieval setting tend not to be portrayed very well; everyone would just copy Skyrim and other things. Now, when you speak of magic systems, I would hope that it isn't super restrictive. Like, you can ban certain abilities, but make sure that you aren't tying anyone down with it. Frankly, I would love to see a non-Pokemon RP setting with a school for magic in a present-day setting, or even somewhere neo.

Now, as for the Pokemon setting, a Mystery Dungeon academy has been done many times as I've seen. Academies, themselves, were apparently something huge when I joined about three years ago. It's still popular now, but I feel like unless you do something with it by expanding on what has happened in the past with similar RPs, spinning it and making it original, there won't be much you can do without potentially losing players due to lack of originality.

What I would propose is a non-Pokemon school for magic (under a different name - Aura, maybe) where, instead of going there to simply take classes, you're there to research on magic and embark on different tests while learning. That would be like a school, except it's more like an institute for those who want to be astounding and don't feel like sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher droll on and on about their hidden potentials and the class schedule before and after lunchtime.