RP Concept

Thread: RP Concept

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default RP Concept

Sorry for the vague title. Anyway, I wanted some feedback on an RP idea I had, to see if it could be improved and whether or not it was worth doing.

Basically, it's a non-Pokemon RP: simply ordinary teenagers going to an ordinary high school on their first day, with all the cliches that implies. The twist is that they end up in a Groundhog Day loop, repeating some period of time at the beginning of the school year--and all think that he or she is the only one looping. And to avoid the obvious reveal, the world ends up changing from loop to loop; there's no easy memorization of details. Everything is as unpredictable as real life, and it's that much harder for the characters to find out that there are other loopers.

Obviously, this is much more character-driven than any other RP I've ever done, hence the need for feedback. The fun ends up coming from everyone's simultaneous attempts to break the loop--more or less resulting in a giant pileup of gambits and schemes.

Though, if this doesn't end up working out, I might just decide to try a whole time traveler war RP instead.

Blog Entries

Default Re: RP Concept

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    Sorry for the vague title. Anyway, I wanted some feedback on an RP idea I had, to see if it could be improved and whether or not it was worth doing.

Basically, it's a non-Pokemon RP: simply ordinary teenagers going to an ordinary high school on their first day, with all the cliches that implies. The twist is that they end up in a Groundhog Day loop, repeating some period of time at the beginning of the school year--and all think that he or she is the only one looping. And to avoid the obvious reveal, the world ends up changing from loop to loop; there's no easy memorization of details. Everything is as unpredictable as real life, and it's that much harder for the characters to find out that there are other loopers.

Obviously, this is much more character-driven than any other RP I've ever done, hence the need for feedback. The fun ends up coming from everyone's simultaneous attempts to break the loop--more or less resulting in a giant pileup of gambits and schemes.

Though, if this doesn't end up working out, I might just decide to try a whole time traveler war RP instead.
    Sounds very confusing.

I have a question: If everything changes with each retelling of the same day, then what - other than the calendar, makes it feel like a Groundhog Day loop? Won't it play out more like a day-by-day telling of the characters' lives?

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

That is... a succinct ad very effective point. I supposed I worded that badly. Unlike Groundhog Day itself, where everyone acts exactly the same in every iteration of the loop, there'll still be differences among the background characters. Basically, the setting itself is always exactly the same, but the NPCs may have different responses and take different actions.

I suppose a slightly better example would be the Endless Eight episodes from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime. It's a similar time loop, with the exact same plot for each loop, but there are a few differences between each cycle: different outfits, different thoughts and conversations, different background characters.

And really, it's a way of keeping the fact there are multiple loopers secret.

...you know, I get the feeling that just made it even more confusing.

Blog Entries

Ah, I see.

Also, does this RP have any perceivable endpoint? Otherwise, I would assume the characters would eventually give up on ending the temporal loop and just accept it.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

Well, it depends on what the players do (and want). Initially and primarily, it should be about the interaction. Frankly, high school can be stressful and daunting; there are things that we all would like to do over. The first few loops would probably be just about having a good time, simply trying out lots of different possible scenarios. Then, it'll either degenerate into insanity, forcing me to advance the plot via some plot revelations, or progress smoothly into the Groundhog Day solution, i.e. better yourself and simply live the best, most sincere life possible.

This RP should be very character-driven, in summary.