The Hero Project is the recruiting initiative of the Society of Order, and seeks to bring all the heroes of the world into one cohesive organization. The Hero Academy is the junior branch of the Project, where the youngest heroes are trained. Older, adult heroes, with more experience at controlling their powers, are simply enrolled directly into the Society, skipping over the Academy. However, the Society as a whole, including the Hero Academy, has a unified hierarchy, ranking heroes according to power and experience. There are three methods of ranking: Rank, Awards, and Class. Rank:
a measure of a hero's experience. From least to greatest:
- Rookie: The starting rank for all newly-enrolled heroes at Hero Academy; Rookies are confined mostly to training, with only a few, occasional missions against crime.
- Apprentice: After completing basic training, Rookies are promoted to Apprentice Heroes; although they too are still students at Hero Academy, they can enter into Apprenticeships with Master Heroes, and go out on more missions.
- Journeyman: In the final year of education at Hero Academy, students are promoted to Journeymen Heroes; they are responsible for taking on missions, but are not yet considered skilled enough to be fully independent. Journeymen are also allowed to finally choose and assume a heroic codename.
- Graduate: Upon completing their education at Hero Academy, the now-former student is fully enrolled into the Society of Order, and granted full authority to fight crime and uphold justice in their home city.
- Master: Heroes who distinguish themselves by earning any class of the Order of Justice (see below) can apply for Mastery; they are considered the elite among Heroes, the noblest and most experienced.
when a hero distinguishes himself/herself for a certain action, they earn membership in one of the following Order as an award. The awards come in three classes: Third, Second, and First.
- Order of Courage: For exceptional bravery in the line of duty
- Order of Peace: For selflessly acting to maintain peace
- Order of Faith: For exceptional teamwork without thought of reward
- Order of Justice: For selfless sacrifice in the name of true justice
a simple, scalar measure of a hero's raw power; it is not an absolute, fixed value, but can shift as a hero grows and develops. From least to greatest: D, C, B, A, AA, S, SS, SSS
The following is a general guide to the definitions of a class, based on power alone; however, experience can cause a rise in class regardless of power:
- D-class: no special powers, or one ability; often little to no experience; limited to Rookies
- C-class: multiple abilities in a single House category
- B-class: broad or powerful ability, or multiple abilities in two or more House categories; generally highest for Apprentices and Rookies
- A-class: any fully-developed ability; much experience; generally only Journeymen and above
- AA-class: significant experience, regardless of ability
- S-class: very advanced ability; significant experience; generally Graduates and above
- SS-class: extremely powerful; nigh unbeatable in certain circumstances
- SSS-class: practically speaking, nigh invincible