How Important is Character Development in an Action Roleplay?

Thread: How Important is Character Development in an Action Roleplay?

Blog Entries

Question How Important is Character Development in an Action Roleplay?

Per the title, when participating in an action-focused roleplay, how much attention do you pay to complex (particularly psychological) character-development?

A little? A lot? Is character-development essential to you? Or do you consider plot-development the core focus of such roleplays?

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Default Re: How Important is Character Development in an Action Roleplay?

(Keep in mind this is just my own two cents. Some may agree, while others will think differently.)

Character development can make or break a roleplay, whether it is action-based or just a slice-of-life skit. This can be the dividing line between playing a living, breathing person or just a robot that the player is using to input actions. For some, the robot method is perfectly fine. They just want to imagine slaying imaginary enemies, and have fun doing this with no pesky backstory getting in the way of their crusade.

Other people want to actually attempt to live their character's life for a short time. Actions made during the roleplay can change their viewpoint and personality entirely; even battle-hardened veterans have some form of backstory on how they got this way, or they just hide their reactions from the general people. Those who honestly and truly feel nothing are usually considered monsters (both good and evil characters: the Kingpriest in Dragonlance is a perfect "good" example)

In conclusion: it all depends on the roleplayers. If you wish to host a story-centric RP, make sure you post this in the sign-up so people know what they are getting into. The same goes for others who just want to make a hack-and-slash.

I love you BMGf friends Milo†icgirl McQüeen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to really agree with Akinai on this.

As much of a shock this may seem, but I'm a sucker for a literary fiction over any genre based book anyday. So when I read fics and even these more serious RPs, I really like to see characterization, development, symbolism, deep meaning. I just love going into like characters and how the develop over time. I've tried it a few times on this site, but a lot of people jsut want action after action or some big plot. That's fine, sometimes it's great, but you can't really exercise character development in some RP where one moment your just walking and next you have to battle like a whole army of bloody demons.

Regardless, I jut play how I want. I'd love to play a more character based RP (and I'm trying it out in Friends, seeing the posh totty soon adapting to a new life in America) but I'm perfectly fine with just playing that robotic character that has basically the same characterisitcs all throughout the RP, not a problem at all xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milo†icgirl McQüeen View Post

As much of a shock this may seem, but I'm a sucker for a literary fiction over any genre based book anyday. So when I read fics and even these more serious RPs, I really like to see characterization, development, symbolism, deep meaning. I just love going into like characters and how the develop over time. I've tried it a few times on this site, but a lot of people jsut want action after action or some big plot. That's fine, sometimes it's great, but you can't really exercise character development in some RP where one moment your just walking and next you have to battle like a whole army of bloody demons.
    I don't find that shocking at all.

I basically agree with you on this one. While I absolutely love epic, action-filled plots, it all feels very propped up without concrete character development as a foundation.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Demonic Bass Player JakkuEbansu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

True, true. One of my favourite roleplays, Bounty Hunters, has a healthy slice of both action and character development.
    I wish there were more roleplays like it...
    Not seen my artwork yet? For Shame.
    RESOLVE THIS AT ONCE, YOU IMPUDENT WHELP!
    http://jakkuebansu.deviantart.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milo†icgirl McQüeen View Post

Regardless, I jut play how I want. I'd love to play a more character based RP (and I'm trying it out in Friends, seeing the posh totty soon adapting to a new life in America) but I'm perfectly fine with just playing that robotic character that has basically the same characterisitcs all throughout the RP, not a problem at all xD
    Who are you, and what have you done with Milo?
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx