AZATIIR: Planning Thread (MODS: Lock Please)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AZATIIR: Planning Thread (MODS: Lock Please)

Blog Entries

Question AZATIIR: Planning Thread (MODS: Lock Please)

Azatiir, my latest endeavor here in the Roleplay District, is well on its way to launch (though there is still much to do). I officially broke ground a couple days ago when I shifted from the brainstorming phase into actually building the world of Azatiir from the ground up - a daunting task, I must admit.

This thread will be used for fielding general questions to the community as a whole to gain a feel for what features potential applicants would like to see implemented in Azatiir.

All the Best,
    Master Mew
    Last edited by Master Mew; 6th July 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Updated Map

Blog Entries

Follow Oblivion on Tumblr Visit Oblivion's Youtube Channel

Default Re: AZATIIR: Planning Thread -- SEEKING TWO CO-GMS

I would be more than happy to assist in the development of Azatiir. (Man, it's gonna take me a while to get that name down...) I keep resenting my lack of activity in the installments of Armeira, and I'd like to think I'm a good critic when it comes to these things.

Blog Entries

I'd be willing to lend a hand. There hasn't really been any roleplays that have tickled my fancy lately. I could definitely take on the responsibility.

Blog Entries

@Oblivion
    @BeastieBayleef

Great! I've been doing a lot of the preliminary work through Google Docs (though some of my notes haven't made it there yet), do either of you have a Google Account? I can set you guys up as collaborators so you can view and edit my Azatiir files (I would just make them publicly available, but I'm feeling rather secretive about this project )

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

Follow Oblivion on Tumblr Visit Oblivion's Youtube Channel

I have a Google Account. I'll PM you the link.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AZATIIR: Planning Thread

Well, assuming I now have two Co-GMs (as long as neither of them reads through my Azatiir notes, realizes I'm insane, and leaves), I would like to transition this thread over now to general community brainstorming.

The topic at hand: The Magic System.

Essentially, in previous Fantasy-oriented roleplays you have participated in where Magic was featured prominently, in what ways would you say it was implemented well? In what ways was it executed poorly?

EDIT: I've added the map as it currently stands to the first post. For those of you familiar with my work, you'll notice I've taken a slightly different art direction this time around.

So, what do you think of the map? Love it? Hate it?

Demonic Bass Player JakkuEbansu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the map... The one thing I wonder is how large the game area is...? The map seems kinda small in some places.
    Magic's usually implemented fairly badly, as there doesn't seem to be a definitive system for how it works.
    I'd suggest doing what they do in the Order of the Stick, a D&D based webcomic. All the characters are fairly good levels, and the mage and cleric have lots of spells, but they must choose which spells to use at the start of each day, and they have limited magic energy to use.
    Not seen my artwork yet? For Shame.
    RESOLVE THIS AT ONCE, YOU IMPUDENT WHELP!
    http://jakkuebansu.deviantart.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JakkuEbansu View Post
    I like the map... The one thing I wonder is how large the game area is...? The map seems kinda small in some places.
    It's bigger than it may appear. To give you an idea of the scale, Lake Triumphant is MASSIVE... from the western shore, you cannot see the eastern shore. And from the highest point in the city of Pelofest, only the uppermost third of Mount Pariah, leading up to the peak, is visible. Travelling in this RP will take time, unlike in Armeira where two cities on opposite sides of the map where reached within about two posts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JakkuEbansu View Post
    Magic's usually implemented fairly badly, as there doesn't seem to be a definitive system for how it works.
    I'd suggest doing what they do in the Order of the Stick, a D&D based webcomic. All the characters are fairly good levels, and the mage and cleric have lots of spells, but they must choose which spells to use at the start of each day, and they have limited magic energy to use.
    I agree. Magic has been implemented rather poorly in RPs. Maybe what you could do is give the characters a certain amount of Mana (like, magic power.)? You're Mana runs out after using a fair amount of magic and takes a whole RP day (or however long you think it should be) to recharge. Then, as you gain expirience, you gain more Mana power, or in other words, the amount of magic you can use in a day increases. It's just an idea though.

Also, I'm making a Google account as I type. I'll PM you the link.

Blog Entries

They had a system in Armeira.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kona-Chan View Post
    They had a system in Armeira.
    True. Armeira had a mana-based magic system. There seemed to be some discontent over how complicated it all was relative to standard combat skills, however.

In 20/20 hindsight, does anyone have input regarding the effectiveness of Armeira's magic system?

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The map is simply beautiful; it has that classic fantasy appeal. Though I wouldn't mind if it was a bit smaller; I rather like the idea of a focused RP. Not some huge epic quest to save an entire world, but a bit more down-to-earth, on more of a local--or at least continental--scale.

On magic, I simply think it just wasn't well-defined. I basically see RPs here going one of two ways: either very free-form and unregulated, or very much rule-driven and controlled. I felt as if you hadn't really specified the limits of magic in Armeira enough, just given a vague limit based on the stats and mana. But at the same time, I felt as if I couldn't get away with just anything. The ambiguity felt a bit limiting, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

New Question

As in many Fantasy RPGs, Azatiir will be sporting available Skill Upgrades for both the Arcane Skills, and Melee Skills.

Skill Upgrades for Arcane Skills are well under way, however I would like to know what types of Melee Skill Upgrades would you like to see implemented in Azatiir?

EDIT: If any of the old Armeira-members have any insights to share, they would be welcome:
    Last edited by Master Mew; 10th January 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added Armeira Mentions

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

What can you define as Melee skills again?

Was Buggabo99909 Roserade299909's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hilo, I am back again Mew, and I have two things to say, and one question.

Question: By "Arcane Spells," you do mean things that would just be in basic magics that would be easy for anyone to really learn and nothing all the uber powered until later still, right?

Things 1: I owuld join this one also, as long as you actually give me a more defined legacy of the story, rather than the world is being destroyed, and we have to stop it to put it simply, you have to give me an idea of what is causing it, and how the endeavor's are working, before I can really think about this stuff.

Things 2: Melee spells would be something that would be up front in battle, that would just sweep them away, or clobber them into the ground to put it simply, though names are out of the question for me, I say that you should have a few that would just be generic, like Kona-chan was saying with the sprints, some for blade weapons, like swords, like the samurai cutting through boulders and steel, and the such, some for swinging blades, like axes, that would say make it like a boomerang, where you through it, and then it sweeps a few people down, and then comes back, and ones for blunt weapons, such as clubs and hammers, which are pretty much good for clobbering things into the ground as I see them. Heavy and Hard are the only two adjectives that I can think of for Hammers.

For Arcane spells, try taking things from the Elements, what you destroy can also bring ideas, like if you destroy an Ice Dragon, then you might be inspired to make a blizzard like spell, and if you defeat a serpent you might think about something that would relate to it.

I take no credit for this banner, Kamex made it for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast