Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This) - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This)

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This)

I did not say journey Rps. I said I dislike Rps with no set up, and people then not doing anything in said Rps. I jsut want some more originality and for that you usually need a bit bigger set up.

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it might have something to do with the fact that the mainline Pokemon games are terrible RPGs. Most fans of Pokemon will come in with rather simplistic expectations of RPing, because that's what they're used to. Obviously, that's not a hard and fast rule, but to members who come into this forum with no experience but Pokemon, they're going to stick to what they know. It took until Generation III to develop something more than a general 'random events that hero comes across to solve at just the right time' plot, and until Generation V for the series to finally get strong characterization in general and a deep look at the villain's motivation in addition to their general goal of causing mayhem. And while it could have an excuse as a rather old series, they're from the same era as Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII, arguably the greatest of the FF series and the best JRPGs of their time.

Don't get me wrong, Pokemon is a great and fun game series. But in terms of story and worldbuilding demanded by RPGs today, it sets the bar rather low.
    Master Mew likes this.

Blog Entries

and witht he pokemon series it would have been so easy to explain some of them. like Auqa and Magma's leaders. Maybe Maxie almost drown once, or his family was lost at sea. while possibly and earthquake killed Archie's family. those are the right people... IDK been a while, and I don't care to wiki it. some effort in some people would be nice. I also bet if pokemon put forth more effort then its fans would be better. think about it. if pokemon was a very serious and dark game its fans would be serious and dark. I'm not advertising that (actually I do want some more of that though. lemme be a viglinate and kill bad guys using my pokemon and my fists. Pokemon's Creed anyone!?).

Ok segway back to topic. theres another thing pokemon RPs should expand ont he mainstream. if your not adding anything then I say don't bother. Maybe thats what we should do split up the SUs. noobs, pros, and semi-pro. people stay where they are and if they go to big RPs they had better be that kind of person. sorry but this is a bit of rage here. I mean it. I dislike RPers who as I say LACK A SOUL! they have mary sues, no imagination, and no idea what originality is. if they wanna be here fine, but they can go play in their own place away from me.

So yeah I want the equivilant of an aparthide so that vets and noobs are seperate. like I said I'm a bit angry, but I blame nintendo for failing pokemon so many times.

Blog Entries

I disagree. Just becuase someone's doing something simple, does that make it bad? I mean, sometimes, I might like a dinner with some fancy steak and all sorts of stuff, right? But other times, I just want a hamburger and some fries, know?

Besides, if people just stopped doing normal journey RPs, newer RPers wouldn't be able to see what they're like. And journey RPs are good for new players. They're easy to play, and simple, so they can just focus on learning the ropes.

Finally, complexity is kinda less the GMs job in journeys. That's because they already have a plot; That is to say, people going through and getting badges. It's one of the few RPs that can work if players are left to their own devices. I've seen it work more than once.
    Last edited by Heroic Sociopath; 29th July 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

追放されたバカ

I feel that the RP section's content are divided into experience cliques where those who are relatively new are preempted by the "Senior" RPers.

I also get the impression that certain GMs don't like "strangers" entering their RPs if the GM is "attached" to their source material too tightly.

Furthermore, a consensual definition of godmodding vs. creative freedom, "screentime" limits, minimum RP length, posting frequency per RP and a GM's power over a game's world/players(I see too much browbeating over this matter here)are necessary to get us off of Life Support.

And some R&D into the latest RPing ideas wouldn't hurt.

Finally, we need to firmly establish an universal rule set involving democratic decision-making processes, voter/poll bias checking committees, kick-out appeal systems, and player equality acts.

And all that is just the tip of the iceberg to get the RP area off of life support.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Keith View Post
    I also get the impression that certain GMs don't like "strangers" entering their RPs if the GM is "attached" to their source material too tightly.
    Frustrating to new RP'rs, but this is ultimately up to the GM's discretion. No action is needed here, in my opinion, to prevent this phenomenon - after all, if a GM doesn't want me in their RP, I have no desire to force my way in.

Furthermore, a consensual definition of godmodding vs. creative freedom
    Has been done by the RP staff. Repeatedly.
    "screentime" limits, minimum RP length, posting frequency per RP
    ...What?
    a GM's power over a game's world/players
    Has also been addressed repeatedly by Staff.
    And some R&D into the latest RPing ideas wouldn't hurt.
    I agree, creativity has largely stagnated of late, but short of submitting some brilliant ideas ourselves, there isn't much to be done about this.
    Finally, we need to firmly establish an universal rule set involving democratic decision-making processes, voter/poll bias checking committees, kick-out appeal systems, and player equality acts.
    All of these issues should, in my opinion, be addressed by individual GMs. Those who can't handle such responsibilities are too lazy to be hosting to begin with.
    And all that is just the tip of the iceberg to get the RP area off of life support.
    Easy to say, but where is the rest of this hypothetical iceberg? Enlighten us with your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNomad View Post
    Ok segway back to topic. theres another thing pokemon RPs should expand ont he mainstream. if your not adding anything then I say don't bother. Maybe thats what we should do split up the SUs. noobs, pros, and semi-pro. people stay where they are and if they go to big RPs they had better be that kind of person. sorry but this is a bit of rage here. I mean it. I dislike RPers who as I say LACK A SOUL! they have mary sues, no imagination, and no idea what originality is. if they wanna be here fine, but they can go play in their own place away from me.

So yeah I want the equivilant of an aparthide so that vets and noobs are seperate. like I said I'm a bit angry, but I blame nintendo for failing pokemon so many times.
    Just... no. I agree with much of what you've said in this thread, but this elitist attitude (which I'm often guilty of myself) doesn't help. Heck, those of us with our heads in the clouds can't even get along with each other half the time, so blaming the up-and-coming is hardly fair. And apartheid is not the answer.

A Prefix system where we could denote the skill-level of a roleplay when we submit the Sign-Up thread might be something worth looking into, but it's really not hard to deny applications from RP'rs who you fear won't live up to your expectations - or alternatively, those of us who thing so highly of ourselves could actually come alongside and teach the less experienced RP'rs... just a thought.
    Last edited by Master Mew; 30th July 2012 at 12:45 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

liek I said that was jsut rage boiling over, but hey better I do that here then just hold it in and murder a new member over it. Yes I am a bit elitist because I've spent over 1/3 purely doing pokemon and Rps (that's about 6 years. with everythign added up over time)). I'm also extremely closed about new ideas and am not good with new people. I prefer the old ways and what naught because well that the kind of problem I live with. I'm aspergian I have issues like that.

Still the bland and basic world of pokemon has been set up to fail. there are so many possiblities and they need to be tried. I say we atleast put a journey section up since it really is almost its own genre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Keith View Post
    I feel that the RP section's content are divided into experience cliques where those who are relatively new are preempted by the "Senior" RPers.
    I've never noticed that. There's not even really enough people for that...There are like, maybe 20 regulars, at the very most. When I started, it took maybe, like, a few weeks for me to get settled in.

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNomad View Post
    I'm aspergian I have issues like that.
    Do you have to use that as an excuse? It gives us a bad name, man. It's kind of a stereotype that we're socially inept people that use our disability as an excuse to get special privileges. And that's terrible.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!

Blog Entries

it affects everyone differently thank you, and its not an excuse its just who I am.

追放されたバカ

Do not use Asperger's Syndrome as a crutch. I've been taught that for years.

Still, we need some more rules, and less mustard.

Blog Entries

I have been to other forums. Quite a few. One thing I've noticed is that ones where the users have kind of a public chatbox works really well, because then people can discuss what they do in RPs. It gets rid of some of the competitiveness, and makes it so people are more interested in making sure it's fun for everything. I don't know if that's viable here, but it would be nice to incorporate something like that.

Blog Entries

I actually kinda hate chat-boxes (too messy), and unless I'm misunderstanding the proposed concept here, I believe the OOC threads are designated for this purpose.

Blog Entries

The one in my forum is down near the end, so you usually don't have to look at it. And I have noticed that RPs with OOC threads last longer, although that might be just because longer-lasting ones are more likely to end up needing one.

Blog Entries

Yeah, your premise is observably correct, RPs with OOC threads tend to last longer - but it is, as you said, a chicken-or-egg situation.

The other issue with a live-chatbox is that, from a practical standpoint, I'm not sure it's really possible to have separate chatboxes for individual sub-forums, let alone individual threads.

Blog Entries

Follow Oblivion on Tumblr Visit Oblivion's Youtube Channel

The point of basic journey RPs was brought up earlier...and, honestly, I see no reason to condemn them. As I stated in my massive essay earlier, complicated plots and RP structures can be a major turn-off to newer RPs. Heck, sometimes even some of us more experienced RPers want to participate in a more simplistic RP, as maybe a bit of a break from all of the intricacies of complicated ones. As Pi said, sometimes you want a really fancy meal, but sometimes you just really want a burger and fries. I myself am a participant in overarching RPs as well as simple ones.

That being said, there was also the point of there being multiple echelons of status here in the section, and to be honest, I kind of agree. In addition to there being various skill levels in regards to RPing, ome of us prefer really complicated RPs, and the method of storytelling, and the complicated plot structure...and then there are just some of us who want to have fun with RPs and not have to worry about that kind of stuff. Though, I should mention that just because someone prefers simpler RPs does not necessarily make them an inherently worse RPer. I don't want this to devolve into a contest to figure out who can make the most over-complicated story structure. That isn't what this is about.

The thing is, we shouldn't look at the newer guys with a condescending point of view. We should help them, provide feedback on the way they run RPs, their writing style, etc. etc. I once again state, the Metronome Forum is there for a reason. Use it. If you want help with figuring out how to run RPs, if you need to confirm any nagging suspicions that you might have, if you just need help with writing, then use that forum. There are people here who would be glad to help you out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast