Stars in the Sky (Non-Pokémon)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Stars in the Sky (Non-Pokémon)

Blog Entries

Question Stars in the Sky (Non-Pokémon)

A while back, after repeated attempts through various means to contact the original creator (Byzantine), I secured staff permission to reboot this old classic. Anybody remember it?

Space, the final frontier. A collection of stars, planets and nebula that is said to extend in all directions unceasingly, infinitely. Within this infinite void, it is inevitable that a select few planets would become bearers of one of the most precious gifts that can be offered: life. Life can come in many forms and at many levels of intellect, sentient, non-sentient or even the grey area inbetween-semi-sentient. It can be avian, insectoid, bipedal or even a mass of ooze. Life is, in it’s own way, as infinite as the universe. For, if the universe is infinite, then so is life. It may be scattered, lost and alone, but as long as there is a universe, and it is indeed, infinite, life will always exist. However scattered. However alone.

But, life’s gift is a curse as well. Most life never ascends to the next level. Sentient life, awareness of one’s own being. The ability to progress technologically, to build. To forge weapons and cities. To care about something other then one’s next meal. If life is a gift, then sentient life is the more valuable then even the most precious jewels. But sentient life is a curse as well-for most sentient life forms are doomed to live and die on one planet-or to go on, in the void forever alone. Sentient life is blessed with the ability to create-guns, steel, and sometimes, even other forms of life. Sentient life is the universe’s revolt against itself - and at the same time, it is a way to know itself.

But the life of most sentient races remains lonely, forever searching for more life, for something else to talk to-to trade with, or even war with. But the universe is infinite and even non-sentient life is rare. The encounters between two types of sentient races are rare and fleeting at best. But, the universe is also infinite. And in it’s revolt against it’s own order, it can be clever, in it’s own unthinking way. There is one cluster, in one far-off galaxy that rebels against the very format of sentient life itself. For it plays host to more then one sentient life form, it plays host to many of them. The cluster is verdant, full of life, waiting to be explored, waiting for the sentients that occupy it’s planets to reach the stars.

Now, it’s wait is over. All over the cluster, different races have developed warp engines, hyper-engines, whatever they call them, the result is the same. They have broken the light barrier. The stars lay open for them to conquer, to explore. These races will be crafted by you, the Rpers. You will create one race - and guide it’s way along the stars. You can lead to them to glory and ever-lasting empire or, if you fail, to be just another sad casualty to the whims of the universe.

What your race becomes... what they do, is completely up to you.

The Roleplay

As you may have guessed, in this roleplay, instead guiding merely one character, you will be guiding a race of your own making. You can play as the leader of this race, one of a council or even tell the race’s story from the perspective of different citizens-or, you can take a general view of it. That is up to you. I intend for this RP to be something…different then the mainstream, that put you in control of one character. You will control a race, you will control battle-fleets, ground armies, generals and lords. The cluster is at your finger tips.

But there are a few limitations, for the sake of realism and fairness. They’ll be layed down in the rules-which are, conveniently, below.

1. No God-Modding: No auto-hits-and you can’t dodge everything thrown at you. Be reasonable. Give your opponents time to react in battle, as well (i.e. Don't pull off complex, extensive maneuvers in a single post).
    2. Technology Advancements: All technology you are researching must be approved by a GM before they can be researched - I’ll set down a fair amount of time for you to complete the research needed to get the technology (in real-world days). All research projects must be started in an IC post-after being Pmed to the GM and approved (big projects will need to be broken down into individual phases, which will be independently researched).
    3. Advantages/Disadvantages: Each race can have two advantages-and it must have two disadvantages. There is no compromise here.
    4. Be realistic: When you meet a new race, it’ll take some creative thinking to even communicate. Likewise, you won’t be able to research lasers right away, for example - you’ve got to research the theories behind them first; and even then, infantry-held laser weapons will be another research topic...
    5. No Meta-Gaming: You can’t use out of game knowledge to advance your race in the game. If you do, the consequences will be severe. If you know what your enemy is planning out-of-the game, but not in game, you can’t use that information in-game.
    6. GM: The GM’s word is law. Disobey at your own peril.
    7. Most Importantly: Respect your fellow RP'rs. To put it simply, per Google's corporate motto: "Don't be evil." (Out of character, of course - in character you can be as evil as you would like)

Profiles

Every race is unique-describe them in the following profile.

Example Profile (i.e. my profile)

Map

A map of the sector as it stands. I’ll place species home-worlds at random. As you expand, tell me what worlds you colonize (via OOC bits in a post-or via PM) and I’ll add them to the map.

Ardon Systems

Ardon Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Aridae (Skarulae), their homeworld.

Bariche Systems
    Bariche Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Alge Wanna (Algea), their homeworld.

Cordian Systems
    Cordian Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Ru-Iso (Piro), their homeworld.

Egallon Systems
    Egallon Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Egallonis (Verdaliis), their homeworld.

Grobbman Systems
    Grobbman Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Phantasma (Slendera), their homeworld.

Lan'iard Systems
    Lan'iard Planets: 2 colonized within their systems - Lan'rise (Claratsec), their homeworld, and Crisfais (Claratsec).

Ledonan Systems
    Ledonan Planets: 2 colonized within their systems - Temkif (Euphastesia), their homeworld, and Fikmet (Euphastesia).

Necroraptor Systems
    Necroraptor Planets: 2 colonized within their systems - Noctis (Umbra), their homeworld, and Arcana (Umbra).

Piscellan Systems
    Piscellan Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Malchior (Endalus), their homeworld.

Rutan Systems
    Rutan Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Rutus Prime (Rutus), their homeworld.

Sidurian Systems
    Sidurian Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - In'idura (Ladura), their homeworld.

Weeaboo Systems
    Weeaboo Planets: 1 colonized within their systems - Nipon (Amine), their homeworld.
    Last edited by Master Mew; 6th February 2012 at 01:54 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Yun
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stars in the Sky (Non-Pokémon)

I'm definitely joining this. Editing mine on Microsoft Word, so I'll post it later on once I finish it all.

Can I do the Xenomorphs from Aliens or AvP? Please Mewwwww? :P I think that it would be a cool thing for the RP, I mean a parasite that infects planets...It's own expansion is based majorly on other speicies interactions with it. Btw, they are very very intellegent...especially the queen.
    FCs: Heart Gold: 1892-8730-9569; White: 1549-4836-0020

Blog Entries
    Add Mister Insufferable on Facebook
    Follow Mister Insufferable on Tumblr

This reminds of the Elchemist from the Old Animorph series. Oh, ye good ol' days. Also, Tye, why don't you make a simular species?

Last edited by Mister Insufferable; 22nd January 2012 at 06:27 AM.

Call me Derry, Dermodio, Modio or Sir. Actually, scratch the first 3.
    Formally one of the best dag-nab roleplayers on this website yo.
    Winner of the 2011 Winter RPG Awards for Best Academy RP (Ampiomach Academy),
    Best Character in a Pokemon RP and Best GM in a Pokemon Roleplay

Help me complete the Pokedex with Shinies!
    Friend Code- 3067-5323-3960

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

The sheer depth of this makes my brain do backflips. Reserve a spot plz?
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

Yun
    Blog Entries

@Ampiomodio: I thought we were supposed to keep the research portion wiped until we start. Well, I'll ask Mew.

Blog Entries

@Ampiomodio - PENDING

Very nice sign-up. However, since your planet has not yet discovered life outside its system (no one has yet), it seems odd that you would already have the Multi-Kit researched. On that note, you seem to be missing a FTL (Faster-Than-Light) Tech - how will you ever reach other systems?

Please swap out Multi-Kit (which you can request to begin researching once the RP begins) for an FTL Tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKashiki View Post
    I'm definitely joining this. Editing mine on Microsoft Word, so I'll post it later on once I finish it all.
    Reserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye Taylors View Post
    Can I do the Xenomorphs from Aliens or AvP? Please Mewwwww? :P I think that it would be a cool thing for the RP, I mean a parasite that infects planets...It's own expansion is based majorly on other speicies interactions with it. Btw, they are very very intellegent...especially the queen.
    I would prefer that you develop your own, similar race (different name, different home planet, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piximon View Post
    The sheer depth of this makes my brain do backflips. Reserve a spot plz?
    Reserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKashiki View Post
    I thought we were supposed to keep the research portion wiped until we start. Well, I'll ask Mew.
    The only completed Research you should have at this point is your FTL Tech.

Blog Entries

Alright, no problem. Grobbmans away!

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of Spore, though vastly more complex. I like it . Reserve me a spot while I work on the massive profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    I would prefer that you develop your own, similar race (different name, different home planet, etc.)
    So can I still use the pictures of the aliens? Or should I find others?
    FCs: Heart Gold: 1892-8730-9569; White: 1549-4836-0020

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

To clarify, go ahead and start without me if that time should come. I just wanted to show my interest, and let you know I am in fact working on my form.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

This is gonna take a while, but I NEED to join this!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ampiomodio View Post
    Alright, no problem. Grobbmans away!
    Ampiomodio: Accepted!

However, would you mind leaving some room for improvement in your FTL Tech? At present, the description suggests that, other than inducing nausea, it's pretty much at maximum efficiency already.

I'll add your System to the map shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    This reminds me of Spore, though vastly more complex. I like it . Reserve me a spot while I work on the massive profile?
    Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye Taylors View Post
    So can I still use the pictures of the aliens? Or should I find others?
    Sure, you can use the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bpj1999 View Post
    This is gonna take a while, but I NEED to join this!
    Reserved.

(I shall finish this later! *looks at clock* My god I've been typing for a while...)

Race Name: Piscellans
    Home System: Endalus, 6 planets, Two life bearing planets, one of which can only sustain simple bacteria, orbits two stars Remul and Anoclys.
    Home Planet: Malchior
    Appearance: The Piscellans have a similar skeletal system to humans, but look extremely different. Their height averages out at about five feet tall. Their bodies are covered in thick protective scales, and several razor sharp fins on their forearms, head, and back. They have four eyes and small slits for nostrils. The fins on their arms, while mostly for swimming, are often used as weapons. Their hands have four fingers ending in pointed claws and are webbed to assist underwater. Their feet have three pointed toes that are also webbed together. On the lower half of their abdominal area are four gills. On their backs are two natural jets.

The females of the species are slightly larger, but they have significantly smaller fins.
    Population: 5 billion
    Biology: The Piscellans, are an amphibious species. Most of there life is spent underwater, but they have both gills and lungs. Because of the small amount of land on their home planet they rarely leave the oceans. They have two sets of eyes, one for the air and one for underwater. While underwater their land eyes are closed and vice versa. On their back two natural jets have formed to assist underwater in case great speed in is need. Air taken in while above water can be blasted out of the jets to push forward while swimming. As with many aquatic animals on Earth, the Piscellans eat anything smaller than themselves. Their lower jaw sticks out much further than the top one. Lining their mouths are razor sharp teeth for shredding their meal.
    Advantages:Several natural weapons formed o their bodies and able to survive on land and underwater.
    Disadvantages:Require constant moisture are not well adapted to dry land.
    Technology Level:Because of their underwater life, their use of electricity advanced much slower than other races. What little electronic advancements they made were mostly done on land. It took several centuries for them to develop technology that was equivalent to Earth's, but at the same time waterproof.

Alliances:

Current Research:

Project Name: Project Landwalker
    Technology being Researched: Designing a simple suit similar to Earth's diving suit, but will e used for the exact opposite. Instead of holding in air it would hold in water while on land.
    Description of Technology/Research: It would lengthen the Piscellans time they could spend on land. While Amphibious they do require moisture to survive. It would also allow them to survive on planets where the air is toxic to them.
    Time to Complete: 1 RL day (Started 1-28-2012)

Project Name: Wormhole Generator Attempt 1.0
    Technology being Researched: The ability to create miniature wormholes in the fabric of Space Time.
    Description of Technology/Research: While not entirely useful by itself, the wormholes could be used to transport messages and possibly people if combined with the right technology.
    Time to Complete: 1 RL day (Started 1-28-2012)

Completed Research:

Project Name: Laser Travel Attempt #42
    Technology being Researched: Ability to transforms atoms into pure radiation, and reassemble them at the right point.
    Description of Technology/Research: To fire said radiation to a general area and reassemble them in the right order. Because the atoms are fired in the form of light, the minute they hit something opaque, they reform. Possibly leading to very dangerous circumstances. In the small chance that they are reformed in an area to narrow, fatality is almost certain.
    Time to Complete: (Started 12-13-2009)

History: Malchior formed 8.5 million years before the current age, however life didn't form for 6.3 million years. The life of the planet seemed to advance quite quickly. Evolving from bacteria, to protists, and into fungi in under a million years, and split into plants, animals, and a distinct form of life nonexistent on Earth. Most of them formed underwater as 95% percent of Malchior's surface is covered by its large oceans. The Piscellans evolved from one of the few species that habited the land, a small lizard like alien. As time went on Malchior's orbit brought it slowly closer to its stars, and the polar ice caps melted causing the oceans to rise. The land animals either had to adapt or be killed off. The Piscellans' ancestors learned to dive underwater for food. Overtime their bodies adapted, and they formed simple gills two assist with their life. They grew more and more advanced until they were the top of the food chain. Their fast evolution led to an incredibly advanced brain. They formed packs, which grew into villages, which became towns, that grew into cities, that formed nations. Unlike many other sentient species the Piscellans rarely fought amongst each other choosing rather to stick together for survival. Only one or two wars had ever occurred in their recorded history.

They raised cities under the seas, ruled over by the emperor or empress, which was traditionally the first born child under the previous one. They advanced, training armies, despite being a mostly peaceful race. They constructed large domed cities for protection from the few larger creatures on the planet. Bored with just ruling over their own planet, the Piscellans developed the technology for FTS travel, with many failed attempts and several deaths.
    Fleet:

Ship Name: Aquari Mode 27
    Ship Type: Scouting Vessel
    Appearance: A bulky ship of an dark gray color. One large rounded window on the front. It has a large tank of water resting on the sides to keep the driver wet and alive. Since it wasn't designed for regular space travel, it wasn't built for aerodynamics. It has a few rocket boosters on the back if for some reason needed.
    Weapons:N/A
    Other: It is for the most part quite a simple ship. It is equipped with a radio, being the simplest form of communication through space. Other than its laser convertor for FTL travel, its only other big feature is a set of tubes and water tank for the Piscellans survival.
    Military:With almost no reason for having a military in the first place barely any of the population is in the organized military, but thousands of small militias and peacekeeping services exist on the planet.

Ground Vehicles/Weapons: Seeing as almost none of the Piscellan planet is dry land, they have little need for ground vehicles. They have instead developed many armored submarines similar to Earths tanks and armored trucks. They've tamed the gigantic sea creatures that roam the seas and are a possible defense. They've designed underwater weapons quite similar to Earth's guns, but they are completely useless if used above water.
    Last edited by Majin Mew; 28th January 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm bad at this

Grobbmans away again!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast