Every person--Weaver or not--shares a thread of fate with every other person in the world. Weavers are blessed with the power to see and manipulate those threads. There is exactly one thread between any two people. Technically speaking, this means every person in the world has billions of threads connected to them.
All the threads together represent the sum of humanity, the commonalities shared and understood by everyone. However, the threads represent the relationships between people. While complete strangers can achieve a basic understanding with each other, the relationship itself is very weak. Thus, the strength of the relationship between two people determines the thickness
of their thread. The thread between two people who have never met and have never heard of each other is incredibly fine; in fact, it is almost completely invisible to all but the most exceptionally powerful Weavers. Between best friends, the thread is much thicker, approximately an inch across.
In addition, the color
of the thread of fate determines the nature of their relationship:
- White: an acquaintance, someone whom you barely know and are barely familiar with
- Black: a mortal enemy, someone whom you utterly loathe and with whom you have no hope of salvaging your relationship
- Grey: someone you mistrust, though are still willing to work with, with the hope of improving your relationship
- Orange: family
- Yellow: an uneven relationship, often tainted by darker emotions like jealousy and anger, though only one-sided
- Green: a mutual understanding and respect for each other, though not necessarily friendship
- Blue: a true and deep friendship, even platonic love, to the extent of dying for one another
- Violet: romantic love, true and lasting
- Red: soul mates, with a love transcending all else; however, invisible until both people recognize the nature of their relationship
A thread can be multiple colors, except for Red; for instance, a sister who is also your best friend would have a thread that was both Blue and Orange.
While people can have many threads of the same color (such as many best friends or many lovers, with many Blue and Violet threads connecting you to them), a person has exactly one Red thread, and so only one soul mate.
In addition, Weavers can alter their threads with other Weavers, increasing the powers of both and adding a colored aura to their thread:
- Gold: a partner bond, where both Weavers can draw on each other’s power at will.
- Silver: an apprentice bond, with one Weaver designated as a student and the other a master; both may draw on the other’s power, though only if the master is willing