AZATIIR: Planning Thread (MODS: Lock Please) - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AZATIIR: Planning Thread (MODS: Lock Please)

Blog Entries

Default Re: AZATIIR: Planning Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roserade299909 View Post
    Just Like Skyrim, or in that case, any of the Elder Scroll Games?
    Precisely.

Though, if I were going to draw comparisons, the vibe I'm going for with Azatiir falls more in line with that of Morrowind than any other TES title.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Was Buggabo99909 Roserade299909's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, I just felt the impulse to say something, though I also could have said Guild Wars 2, or Borderlands 2, though honestly, the big thing about Guild Wars 2 is that they still haven't even put a release date out there, let alone moved it back. They announced it about 2 years ago though, and they even said that with this game, they expect to blow WoW straight out of the water. In the first year of Guild Wars, as in the original, they stole more than 2 million WoW players though.

I take no credit for this banner, Kamex made it for me.

Blog Entries

Actually, I just felt the impulse to say something, though I also could have said Guild Wars 2, or Borderlands 2, though honestly, the big thing about Guild Wars 2 is that they still haven't even put a release date out there, let alone moved it back. They announced it about 2 years ago though, and they even said that with this game, they expect to blow WoW straight out of the water. In the first year of Guild Wars, as in the original, they stole more than 2 million WoW players though.
    Are Guild Wars and WoW good games? I've never played them, but I know a few guys who play WoW. They couldn't talk me into that pay-to-play nonsense, though.

Blog Entries

It depends on how you think of the games. WoW you have to pay to play it every month, and you can get up to god knows what level, but with Guild Wars, it's lead competitor, You buy the game at your Local Gamestop or something, and the only time you have to pay for it is when you wan't an extra characters slot, or a guild wars costume. The Only thing is though is that Guild Wars you can only get up to level 20, but some guild wars characters can actually solo a group of people in WoW, especially if you get the right team. There are some combinations that will just let you walk through a fight taking no more that 10 damage even 6 hits, and kill them without lifting a finger.

Blog Entries

It depends on how you think of the games. WoW you have to pay to play it every month, and you can get up to god knows what level, but with Guild Wars, it's lead competitor, You buy the game at your Local Gamestop or something, and the only time you have to pay for it is when you wan't an extra characters slot, or a guild wars costume. The Only thing is though is that Guild Wars you can only get up to level 20, but some guild wars characters can actually solo a group of people in WoW, especially if you get the right team. There are some combinations that will just let you walk through a fight taking no more that 10 damage even 6 hits, and kill them without lifting a finger.
    That's good to know, actually.

Are they fun, though? The only MMO's I've played were fun for about a month, and then the "new" wore off and they became incredibly, mind-numbingly boring, repetitive, and tedious.

(I had a decent run going on Last Chaos, for instance, before I finally admitted that it was incredibly boring and quit)

Blog Entries

Well, WoW I have never played, so you can't ask me about that one, but with Guild Wars, It even took my brother two years before he got all the way through all of the campaign. There are 3 campaigns, and 1 expansion, each adding more and more for you to do. For Instance, if you are one of those people that just love getting everything you can in the game, I would actually suggest this game, since you have 6 years of minipets, over 40 Titles, and some of them are more tedious than just getting through Pre-(If you are wondering, this means Pre Searing, which is what they call the very beginning of Prophecies, the first campaign released.) Including a few, which I will name here. One, you have to get from your beginning level one to level 20, the max level, all without leaving Pre-. Another is for getting 1,337,000 Experience without dying once. One of the longer and more tedious ones is getting all 107% Exploration, which still makes no sense to me, since you are exploring more map than there is available, which you can do for the Eye of the North Expansion areas, Prophecies area, Factions Area(The Second made area), and the Nightfall Area(The third area made.). If you really want to play old school, you can always go for the 1,337,000 experience without dying once, which is what the original title was, and how my brother and my step-father got it. My favorite title though is, since with the Factions expansion, they made the Kurzick and Luxon areas, you have guilds of the different factions. If you get into a Kurzick Guild, the hardest title you can get would be the Luxon title, and if you get into a Luxon guild, the hardest is the Kurzick title.

Also, can you please stop Quoting me, I actually have this open in it's own tab, which I actually check quite often.

Blog Entries

...Ok... I wasn't aware that the 'Quote' feature was a common irritant, but I shall try to remember in the future.

So, in Guild Wars, how unbearable is the grinding (that inevitable 90% of every MMO in which you endlessly repeat the same actions to gain xp)?

Also, more on topic, how would you (i.e. all potential members of Azatiir) like to see player-vs-player combat handled?

Blog Entries

Well, about the quoting, I normally see the notification of the top as either a mention to something that they want to get more active again, a PM, or a VM, it just gets annoying to me seeing the exact same thing twice.

For the grinding, you can actually get money, better armor(technically), materials, green items, which are the supposed best items in the game, and also the rarest, and your experience. It gets annoying if you are going for the Legendary Survivor title, which is the 1,337,000 exp without dying, but besides that, you can actually pay people to let you literally leech their experience, using scrolls, items, and many other things. Down-falls to the fighting in the game is that if you die, you get a -15% death penalty, which is what it is called. what this does is it lowers you health and energy by that amount of percent, though you can only get a -60% death penalty at max(In other words, if you have a total of 600 life normally, which is possible for some proffesions, and you have a 60% death penalty, you will only have 240 life, which is about how much I can deal with a single spell, in a matter of a second. With the proffesions, you have 10 different ones. The base proffesions, Warrior, Archer, Monk, which translate into Brutal Attacker, Ranger with a pet, and Healer, and then Ele(mantalist), Mesmer, and Necromancer, which translate into, using skyrim terms, Destruction magic user, illusion user, and Conjuration/Vampire basically. The reason why Necromancer has two things is because ti can be used as 3 things. One, you can use it as a degen killer, using hex's to bring it's HP down to zero within seconds, a vampiric spell user, which steals it's life, and then blows them up against them, or you can play what is called an MM, which is short for Minion Master, causing them to make your opponents corpses into your little undead minions, that will never really truely die. Once you get out the big one though, you can use it's own corpse(The only one with an expoitable corpse, meaning you can make more minions out of it.) you can just get him back from himself.
    The factions proffessions are Assassin, and Ritualist. Assassins are exactly what you would think, quick, deadly, and very weak when hit with degens. Sins also are the only ones capable of doing one of the most seriously taken runs, which is because it can use Sin enchantments to prevent it from takign damage period, and then damage your opponent using and Earth type Ele skill. Ritualists use Spirits, Channeling magic, and Restoration magic to there full use, Spirits can just hit them as little spawnable archers to put it simply, while providing some good effects to you also, depending on what you use. Channeling magic is a quick and deadly magic that uses Lightning Damage to send your opponents monster straight to the spirit realm. and Restoration magic is kinda obvious.
    Nightfall only proffessions are Dervish, and Paragon. These two I don't know a whole bunch about, but the Dervish can communicate with the gods them self, and then change into their workers, with outstanding bonuses. The Dervish's weapon can hit many opponents in front of you in one swing, and the weapon of choice is, *Drumroll*, Scythes. Paragons(Also known as Para's) use Chants shouts, and Spears to just pummel their enemies to the ground, they are not the best solo class, though can still stand up for themselves. Para's are best when teamed up with strong, well playing allies, and can make it so that a warrior, the strongest hitter, can deal more than 1,000 damage in a single blow.

Also, I can care less about Character v Character combat, though it would be very interesting to see it as some sort of competition, where people form in groups, and then just go up against others to win some sort of prize, whether it be money, or it be a powerful weapon, is a different question. Another thing that I would love to see in this would have to be some sort of grouping besides guilds like the thieves guild and such. Sorta like making an alliance between a few people that think that their powers would work great together, as long as they continue training like they currently are.

Also, would there be some kind of way to have the skills organized into the large categories, like the Melee, Mage, and Archer categories to put as an example, and then break them down into seperate things. for example, in Mage, you have all of the big time spells, right. Well then, take all of the Elemental Spells, all of the Dark Magic, all of the Mind Magic, all of the Healing Magic, all of the Spiritual magic, and put it into different categories so that you know what you are looking at. I will even give a small example right here.

This way you can actually go after just one type of magic, instead of just a general group, we can decide what exactly we use. So that instead of having an Elemental Mage, I can say the I have a Brushfire Mage.(Nature+Fire)

Blog Entries

Why do we have to copy off of guild wars? If I wanted Guild Wars, I'd play Guild Wars. This is Azatiir, man. I share MM's feelings on MMOs. I usually don't like them much. Sometimes I play for a week or so, but then I get bored. The appeal of RPs is they are different from MMOs, in that they have a GM, and thus allow the player to be creative. Instead of following a predetermined class, they can be who they want, and form their own skillset for their characters. Instead of being limited by space on the keyboard to input button presses, and thus being restricted to preset moves, the players can simply write what their characters do. Point is, there's really no reason at all to imitate Guild Wars or World of Warcraft or RuneScape or really any other MMO.

On the subject of death penalties and whatnot: These things are acceptable in MMOs, which aren't exactly renowned for good plot. But RPs are supposed to explain these things. That, and characters die much less often in RPs, and as such, these things aren't really necessary. Besides, if a character is just resurrected after dying, there really isn't much point. If the evil overlord threatens to kill the heroes loved ones, would it really have any weight if they would just respawn?

I liked the way magic was in Armeira, with Elemental and Healing and Destruction. If you want to be a pyromancer, that's fine, just only learn fire spells from the destruction school. Also, IMO, it would be best if we kept grinding to a minimum. It's a lot more fun, I think, to actually gain skill while advancing your guy's goals, as opposed to the rather monotonous and unrealistic practice of going out into the wilderness and killing things just for leveling up.

As for PVP, I like how it works in most RPs, where people just write what happens until someone loses. Of course, it's a tad hard to comment on these things with as little knowledge of the system as it is. Perhaps if you could give us some knowledge of the system?
    Last edited by Heroic Sociopath; 21st January 2012 at 03:56 AM.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Blog Entries

@Kona-Chan The first few Paragraphs of my last post weren't about Azatiir, I was just explaining the way Guild Wars works to Master Mew, not exactly suggesting it for this. If you actaully read Master Mew's post right before my last one, you will see that he was actually wondering about some of the game mechanic's of Guild Wars and WoW, since we were already talking about it. Only from when I started Talking about the PvP function of what the game would be, Was I actually talking about Azatiir.

Blog Entries

Oh, okay, I'm stupid. Anyway, on that, though: What would be the in-game justification for this? Seems a tad forced to me.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!

Blog Entries

If you define what you mean by the in-game justification, I will tell you, though I don't understand what you mean by that exactly.

Blog Entries

What reason do the players have for being forced to join groups and compete for prizes? Wouldn't it make more sense to just let them pick fights when they feel it's justified in-character?

Blog Entries

I wasn't saying that they would have to join group, it just would seem more like something that I am used to. You wouldn't even actually have to go into the little competitions with a team if you don't want to though, if you really want to, you can go in alone, it wouldn't make a difference. Iam just saying that you should have the choice of joining with a group to match with what you need. Like if you are playing as I said from guild wars, and sorry for bringing this up again. If you are playing something like the assassin, which is just a get in get out character, if they get stopped in a mob, would you want to be stuck in this situation, I would rather have a at least Bonder and Elementalist, which will keep you alive, and provide a attack from the back, which can hit is a large area. Some people like just playing by themselves, but that is up to them. Some people can make the most unlikely character into something that can beat a warrior in one hit, which in guild wars can get over 1,100 HP, when the max you can get without any items or skills changing your HP Is 480.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but who's running the competitions, I mean? Who in their right mind would join one?

And man, I have never played Guild Wars, nor do I intend to. I'm sorry, but I really have no idea what you're talking about when you start talking about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast