"Original" concept RP idea mosh pit - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Original" concept RP idea mosh pit

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Original" concept RP idea mosh pit

well its not manipulation its spell casting.

Its like petrificus totalus. Causes petrification, but maybe somone know how to use it to paralyze a certain part of the body to stop a wound from bleeding out. Its not I control fire, its I cast fireball.

Yun
    Blog Entries

Well, I said that I posted it to be a possible thing to think about as an alternative to simple spellcasting.

Also, if people could cast spells instead of broad manipulations... then wouldn't people need to make LOTS of them to do the things that they would want to do? Spellcasting is too linear a thing for someone to use well. Oh sure, you can shoot a fireball. Then, you'll want to shoot a stream of fire if that doesn't work. "Okay, lemme ju- WHOOPS, DON'T HAVE IT!"

It wouldn't make sense for the character to be able to use the fireball to make a stream of fire. See where I'm getting?

Blog Entries

yes is does he jsut casts fireball really fast.

Blog Entries

I kinda like that. It puts a limit on magic. Means people have to use strategy.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Blog Entries

its supposed to be restricted. Its why everyone has to work together. Think of it like a classic RPG game. you have your healer, your tank, your melee attacker, your ranger, your mage or maybe two if magic is broken up.

here its sort of the same. we'd have a healer who would heal us and strengthen us, a couple enchanters who fought with magic weapons, and then attack mages.

Personally I know I'd go with an enchanter who has imbued his light leather armor to handle extreme damage along with that he has a pair of arm blades which are enchanted to hurt you more the stronger your magic is. The spells he has would be Aegis and Paradox. Aegis being the armor strengthening, and paradox being the one for the blades. His other spell would be to make his weapons appear whenever he needs them so long as they are in 50 meters or so.

Now you may think, but how can you use those in other ways? I can use Aegis on anything that isn't alive to strengthen it. I can put it on a wall, a weapon, anyone else's armor. Paradox would have a similar effect where my character could put it on a wall and it would injure strong mages who touch the wall. Then the teleporting weapons he can make them appear anywhere within 5 feet of him, so he could make them appear in someone need be.

The only thing I've thought of is that magic does take energy. If you are strained or injured your magic will be weaker typically. It can also act to make you stronger though in certain situations like an adrenaline rush.

Blog Entries

This sounds really interesting... I'd be glad to sign up for this!

Blog Entries

SU:

Name:

Appearance: (picture or paragraph) (the clothing in this universe is relatively modern, but with some medieval flare)

Backstory:(1 paragraph)
    Personality:(1 paragraph)

Magic type: (see list above)

spells: (pick a small number of spells [3-5], and then explain the many ways you can use them. These are set spells they are cast and they cause an effect. Think of spells in Harry Potter. Wingardium Leviosa causes levitation, but by levitating things you can do many different actions. You could hold back an arrow being shot at your face, or use it to smack someone aside with an object you couldn't lift yourself.)

Skills besides magic: (weapon skills and other talents go here)

Familiar: (what sort of animal, its magics, and name)

v 3.0

----------
    EDIT

(forgive any mistakes or typos here as I am on my 3DS, and its web browser is only slightly better than the DSi.)

After watching a bit more Soul Eater I had 2 thoughts.

1. Where should we start with the antagonists?

2. How can the protagonists move forward, and become better?

So with the first one I decided the villains/antagonists would be wizards using outlawed magic. Since everyone is born with magic these people would be forced to never use theirs and basically had none. This would lead to them getting low ranking, dangerous(with out the risk being worth anything), and/or just plain revolting jobs like ditch digging or working in the sewers. The outlawed magics would be Blood magic and Bejat magic. Bejat magic is a dark magic which taps into the primal side of the universe to give power. It can manifest like the two imbuing magics and as a raw energy. Using the magic can ware down the reasoning ability of the mind. Over a long time the caster will become primal losing all human restraint and become very powerful. Also if you were curious blood magic is just magic using blood, and has no link to vamprism. Blood can simply be manipulated and it has a cumulative effect where the more blood is around the stronger the magic (this doesn't happen with other magics not even elemental. Also the blood magic won't work through a mage's skin, so you cant blood bend).

Anyway the point of the question is at what point in their plan are these guys? Have they made any big moves? Where should we have them at the start of the RP?

I'm thinking small rebellions have sprung up, and the council is very worried by how sudden and simultaneous they are. The main antagonists would be a few mages who are experts in their forbidden magics. They would have riled up the other mages to cause rebellions. Meanwhile they'll organize something more formitable.

As for what that is you'll have to join the RP if I get it started.

Now the reason I asked the second question is because I don't want people to get better by power of spells (this meaning a total magic power) or by number/variety of spells.

Instead I'm thinking of branching "evolutions" of spells. Anyone who plays RPGs should be familiar with the skill tree. I'm thinking a 4 directional skill tree for each spell.

The catagories being:

Offense
    Defense
    Utility
    Aura

Offense and Defense are rather obvious. Going down the offensive branch adds more damaging effects. Defensive adds effects that help protect your character. The only issue is with some spells they seem only offensive or defensive. My example would be classic fireball and a standard shielding spell.

Fireball -> Offensive -> Increased range -> Can burn materials that don't catch easily -> Explodes on contact.

Fireball -> Defensive -> Makes the fireball dazzlingly bright blinding foes -> Restoring glow (makes the spell not tire you as much) -> Sapping flames (spell vamp aka life steal)

That make sense?

Shield -> Defensive -> Stronger shield -> Bigger shield -> Dome shield

Shield -> Offensive -> Spiky -> Reflects weapon projectiles -> Reflects magic

See its all about how you want to play.

Utility is for getting abilities not focused on combat. They can aid in combat but are not immediately designed for it.

Fireball -> Utility -> The flame can be controlled much easier -> Objects lit on fire burn longer -> Can put out any fire caused by Fireball instantly

See the longer burn could help in a fight or just keeping the campfire going.

Shield -> Utility -> Shield can be made into certain shapes (ex. a bucket. This does not add to size) -> Can carry more weight -> Shield can remain up while asleep.

Some obvious multiple uses there.

Aura is a passive branch made to help you and your allies. Yes there is a magic focused on auras and assisting/enhancing allies, but this branch allows for auras that wouldn't be had by that group.

Fireball -> Aura -> Resistant to heat -> Burns last for less time -> Cannot be burned by normal fire.

Auras are short ranged, and progress slowly, but the end results can be worth it.

Shield -> Aura -> resistance to blunt force -> resistance to slashing weapons -> weak personal shield.
    Last edited by jasonwolf; 11th March 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Blog Entries

(sorry about a double post, but I for some reason couldn't add more to the last post. It makes me a bit proud, at least if I did actually hit the character limit.)

Anyway,

The spell upgrade trees would be rather expansive with many small, weak, and less interesting bonuses at the bottom like damage and range upgrades as well as some point levels with no additional bonus, but act as stepping stones.

Ex.

Fireball - offensive 1-> Range 2-> Damage 3-> Range 4-> Damage 5-> no bonus 6-> increased burning chance

so on and so forth

I would like to say that as mages we all are slightly resistant to magic, so an un-upgraded spell won't impact us much. Along with that most mages who expect to be in combat have armor, defensive trinkets (jewlery etc. which improve magic resistance), or spells to protect them.

Points for the branches would be gained after any conflict. By conflict I mean group-wide engagement of the enemy.

I'm thinking about 4-5 Rpers myself included. Any battle of significance will involve everyone. The first part of the RP will be our group being sent to handle a small rebellion in a little village. The setup for why we are together will be handled prior to the RP opening.

The only exception to the conflict rule is special enemies such as the main antagonists, select stronger foes, and powerful beasts. Sometimes they will also be in conflicts in which case anyone who ASSISTS (as in they must help, not hinder, and how they help must have a positive impact. If you shoot a spell at the enemy but miss you will not be counted in the assist) will get bonus points.

Typically you'll receive about 9 points for a normal conflict.

Anyone who assists in fighting a strong foe in a conflict gets a bonus 3-12 depending on win/lose, number of people fighting, and strength of foe.

Anyone engaging a special foe outside of conflict and assisting gets 3-18 points depending on how strong the foe, win/lose, and number fighting.

Anyone who solos a strong foe will get 0 or 6-12 or 15-21 points depending on if they win or lose (0 if you die) and the strength of the foe.

The reason conflicts are lower is because NPCs may be around to help. Since everyone will have 3-5 spells I feel these numbers are balanced. After all the focus is strategic use of magic not just overpowering. Also the normal conflicts are rather common rebels, monsters/beasts, and general villains like bandits and raiders will be around.

Note that since its about strategy you can strengthen your character by working on tactics and helping the group work together as a co-ordinated team.

I guess thats it...

In summary:

you get points for the 4 types of upgrades to you spells after a conflict involving the entire group or fighting a stronger foe.

There is slow progression through the upgrade trees as they are not the main focus of the combat.

The focus is on strategy and each character covering a different aspect of the team.

------------

I think thats about all we need before a real thread can be started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12