Pokemon Quest : Adventure RPG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pokemon Quest : Adventure RPG

Blog Entries

Default Pokemon Quest : Adventure RPG

@samedwards @dark fawful @Mouthful of Gold @JakkuEbansu @Guardian of Johto @Master Mew @Renewal @Mouthful of Pi

-----

Epic thread title, I know. :p

Anyways, since I promised you folks a much more detailed information about the large scale RPG game I'm making, here I am! It's a text based game by the way, to avoid anymore silly confusions. So read through this entire giant wall of text, understand the ideas, the mechanics, and the network of how this game is going to work. Should you have any questions, please post here. If you have any ideas/suggestions to make things even better, feel free to post them as well!

Before we begin, let me tell you a little bit about this game. This is a Guild+Mission+Adventure based Pokemon RPG. So there are some Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/etc essences here and there, don't be surprised. I've only implemented a few points to enhance the game overall, to give it a much better game play.

So let's get to know the World [need name suggestions] of this RPG by learning its Legendary Tale! I've also hyperlinked a few artwork here and there, so don't miss them out! They're quite the eye candy as you read through ;)

-----

Short Plot Summary

-----

So that's about that. What happened afterwards? It's all history :p
    Anyways, before any questions, read the Esper FAQ below.

Esper FAQ

Q) What is an Esper?
    A) Basically, they are beings with supernatural powers.

Q) Can I catch one in my journey?
    A) No, but you will be using their powers to a certain extend.

Q) Since I'm using their powers, am I God?
    A) No, like I mentioned previously, you use their powers, but you are not an Esper. You start off weak, and get stronger as you progress through this game. Yes, you suck at the start.

Q) How many Espers are there?
    A) I personally made 13, each after a representative of the Zodiac.

Q) What supernatural powers do they possess?
    A) A rough guide is provided below, take a look!

Espers

-----

Timelines

- [Past Map]

- [Present Map]
    * Colored Stars = Guilds' Locations [Not finalized]

Present Map Areas & Descriptions [By Peaceful Moonlight]

-----

The 3 Powers of the Present World

- The Magic Council [World Government]
    - ???
    - The Guilds [Neutral : Supported by the Magic Council]

Description: As you can probably tell, the "Evil" group is not revealed yet. But of course, they're the reason why a lot of bad things are happening in the world. What could their true goal be? You'll never know! Missions, Quests & those sorts are put forth by the Council in various Guilds to be taken care off. Guilds, whom successfully finish the requests are sponsored heavily by the Council in return.

-----

Members

I'm thinking to open about three Guilds [Fire, Water, Lightning] at first and until we get some decent activity, then I'll open the remaining three. About three different pathways are open for a Member to choose upon registering for in the said Guild. Scholar, Warrior or Paladin. Each "pathway" has their own pluses and minuses.

Scholar : Knowledge is Power! [Extra Exp earned after battle]
    Warrior : RAWR Damage [1.5x more damage output]
    Paladin : Sap Sword [Heals after every attack]

^Just some rough suggestions. I'll probably need to add in more abilities of course.

-----

Special Notes

+ Only one Guild to join, so choose wisely!
    + Each Guild has its own pros and cons.
    + No limit to membership per Guild [Guilds won't be crowded]
    + If too many members join one particular Guild [Council will re-arrange them all until equilibrium is reached].
    + Monsters in this world will be Pokemon + ???.
    + Obtain Pokemon as Pets [up to two] to accompany you when going for Missions [Tame them from Wild].
    + Pets have four classes [Offensive : Fighter, Defensive : Buffer, Caster : Support, Scavenger : Item Collector]
    + Gain Exp, and YOU will level up. Teach various moves for your Pets so that they can assist you to the best of their abilities!
    + Gain Money, and buy yourself some better equipment or even powerful Pets!
    + Each Guild comes with its own Elemental Moves. Ex. You can't learn Thunderpunch in a Leo's Guild.
    + Earn Reputation Points for every successful completion of a Mission [Work your way up through the Ranks!]
    + Tag along with your friends from other Guilds and go on Missions together! [Dependent on the type of Mission]
    + 6 Types of Mission [Monster Hunt, Bounty, Member Co-Op, Solo, Item Hunt, Special]
    + Additional Abilities in joining a Guild. Ex. Let's say you're a Scholar joining a Leo. Leo specializes in strength, so you get strength bonuses too! [So if you're a Warrior joining a Leo Guild, you battle output is much higher; Stacks up!]
    + HP/MP implementation
    + Bank, Equipment Stands [Weapon & Armor], Grand Bazaar [Items], Beast Tavern [Buy/Sell Pets], Events and Promotions
    + Guild WARS [Event activities among the Guilds, attractive prizes, event only items, and much more!]
    + and many others currently in planning/development stage

-----

Guild Moves

A sneak peek into Moves that you, the Member, the Character will learn as you level up in this RPG. Spoiler alert!

-----

...and that's about it. For now anyways. I don't want to clog up your heads as I'm pretty sure you guys are dazed by now thanks to the huge pile of chunky info I've posted here. Anyways, I would like to know what you people think, and feel free to question me should you have any doubts. I'm also open to suggestions, ideas, constructive criticism and those sorts. Just for factual information sake, this whole thread explains roughly about 40% of the whole RPG Game.

Lesson point #1 : Summarizing a huge project can be a b*tch! Bahahahaha!

-----

Staff recruited so far : 9
    Last edited by Trainer17; 21st September 2011 at 03:51 AM.
    Love RPGs? Currently helping a friend of mine on a RP-esque forum, PM me if you're interested!

I'm back! l Paired with ♥ Peaceful Moonlight ♥

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Quest : Adventure RPG

There should probably be a Thief-type class of some sort, like, with a better dodge chance. Also, maybe support, in general, for characters that use more physical, non-elemental attacks?
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

all hail shadow shadow the hedgehog6's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so far i like it but it needs pyhsical attacks and a type that uses pyhsical attacks

and some more moves
    Last edited by shadow the hedgehog6; 17th September 2011 at 03:36 AM.
    c
    credict to blue dragon for the sig

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouthful of Pi View Post
    There should probably be a Thief-type class of some sort, like, with a better dodge chance. Also, maybe support, in general, for characters that use more physical, non-elemental attacks?
    Yes. He's right.
    Or maybe there should probably a Martial Artist class, a class that combines physical attack with buff magic.

Good read, this is definately something that I am interested in ;)
    Trainer17 likes this.
    FCs: Heart Gold: 1892-8730-9569; White: 1549-4836-0020

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll be so in this.

So when you say text based, dya mean no sprites, just writing?

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Definitely my kind of RP. That's less than half of the final project? I applaud your ambition; you've pulled it off well.

My biggest criticism so far would be the integration of Pokemon into your original setting--particularly the Legendaries. How do they compare to the Espers and the gods, particularly the Pokemon who are nearly deities themselves? Of slightly less import, how did the Pokemon come to be in this world? Are they merely natural, like in the franchise itself? Are their powers derived from the Espers? The gods? Or merely a natural evolution?

Lastly, and least importantly, how does the cosmology of your world work? What are the ramifications of a metaphysical war between gods and Espers? Are there tangible effects on the world, or just a general impending sense of destruction? And how exactly do you summon something greater than the beings who brought Order to the universe in the first place? Shouldn't everything by definition be weaker than them, as there was only Chaos before? These last few questions are just my obsessive curiosity speaking; I'm certain it'll be more thoroughly explained in the actual sign-up and game, so you don't need to answer them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouthful of Pi View Post
    I had plenty of other classes in mind, but for starters I thought I should release these 3 for the time being, because there are 3 Guilds to join after all, for starters. But, releasing two more classes shouldn't be a pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by dark fawful View Post
    so far i like it but it needs pyhsical attacks and a type that uses pyhsical attacks

and some more moves
    But of course, there are a lot of moves [different kinds] missing/not added yet. What I've listed so far are just for previews. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow Blue View Post
    Yes. He's right.
    Or maybe there should probably a Martial Artist class, a class that combines physical attack with buff magic.
    Oh yes, as mentioned before hand, I'll release around 3 more classes. Though I'd prefer if they were basics. Then, as you level up, complete harder missions, get enough rep points, you'd be able to unlock secondary classes, basically class + class.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian of Johto View Post
    Good read, this is definately something that I am interested in ;)
    Woot for interest. Welcome to da team :D

Yeah, I'll be so in this.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by samedwards View Post
    So when you say text based, dya mean no sprites, just writing?
    As mentioned in the first post, it will be a large-scale forum game. Some large-scale forum games which exist here in BMGf are Pokemon Ultra RPG, Fizzy Bubbles RPG, KPU..

Not entirely writing. But it's a fun game :p But of course there'll be sprites and other graphical pieces. Especially if you noticed under "Missions", one would be BOUNTY HUNT. We do need a sprite picture for those, right? :p

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    Definitely my kind of RP. That's less than half of the final project? I applaud your ambition; you've pulled it off well.

My biggest criticism so far would be the integration of Pokemon into your original setting--particularly the Legendaries. How do they compare to the Espers and the gods, particularly the Pokemon who are nearly deities themselves? Of slightly less import, how did the Pokemon come to be in this world? Are they merely natural, like in the franchise itself? Are their powers derived from the Espers? The gods? Or merely a natural evolution?

Lastly, and least importantly, how does the cosmology of your world work? What are the ramifications of a metaphysical war between gods and Espers? Are there tangible effects on the world, or just a general impending sense of destruction? And how exactly do you summon something greater than the beings who brought Order to the universe in the first place? Shouldn't everything by definition be weaker than them, as there was only Chaos before? These last few questions are just my obsessive curiosity speaking; I'm certain it'll be more thoroughly explained in the actual sign-up and game, so you don't need to answer them.
    I apologize if my plot was too shabby, hahaha. I guess that's understandable. Basically, here's the idea.

We all thought Mew was godly much because it could literally transform to any Pokemon. Then we moved on to Ho-Oh because it gave life to the three legendary gods. Then we moved finally to Arceus. The thing about Pokemon is, its endless! You'll never know what pops up next, but when it does, it would fit in well perfectly.

Celebi is a traveler of time, but in the past, I'm sure we all thought it was a Time Deity. Until Dialga came in and was like, hey I'm the real Time God x3

Thats how Espers and these Gods fit in. They came waaaaaay before Pokemon & Humans existed. Though history says some Pokemon have lived waaaaay longer and all, these Espers and Gods came waaaaaaaay before. Hahahhaa. If Ancient Pokemon are like 0 in the numerical order, these guys are like -1. We all never knew it existed when we were like kids, but when we grew up, we're like, hey, there are numbers before 0!

How Espers and Pokemon relate, here's a quick Ex.

Leo is Fire. All Fire Pokemon, idolize him as a Superior. You can say thats where all the elements came from, originated from the Espers. HOWEVER, the Pokemon themselves aren't considered that powerful or life threatening. Legendaries however, are an exception. You can call them personalized elite soldiers of Leo. Higher ups in the Fire Element, but not worshiped or such..though feared :0

How do Gods play a part in this? Hahahhaa. I'm going to keep this a secret for now :3

And...who told you that you could summon Espers? :3 You use their powers, in the sense that, Elemental Powers/Moves. Depending on the Guild you join, of course. Oh, and about the effects on the world. You might have to stay tuned for that ;)

Anyways, as we progress through certain checkpoints/milestone in the game, every secret, every query would most probably be unlocked. You'd understand. Some, you might not. But hey, the ending would be...*bzzt*!
    Love RPGs? Currently helping a friend of mine on a RP-esque forum, PM me if you're interested!

Blog Entries

Oh, so this is gonna be similar to Ragnarok DS?
    Aand.... I'm still curious about the classes :3 really excited about this.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Yeah, I didn't really expect you to answer the cosmology questions. Just being curious ;). As for the summon thing, I meant the last part of your plot summary, the Espers' summoning of something greater than the gods. Though thinking about it, I imagine a good deal of the plot hinges on that...

And my criticism was rooted in my own problems with RPs. I start off with what I think will be an awesome Pokemon RP, flesh out the world, plot, and gameplay, and just when I finish, I realize the Pokemon aspects feel tacked on. So it ends up a non-Pokemon RP. Sorry if I came over as overly critical.

Blog Entries

Sounds very interesting... so, what kind of assistance were you looking for specifically from us?

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

You double posted. WIN. Hahaha. Oh, yes. It will be somewhat similar to those RPG Games you play. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and what not. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    Yeah, I didn't really expect you to answer the cosmology questions. Just being curious ;). As for the summon thing, I meant the last part of your plot summary, the Espers' summoning of something greater than the gods. Though thinking about it, I imagine a good deal of the plot hinges on that...

And my criticism was rooted in my own problems with RPs. I start off with what I think will be an awesome Pokemon RP, flesh out the world, plot, and gameplay, and just when I finish, I realize the Pokemon aspects feel tacked on. So it ends up a non-Pokemon RP. Sorry if I came over as overly critical.
    Hahaha. Don't be sorry! You've actually helped me to think a lot of the Plot and the secrets behind it. I always appreciate constructive criticism. At least you've been helping me much. Compared to people I've come across who just complain :(

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    Sounds very interesting... so, what kind of assistance were you looking for specifically from us?
    Well, you know, nothing out of the ordinary. Approving shops, approving Sign-ups, making Missions/Quests, updating Adventures. What the staff normally does in a game they're in charge off :p But for now, I'm finalizing a lot of stuff, and if possible, I'd like all of us (who're keen interested to help) to work this all out somewhere.

So I need a 'count me in' from you guys who're still willing to help me out and I'll bring you all to my personal work space :3

Blog Entries

My inner Final Fantasy fanboy has been awakened . How about introducing a fully-fledged Jobs System, FFTactics-style? Three classes are a solid start, but sooner or later everyone will end up fighting the same way. Class trees encourage diversity, because you'll need to master a few classes before unlocking the next one.

I think Warrior should be downgraded to the slightly more generic Fighter, so it has more possibility to evolve should you choose to have a class tree. I also think Paladin should be replaced with Healer, or maybe Priest, as Paladins are more or less holy knights to begin with. Of course, these are just my suggestions.

Oh, and count me in. I love making RPs--seriously, I've made four over the past week alone.
    Trainer17 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast