Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This)

Blog Entries

Default Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This)

Titular.

Here in our RP forums we throw around a lot of good ideas, consistently generate strong interest, and nothing sticks. Precious few plots are ever played out to completion, to the point where many GMs seem to no longer consider completion a viable goal.

Is this a problem that needs to be addressed, or just the nature of the beast (forum roleplaying)? What do YOU think is the recipe for permanence in a play-by-post RP?

Let's solve this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Do Our RPs Lack Staying Power? (Let's Solve This)

That's a good point. I think it is a goal, and I like to achieve it with all my RPs, but it seems to never end well (Except 3 of my RPs that have actually finished, despite there was less players in the end). I think it's also because the players can stop RPing as well, so they lose interest and the RP dies, the GM gives up on it (And don't get me started on the SU's), sometimes the GM is at fault as well, I am not sure of I have any ideas for it though, but there are some like Trebloome, Ravenclaw and Nebula Academies that have lasted a long time, especially the former.
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

I've been in a grand total of one RP that wasn't here, so I dunno if more are completed elsewhere. I'd say it's a problem that can be solved, though.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

Blog Entries

An RPG is like an organism, Even if the GM gives, if the other players like that RP enough. The Other people can continue and take control. A CO-GM could help as well just in case one falls, there's a back up not to mention that the two of them can discuss plots making the RPG plot more intresting and complex. Some people get bored because the RPG starts out fun but it gets stale because the plot doesn't have enough twists and turns or characters don't make enough development. (Which is often the death of most Journey RP's tragically.) As long as the plot is well thought and the RPG is active. I think it can thrive.

Blog Entries

It's a group effort. Academy RPs last a long time because they don't really need much plot. I think the issue is lots of GMs expect their RPs to last 500 pages without people getting bored. I've had great success with some shorter RPs I've made.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I think one matter is how active one is, especially the GM. If the GM leaves the plot on one point in the story for too long, then it can be annoying. Having and interesting but not confusing plot is another, also having enough active posters. If no one is active then it won't move along.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mwto View Post
    I think one matter is how active one is, especially the GM. If the GM leaves the plot on one point in the story for too long, then it can be annoying. Having and interesting but not confusing plot is another, also having enough active posters. If no one is active then it won't move along.
    How does one foster activity? After all, BMGf has plenty of active posters, including a plethora of active RPers, yet getting any of those RPers to actually commit to a particular RP long-term seems always out of reach.

Have you ever dropped out of an active RP prematurely? If so, why? What would have made you stay?

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwto View Post
    How does one foster activity? After all, BMGf has plenty of active posters, including a plethora of active RPers, yet getting any of those RPers to actually commit to a particular RP long-term seems always out of reach.

Have you ever dropped out of an active RP prematurely? If so, why? What would have made you stay?

Not yet, but some I have just started, I'm having difficult time keeping interest as the GM seems to pop on for one quick post, and then pops off before there is much chance to interact, I'm also confused about things that haven't been properly answered since the GM isn't on often enough.

Blog Entries

Well, @jasonwolf; and I both had minor characters in a Percy Jackson RPG, but as others started dropping-out, our two became more and more developed, and finally, the GM (Who wasn't a very good GM, as he kept trying to godmod us) gave-up, and we took-over. That RP was completed, and we now have a successful seires, the Legends Of Demigods games, the fourth installment of which is coming-out this summer.

(Shameless sluf-plug!)
    I don't care about IVs or EVs, or natures or anything. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and I love them like that.

Blog Entries

Well, I've done a lot of RPing around TV Tropes, although I've only just started here, got one signup going and in one RP, but I can say completion was definitely a problem there too. Almost all RPs died out halfway through, and I can count exactly two that haven't yey (and they haven't finished, but they've been running so long they might as well have. Except even one of those is very clearly on its last legs. So I'd put at least some of it down to the nature of the beast.

I may look like an idiot, I may sound like an idiot, but don't let that fool you; I really am an idiot.

Blog Entries

I'm not proud of it but sometimes i drop out RP's because the plot doesn't have a lot twists and turns which then becomes boring. The often death of Journey and Academy RPG's because they lack plot twists and just become endless posting of chat between characters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post

By making the RP fun. If you like a video game, you're gonna play it a lot. If you don't like it, you'll leave it alone.
    Karma Kidd likes this.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
    Well, @jasonwolf; and I both had minor characters in a Percy Jackson RPG, but as others started dropping-out, our two became more and more developed, and finally, the GM (Who wasn't a very good GM, as he kept trying to godmod us) gave-up, and we took-over. That RP was completed, and we now have a successful seires, the Legends Of Demigods games, the fourth installment of which is coming-out this summer.

(Shameless sluf-plug!)
    yeah, but in that series its very often carried by those two characters. I contorl the villains, the gods, the anithero and more. Besides that all my other RPs often lack members before they lack staying power. I spend hours writing up these RPs and come up with all sorts of stuff, but no one bothers to even say anything. I've had three in a row without any replies. Personally I think people need to stop doing the standerd RPs and try somethign new. I mean how many times do people just do Pokemon kanto hereos! or Pokemon Johto adventures! or Unova legends! sure they are great for the first five seconds but nothign holds them together to make a real RP.

I've gone a head and written an Rp with enough plot possibilities to last indefinantly, but what happens? no one signs up. when they do they drop out. if they don't drop out they go on to do the RP, but never do the PLOT! they just goof off training their pokemon instead of the actual RP, and I see that all the time in other RPs.

I've got seven fixes:

1. cut the crap. we don't need any more unoriginal pokeventures. try and actually make something different.

2. bother to be involved. Forget not being active even if your RP is if the GM doesnt bother to actually give a plot to the story then they aren't doing jack. The GMs job is to guide the plot not enforce it but guide it witha firm hand.

3. stop training your pokemon. instead of making pokemon level up from battles or things like that make then get progressively stronger as the RP goes the further you get in the RP the better your pokemon. along with that cut down the number of battles. I get pokemon are about battling, but if thats all you do you dont bother to do any RPing. No battling does not count since one consistant battle would not move along the plot. Also note how in the games you do two three hits and the foe is knocked out, so you can just move on after that. In the show its generally one battle per episode. Don't aim for the anime length or else you'll waste too much time.

4. Give some reason. half the time in an Rp there feels like you are doing it all for no reason. Often in sandbox games this happens alot, so you gotta find a real reason to RP. don't just want to be the best trainer bother to be a human being and do something else in your life.

5. diversify. I started out doing purely pokemon Rps here, but now I do almost anything I can find. this may be a pokemon forum, but it doesnt mean all we do is pokemon.

6. write. you heard me. if you are gonna RP bother to actually RP. I mean come on people. sure one and two lines are fine for really quick conversations, but RPing is like writing a book you cant just do one or two lines.

7. SOLO and DUO. no one gets it but you can RP alone. if everyone else starts to disappear jsut keep going. Me and Elphie kept LoD alive by Rping together. You also need to RP away from people. don't get absorbed into a group the entire RP or you'll be stuck waiting forever people.
    Master Mew and Madara Uchiha like this.

Blog Entries

Yeah. The last hald of LOD was Our two characters going back and forth, which is why they're so much more developed than any of the others in the games. And we're both writers, so we get into shit. J, am I right?
    I don't care about IVs or EVs, or natures or anything. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and I love them like that.

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Face View Post

By making the RP fun. If you like a video game, you're gonna play it a lot. If you don't like it, you'll leave it alone.
    This is the best advice I've seen in this entire thread.

You got to keep the RP fun, fresh, and original.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a prick but when everybody talks liek dis, it can be annoying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast