ROGUES GALLERY - 'The Superpower Act of 2011' (Poll Coming Soon)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROGUES GALLERY - 'The Superpower Act of 2011' (Poll Coming Soon)

Blog Entries

Exclamation ROGUES GALLERY - 'The Superpower Act of 2011' (Poll Coming Soon)

Welcome to the official Rogues Gallery Congressional Hearing on the Status of Physio-Anomalous Entities In Regards to International Law.

Whew, that was a mouthful.

Anyway, here's the issue I would like to discuss (and, as a side-note, this is a separate thread for two reasons: 1. So I can add a poll later for us to vote on this, and 2. To keep the discussion on topic):

What new 'Law' should we, as a team, pass inside the RGverse to explain how Supervillains (and occasionally even Superheroes) can be immediately apprehended and sent to New Alcatraz (instead of a standard prison) with little no interaction from Law Enforcement and prior to a trial by jury?

My proposal:

The use of "Superpowers" in any way with the intent or consequence of causing physical or psychological harm to a non-physio-anomalous (e.g. "non-super") individual is classified as a First Degree Felony punishable by lifetime imprisonment in, and only in, the I.M.S.P.P.E. Facility (e.g. "New Alcatraz") in New York, New York. A Trial-by-Jury is still necessary, though can be circumvented if the procedure can reasonably be deemed volatile to public safety.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default Re: ROGUES GALLERY - 'The Superpower Act of 2011' (Poll Coming Soon)

Sounds reasonable. The trial by jury would probably end up being skipped a lot, though.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

So if someone gets caught because he kills someone with a gun instead of there superpowers they would be sent to a regular prison?
    "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
    - William Westmoreland

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
    -Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Sounds reasonable. The trial by jury would probably end up being skipped a lot, though.
    True. Some Villains, however, (i.e. Prowler) have Superpowers that don't really pose a threat in court. Also, there are a decent number of character that don't truly possess and superpowers at all (thus excluding them from imprisonment in New Alcatraz at all under this rule - could make things interesting).
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler212 View Post
    So if someone gets caught because he kills someone with a gun instead of there superpowers they would be sent to a regular prison?
    Only if they never used their powers to harm a human being.

So as long as I don't use something I teleported on top of humans, my character would never end up in New Alcatraz unless the jury says so. Most likely with my superpower I would be deemed an easy escape.
    "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
    - William Westmoreland

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
    -Douglas MacArthur

I think there should be something taking into account Heel Face Turns, like Sakak. Like a form of Super Probation or the like. And probably they'd need someone responsible to vouch for them or make some kind of deal with a court.

I could see Trial still being possible in most cases though, just it'd need to be the villain attending by video feed or the like unless even that was not possible.

Ask Pony Discord

Fresh Prince Ladies and Gentlemen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does this mean that people without superpowers, such as Disarray and Icira, could never get sent to New Alcatraz? And wouldn't that mean Super Heroes could get sent there just for using their powers to stop Disarray or Icira, despite them being villains who are quite capable of holding their own against super-powered beings?
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

My RPs:
    Paranatural : Earthbound meets Scooby Doo
    Pokemon RBY RP : I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion.

There's one problem with this law. If a supervillain does not have powers than a superhero that harmed them would legally have to go to prison.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Simple solution: grant the superheroes a "license to kill".

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamaki View Post
    Does this mean that people without superpowers, such as Disarray and Icira, could never get sent to New Alcatraz? And wouldn't that mean Super Heroes could get sent there just for using their powers to stop Disarray or Icira, despite them being villains who are quite capable of holding their own against super-powered beings?
    This is a good point. I think it should be revised to using their powers in a way detramental to public safety instead. As many superheros use there powers to capture non-superpowered criminals. So revising it to using their powers with an intentional intent to commit actions which would harm the public instead seems like a much better law to me.

Ask Pony Discord

Fresh Prince Ladies and Gentlemen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But then, there are villains with more complex motives. Like what about one that wanted to use mind control to make everyone's will dominated by his own for the purpose of creating world piece? Then the hero would still get in trouble, right? I think that 'public safety' is very vague, and so a hero should only get away with it if they have reason to believe that the villain has or is going to break the law.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

My RPs:
    Paranatural : Earthbound meets Scooby Doo
    Pokemon RBY RP : I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion.

*peace

Blog Entries

What several of you have pointed out is correct - under my Proposition (and anyone is free to post their own law for us all to vote on), many Superheroes would be branded fugitive vigilantes.

I'll be your shadow Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

How about if Superheroes are forgiving if it is declared that the person they harmed was a villain or any damage they caused was to help catch one.

Also what happens to super heroes that don't have super powers or who have powers that aren't exactly noticeable or even able to be used in a dangerous manner.

Blog Entries

Any character without superpowers who is deemed a criminal would be sent to a standard Prison.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast