tabletop RPs ont he Forums? Is it possible?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: tabletop RPs ont he Forums? Is it possible?

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default tabletop RPs ont he Forums? Is it possible?

I’ve had the curious Idea of developing a new style to forum RP with. I’m a big fan of table top RPGs like DnD, but they require lots of preplanning and for the group to get together before hand. My proposal is to try and make a forum RP that is capable of adding in the in depth character creation, stats, and gear of an table top as well as the level/worlds, but all done in the forum of the forum PR so it is accessible. I do have a plot idea sort of figured out, but it needs more work. Anyone up to step into the void of some new territory?

And Yes I know there have been attempts like it but I want to try and do this with my own skills and ideas.
    Yun likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: tabletop RPs ont he Forums? Is it possible?

There are RP systems available for free online. Genius the Transgression comes to mind. The entire ruleset for 3.5e Dungeons and Dragons is also available online here: The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org

There have also been some RPs where stats and dice have been used.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Even Rocky had a Montage AlphaMouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds great. I tried to do something like this on War Room before, but it wasn't RPG enough. I'd be interested if you did this.

Blog Entries

Well Grit that's one thing that's hard to manage. how do i know you're rolling die? The legitimacy of of RPers with out either A. Skype or some other program like it where I can see whats happening or B. a program to roll for us would probably be needed. I was thinking I'd use the tried and true method you'll often see in Pokemon RPs for captures. better post better chances, but of coutse thats still flawed.

I also prefer my older version of D&D. My family even has a house rule set for multiple GM since most of us are rather newbie at it. this way we all can work together on what GMs need to do, also makes searchign for stuff faster.

Blog Entries

Roll Dice
    This site lets you roll a dice and assign it to a given character, so you don't need to use the honor system. And what edition do you use? 3.5 is kinda old already, seeing as they've announced 5e.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!

Blog Entries

the original. My dad played back in his high school and college days.

Yun
    Blog Entries

This sounds like something I can definitely get behind. I wish I could contribute more, but sadly; my DnD skills are... lacking.

Blog Entries

well its not DnD I just use that as my tabletop example as it is the biggest one. I pretty much want to develop this on my own/ with a group of others.

This discussion is really to find people who want to organize an RP with this overall style of both tabletop RPG and forum RP. I'm foreseeing lots of character work and tracking, some great player controlled plots, and more. I just need a team who can get behind it, and push.

Blog Entries

Sure, why not. You want to make your own system from scratch, is that what you be sayin'?

Blog Entries

sort of. one specific to the RP. So then we can put only the mechanics we need.

Blog Entries

Alright, I take it we're talking non-pokemon...Are we gonna have a skill system, then? Feats, maybe? What kinda role is magic gonna play? It'd be cool if magic was kinda rare and hard to use properly...How about some kinda post-apocalyptic future world, but with magic? Like Fallout meets Skyrim?

Blog Entries

Well what I had put together so far was a retake on the whole zombie apocalypse thing. We always see the modern zombies where they of course are coming from a disease and are mindless animals at most. I want to have a/some nercomancer(s) bring back a large amount of various sorts of undead, and then we do some good old fashion medieval fighting back.

now mechanics wise those are some good points.

I'd start most broadly there are classes. probably basic and well known ones. then I'd break down skills as actual skills not actions. Ex. stealthiness, deception, deftness, evasiveness would all be thief skills. then any action like pick-pocketing would require deception and deftness, while bluffing is deception.

following?

hard to control magic? perfect could explain why we got necromancy so rampantly. at least if we go with that plot. of course if this is team based lots of sides coming in would be best.

Blog Entries

Dude! What if it wasn't just zombies, but, like, other kinds of undead too? Like maybe vampires? Just thinkin' out loud. And so the setting is going to be medieval...Maybe it would be cool if the necromancers caused the world to end, so there are remnants of modern times? Like, you might find a computer and some grenades in an underground bunker. And like maybe you'd need a skill to know how to use 'em?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwolf View Post
    bring back a large amount of various sorts of undead
    and the world would be slightly less destroyed as of course its an army not a plague. this means the world can still come back instead of your already screwed why bother? which is one of my issues with modern zombies.

Blog Entries

Ah, right. Anyway, so lessee...The setting's gonna be kinda post apocalyptic, but with bits of technology lying around, and various undead beasties. And also magic.

It might be neat if there was a skill you needed to use tech. Like, you might find a computer in an underground bunker, and to use it right, you'd need to pass a technology check. And you might find some kind of robot, and if you had a high enough tech skill, you could rebuild it and use it yourself.

How do you feel about not just undead, but other monsters? Like demons. Maybe the necromancers got their power by summoning one really big scary demon, and it like caused the world to be in it's present state, with them controlling large areas?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast