Mass Effect RP

Thread: Mass Effect RP

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Mass Effect RP

Well, looks like The Final Branding's not going to get off the ground, so I guess I'll try my hand at an RP that should have some interest already built in.

Mass Effect has, over the course of the summer and binging on all three games, become one of my favorite video game series. It's fast-paced, filled with action, while maintaining a rich setting and strong, deep characters. But--controversial endings aside--its focus on a sole character and his/her crew have meant that the setting has never been as deeply explored as it could have, especially as the series focused on its shooter aspects starting in Mass Effect 2. Moreover, it was always designed as a character-driven RP (as opposed to the rich world-driven RPs like The Elder Scrolls), meaning exploring the setting was always going to be second priority--not that that's a bad thing, of course.

Anyway, spiel aside, I'd like to see if there's any interest before I develop the sign-up, to see if it's worthwhile or if I should instead focus on another original RP. Here are a few ideas I've worked out; feel free to pick and comment on them, or suggest something completely new. The point of this thread is to generate a concept that interest all of you, rather than just myself.

Ranked in order of descending complexity and presumable difficulty:

1. Something set during the Reaper War. Put most simply, this is an RP of the Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer. Very action-focused and probably character-driven, as the plot is already determined. Sweet and to the point. All that's needed are characters, abilities, and weapons, and we are good to go.

2. Something set during the series, but not from Shepard's point of view. Less action-driven and more exploration-based. The ideal time frame is somewhere after the end of ME1 and before the start of ME3, especially as ME2 sees Shepard mostly in the backwater of the Terminus Systems. The only difficulty is in thinking up something that doesn't contradict the canon of the games too much.

3. Something set prior to the events of Mass Effect. Similar to the preceding, but without the constraints of the series's plot. Of course, that somewhat limits the scale of what we could do, but that's not too much of a problem. While it'll probably be after the First Contact War/Relay 314 incident and the debut of humanity on the galactic stage, I'm not averse from doing something set earlier, such as during the Rachni War or the Krogan Rebellions. The real challenge is that we'll need to come up with a plot wholesale.

4. Something set after Mass Effect 3. Again, similar to the preceding, but without any of the constraints of the established timeline. Literally any plot is possible here, though we'd have to agree on which ending to branch from. Moreover, being set after the endings, this has the most epic potential as we can explore and discuss the ramifications of the chosen ending. Destroy is similar to the above, as it's essentially the restored status quo, minus the geth. Control lets us explore the integration of the Reapers into galactic society. Synthesis is that, plus exploring the synthesis itself (for example, I've seen it being equated with 'genetic rape' on a few other forums); though the Synthesis ending in the Extended Cut extols its virtues and declares an eternal peace, how do you really deal with having your entire genetic and biological structure being completely rewritten? And Refusal from the Extended Cut lets us go completely wild, building new species and worlds, with only the presence of the Reapers and the eponymous mass effect limiting us.

5. A complete AU of the series's events. This is keeping only the setting, and making up the plot wholesale, with possible differences in the background. For example, what if Shepard never existed? Or the Reapers? Or if the Protheans had won the war in their cycle? Anything is possible here.

As I've said above, comment on and add to my thoughts, or think up something new. I want to work together with fellow Mass Effect and sci-fi fans, not force my ideas on them.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mass Effect RP

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, a million times "Yes".

How about by the by, a combination of 1) and 4)? You know, fighting the Reaper War and then dealing with it's consequences? Also, I'd love to go to Khar'Shan (the batarian homeworld), I think it's a great shame we never saw that place go down.

Either way, I ran an ME RP on another site, it was very good and is in fact still going on today, if a bit slowly. And we started not too long after ME2 came out. I recommned going for it.

I may look like an idiot, I may sound like an idiot, but don't let that fool you; I really am an idiot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plumbum View Post
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, a million times "Yes".

How about by the by, a combination of 1) and 4)? You know, fighting the Reaper War and then dealing with it's consequences? Also, I'd love to go to Khar'Shan (the batarian homeworld), I think it's a great shame we never saw that place go down.

Either way, I ran an ME RP on another site, it was very good and is in fact still going on today, if a bit slowly. And we started not too long after ME2 came out. I recommned going for it.
    That was mostly my intent for 1), seeing events that Shepard wasn't there for, or things that were otherwise glossed over. Multiple characters per player might even be a key feature, as it would help give us a better sense of the scale of the war: here's a team on Earth, holding the line, here's one on Sur'Kesh, planning further strikes, here's one on Ilium, Thessia, Palaven, etc.

What was your experience on that other site? Things that worked, things that didn't, ideas that were plenty of fun, etc.?

Blog Entries

Well, the main thing I can advise from it is to have more variety than 'turn up, see some mooks, shoot them, do something arbitrary then leave'. It sounds so obvious, but it's so easy to fall into.

I was gonna say our framing device (being a private military contractor firm) helped a lot because it gave the characters freedom to be whatever races they wanted and gave us the freedom to go almost anywhere, although the idea with multiple teams would also help the scale and maybe make people more willing to let their characters die to avoid a certain problem. I'll add more later, I'm on my phone right now.

I may look like an idiot, I may sound like an idiot, but don't let that fool you; I really am an idiot.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Oh my god yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

Heh, I suppose we can play up the horror aspects of the series a bit, especially as this would be the first time the galaxy at large has been exposed to the Reapers (unlike Shepard, who is already an old hat at this). I remember when I played ME1, that one mine filled with husks just terrified the crap out of me when I entered it the first time. And banshees are always fricking terrifying.

And we can mix up some of the political/diplomatic missions into the action, I guess. One thing that annoyed me in ME3 was that all the Citadel missions were just a bunch of talking, especially Zaeed's and Kasumi's cameos, as well as Balak's appearance. Mixing in a little action while maintaining the need to reason with the enemy should help alleviate mindless, repetitive 'shoot the mooks.'

And lastly, we can always try some more epic enemies, like a Geth Colossus.

Blog Entries

Either way, if you're gonna do anything like this, I'd sign up in a beat and I'd be more than willing to help plot one out too.