The Sounding Board - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Sounding Board

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Sounding Board

It should be fair. Hard, but fair. Player characters should only die if they aren't careful or do something stupid. Anyways, I mean the PCs should be the only ones in their race who have the power. It's just cooler that way.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sky Flame Haze is right. The emphasis is on extreme emotional instability or focus. Everyone has the potential, it's just that most Chosen never reach that breaking point. Continuing the TTGL analogy, all humans have access to Spiral Power, but only Simon and the rest of Team Dai-Gurren ever really unleash it.

As for the Nintendo Hard aspect, remember, the Ancestral Host is freaking billions of years old. Old parts die of it die off all the time, and new parts are born, so it's not truly invincible, but its size is still practically inconceivable. The Chosen have one worldship at their disposal, no matter how powerful. The Host has galaxies. Until we get to something on par with the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann itself, the Chosen will always receive increasing amounts of pressure from the Host.

Essentially, consider the Sliding Scale of Villain Threat. The Host will simply use as much power as they believe is necessary to destroy the Chosen, and up it every time they're beaten.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

What I mean is that you can't kill someone's character without their consent first unless they're not other option but if there isn't stated in the RP that players have to be prepared for their characters to die then they shouldn't just kill them off for their choices cause then you're basically having people freak out about everything they're going to do because they don't want to get killed and that's not as much fun.

Besides a mistake doesn't necessarily mean death.

And yes for a selected group to have to be the only ones would be cool...and cliched it's better if everyone has the chance of obtaining that ability but only a selected few can actually unlock it.

Blog Entries

Oh, I see. I thought, like, it would be everyone tapping into it on a regular basis or something.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!

Registered User WanderingNamekian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouthful of Xmas View Post
    You act like that's a bad thing. I like your idea. I'd definitely join. Ever play Paranoia? Maybe make it based off of that, kinda. Except maybe less killing each other. That doesn't work well in here.
    Yeah, probably no killing... it'd be based off of the anime, and no one can die there anyway... But hmm... that's an idea, I'll see if I can come up with something for a Rocket RP over the Xmas Break.

Blog Entries

Hello all!

I, The Mysterious Master Mew, have returned from a short sabbatical, bringing fresh, bold new ideas (as well as some new angles on old ones) for the New Year!

Recently, for various reasons, it seems to me that the winds of change have shifted their favor to new genres. To my own surprise, I find myself gradually stepping back from the Sci-Fi angle I've employed near-ceaselessly as the Fantasy genre becomes ever more appealing.

To cut to the chase, rather than bore you with all the details, I've begun working on something - maybe a roleplay, maybe not, depending on the reception. I can promise you this: It won't be another Armeira. I've learned my lesson, I'll come back to tame that beast another day. This will be a more controlled experience (relatively, that is), in a world far more thoroughly thought out. The search for truth will be a dominant theme, in a world where, much like our own, little is certain. You'll carve out your own path, but the task of adding depth and meaning to the world around you will not fall entirely on you as it has in the past with my projects. I assure you, in this case, I'll be working out the details for you in advance; you'll know what world you're stepping into.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome. The specific topic I would appreciate comments on is this: In what ways could Armeira have been executed more effectively?

I look forward to your insights!

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

It needs plot. A lot of people say that inactivity causes RPs to die. That's true, but I think the main cause of inactivity is lack of plot. Also, it would help a lot if everyone started in the same place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kona-Chan View Post
    Also, it would help a lot if everyone started in the same place.
    You think so?

Hmm... I may need to rethink things. I actually like the idea of everyone starting out on their own, individual journey - then meeting up with each other later when their paths cross. But I've always skewed to the side of independent character development over direct interaction.

I have a second question for discussion, then: Am I the only one who enjoys giving their character considerable amounts of "alone time" to develop independent of everyone else?

I realize that if the characters aren't spending any time together then this quickly becomes a project for the Writer's Workshop, rather than the Roleplay District, but I would hope we could arrive somewhere near the middle between the two extremes. When the goal is to create a world where you can be anything you want to be, the idea of everyone working together toward the same goals seems to damage plausibility.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

The problem with that is that people would be solely on their own meaning that it could get kind of boring cause basically you're just writing for yourself rather than for the rest of the RP. Sounds more like a fic when you have all the characters having to move along on their own especially when RPs are about characters banding together.

That being said I don't think alone time is bad for character development but too much of it just makes it boring even in fics they are better if you have more than just one character doing something on their own.

Blog Entries

Well, the distinction between it and a fic would be the fact that there are other people involved, and that their decisions will have, at the very least, indirect consequences on your character(s). I guess my ideal roleplay would really err more on the side of a cooperative fic than a "traditional" roleplay.

Nevertheless, I'm not advocating for characters to spend their whole lives apart, I'm just suggesting that they spend a good deal of time developing individually. Perhaps somewhere in the range of 25-45% of their time alone ("alone" meaning away from other players' characters, not necessarily away from NPCs).

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

It could work but like Kona said it would need a specific plot that they would all partake in even while they're alone.

Blog Entries

Yes, there will be specific events unfolding that will affect everyone, though I have no intention of forcing everyone to the same side of the conflict.

One-sided conflicts are so boring, after all.

Blog Entries

I don't think it's good, just because it's easier to do it off screen. Or just post what your character is thinking. And a large part of RPs is that it's a group effort.

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Players and GMs also tend to have wildly divergent goals and ideas. More often than not, without a strong plot or a unifying goal tying everyone together, the RP just kind of spirals aimlessly. Though judging from the scale of what you're proposing, that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    Players and GMs also tend to have wildly divergent goals and ideas. More often than not, without a strong plot or a unifying goal tying everyone together, the RP just kind of spirals aimlessly. Though judging from the scale of what you're proposing, that might not necessarily be a bad thing.
    You know me so well...

Yes, as always, the "scale" of this project tips toward Epic. Go big or go home, as far as I'm concerned.

There will be a unifying conflict, however I do not intend for it to be so binding as to totally eliminate the possibility of more apathetic characters emerging who would rather turn a blind eye - or worse, exploit the distraction for the furtherance of their own goals. The inaction of the apathetic could be their own undoing, or perhaps not. Who's to say?

EDIT: Also, at this stage in the planning, I've condensed and consolidated responsibilities down to the point of most likely needing two Co-GMs to help things run as smoothly as possible. At a minimum, each position would entail filling the shoes of three significant, though rather removed, characters in the plot. For reasons I don't wish to disclose at the moment, this would also mean that said Co-GMs, along with myself, would be barred from creating "regular" characters to participate in the storyline - at least to begin with.

Let me know if you are seriously interested in serving in such a capacity (Note: In the unlikely event that there are numerous interested parties, it should be said that the selection of Co-GMs will not be made on a first-come, first-served basis; as always, staff positions will be determined at my own discretion).
    Last edited by Master Mew; 4th January 2012 at 02:28 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast