The Chronicles of Utropica Island - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Chronicles of Utropica Island

Default Re: The Chronicles of Utropica Island

"That sounds like an acceptable alternative, but I'd rather see what's out there before making any specific plans," Neil responded as they came out onto the deck. "I'm used to wandering through forests, not wastelands, so you'll have to give me a moment to adjust," he added, looking out across the tiny little pier at the island. "Shit." He had never seen a place so void of green, or any life, and it gave him chills as he looked at it for the first time. He knew his pokemon would be miserable on the island before plant life was successfully sewn. Then again, if birds avoided the place, there was no telling how their tame pokemon would respond.

The other field team's conversation drew his attention, and Neil finally looked over to notice the two Jeeps. "We might not need our pokemon yet," Neil commented to Joe.

He trotted up to the second Jeep, paused, and knocked on the first one to get Skyler's attention. "Hey, where are the keys to this one?" Now that he thought about it, the terrain might be noxious in some way, and he really didn't want to inflict that on any of his pokemon if there was an alternative like driving. Four-wheel-drive was just as good as four hooves, after all.

In the Hatchery, Chris snorted in mild amusement at Fae's question. "In the north it is, but in the south it's pretty balmy." She plunked down onto a stool. "Where are you from again?" Showed how much attention Chris paid when they had all stood up and introduced themselves.

"Really? I always heard Sinnoh was a cold, frozen place. Mustn't be right then..." Fae contemplated. When Chris asked her where she was from, she smiled. Someone else who'd not been paying very much attention during introductions. She'd really tried to, but for some reason her mind would always drift of at the mention of things that sounded interesting.

Facing one of the port holes in the hatchery, she said: "I'm from the Sevii Islands, all the way to the south. I've lived there nearly my whole life and I love it. The weather's always beautiful, I get to get to the beach nearly every day and though there don't live too many people, there come a lot of tourists, so it's never boring."

Letting on hand rest on the wheel, Skyler fumbled in his pocket for the keys of the other Jeep.
    "Here they are!" he called out to Neil, tossing the keys. "Just don't wreck it!" he couldn't help adding. The guy seemed more then competent in his job, but he was also kinda...goofy.

"As to whether we stay on the island or not, depends on what we encounter." Skyler said, turning to Jaron. "I don't plan on staying, we're just going to check out the lake, gather any info we can find and see if we can do anything. If there's something unexpected, we might stay, I've prepared for that already."

The Togetic that had been floating around Skyler's head now moved to the Luxray, chirping excitedly, not bothered in the least by it's gruffy attitude.
    Last edited by Dieter; 22nd April 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Add OverlordRuby on Facebook
    Follow OverlordRuby on Tumblr

After fifteen minutes of searching, Aoife found Minuita perched on the railing of the top deck. Aoife resisted the urge to look into the water. She'd always been a hydrophobe, and the water around here wasn't helping. Presumably from the meteor, there weren't any Pokémon to be found in the seas near the island. The ocean was dead around here, and it made Aoife want to scream and hide even more than regular water would. The whole thing was... eerie.

After that it was an easy matter to find the Jeeps they would explore the island with; they were just on the other side of the deck. Aoife noticed two other people there, just talking. Neil and... Skylar? Yeah, that was right.

"Um. Hi guys," she said nervously to the pair and their Pokémon, "Are we ready to go yet? W-where's everybody else?" She clenched her fists to fend off her anxious finder-snapping.

Neil nodded his thanks, then turned to unlock the Jeep's driver door. Once he had shoved himself into the driver's seat, he leaned over to unlock the passenger door so that Joe could get in.

Hearing another voice, Neil leaned out of the Jeep and looked at Aoife. "Everybody else has their own jobs to do," he called to her, then waved beckoningly. "You're with that group, so come on. We're ready to go as soon as you are." He wondered why she had her whole team out of their pokeballs, but he pushed that thought aside. He had better things to think about.

Key in the ignition, Neil twisted it to start the engine. He looked to Skyler, waiting for the Ranger to move his vehicle so Neil could disembark his.

Chris wrinkled her nose in distaste. "Ugh, tourists. There always were plenty of those in Hearthome and Veilstone. I never did go there much - I spent most of my time around Eterna. Dinky little small-town place." She snorted nostalgically, then heaved herself upright.

"I can't just sit around doing nothing. What the hell is there for us to do?" she grumbled aloud, frowning. She was impatient for the field teams to bring back samples for her to analyze.

Follow Glitch On Twitter Add Glitch on Facebook
    Visit Glitch's Youtube Channel

Jaron nodded, obviously relieved. He usually didn't have a problem with staying outside but... he cast a long, slow glance towards the barren island. Nobody had the faintest idea of what exactly was going on with this place. "Sounds good to me," he said, pleased as he edged a bit closer to the Jeep he'd be on.

Kovu snorted a bit at the Togetic, but a faint glimmer of amusement was present in its gaze as it watched the little white Pokemon zoom around back and forth.

Skyler impatiently tapped on the wheel. Where was that nervous wreck who called herself the professor's assistant? Really, he wanted to head out and she appeared to be the only one still missing.

When she finally arrived, her entire Pokémon party in tow, he shot her an annoyed glance, before answering her question.
    "Well, everyone's here, aren't they? We're all waiting for you!"
    Neil received an appreciative nod from the Ranger at his comment regarding everyone having their own job. He then drove down the gangway onto the pier, barely waiting for Aoife to board the vehicle.
    "I'll see you guys tonight!" he shouted over his shoulder to the other team, before heading to the north.

"You don't like tourists? They sometimes come with really interesting stories and I've become good friends with some of them..." Fae trailed off."Eterna? Haven't heard of it before, sorry..."

She plopped down on a chair next to Chris, sighed and nodded in agreement with Chris' statement.
    "There really isn't much to do here...Maybe...Maybe we could go to the beach?" she suggested, shuffling a little in her seat. The thought of going to the beach made her restless, it would be nice to see it, not just in the distance, but to actually be there. "Even if it's not as nice as the beaches in the Sevii Islands, it would still be nice..." she finished her thoughts out loud.

Blog Entries

"I'm sorry I w-was late guys," Aoife said, "Me and Bakky and Adelaide and Arachne had to go find Minuita. She was up on deck," she fiddled with her neon bangs, trying to make them more orderly, "So, what's our prime objective at the lake? Just some observations and tests on the water? I brought along any other equipment if we need it, just like Tilia said to." Aoife didn't want it to show too much in her voice, but she was excited. It was a great undertaking, the studying of the island. She couldn't imagine she'd done anything as important before as Tilia's assistant. The whole island was a dream come true, except for it's apparent dead-ness. Looking at the scorched landscape gave her the same feeling the water did, like she was looking into at a cemetery. Aoife looked at Skylar, the team leader, she presumed.

"Where are you from? Sinnoh?" she asked, trying to be friendly. She didn't want to give these people the wrong idea. Already, Aoife felt cold, questioning stares on her back. Maybe she was just paranoid.

Follow Glitch On Twitter Add Glitch on Facebook
    Visit Glitch's Youtube Channel

Jaron, impatient and eager, had begun to clamber up to the passenger side of the Jeep with a light-hearted grin. "Shotgun!" He chuckled as Kovu lightly leapt up onto the back of the vehicle.
    At Aoife's question, he cast a glance at Skyler. "Sinnnoh?" Jaron blurted out before Skyler could even reply. "Oh, sorry." He sheepishly crossed his arms over his chest and lowered himself into the seat with finality.

Neil waited for everyone to get loaded up, and once Skyler had backed his Jeep out of the way, he shifted his into reverse and followed. The Jeep's tires rumbled across the metallic gangplank, then deeper across the boards of the pier, before he heard the characteristic crunch of soil and rock. "We've made landfall," he commented to no one in particular. He felt a shuddering pokeball in his pocket, but ignored it. Myco would just have to wait to get out until they hit a stopping place.

From there, Neil drove the Jeep west, hugging the shore, until they found the dried-up bed that had once been the river flowing between the lake and ocean. "Here's the river. Skyler said to investigate the area southwest of the lake, and this is the southwest corner of the island. Shall we start here and work out way inland?" Neil asked, turning to his partner. "Depending on how far it is, we may be able to meet up with Skyler and Jaron at the lake itself before the end of the day."

Chris hummed thoughtfully. "I wouldn't mind having a look around the beach. I might even be able to find something interesting to look at rather than just sitting around." That certainly perked her up. She looked over at Fae. "Shall we, then? I doubt it'll be like any beach you're used to, but it's a beach and it's not cramped below deck."

Without waiting for Fae to agree or disagree, Chris pushed off the stool and stood. She headed for the door with one hand in her pocket, curling around the nicked surface of Hercules' pokeball. She hadn't released him much over the journey, and she was sure the big dragon would appreciate being outside his pokeball.

ooc; sorry that took so long, folks. and since there's been a recent change in teams, i didn't specify in case i mess it up.

The Jeep drove in northern direction, driver and passenger both silent for a while. The ride was rather monotonous and after a while, the Togetic fell asleep in the back seat. Its trainer appeared rather bored too, constantly glancing at the horizon if the lake was in sight already. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, but couldn't have been more then an hour at most, the lake (or what was left of it) got in sight.
    "So, Jaron. Besides toxic and not very deep, what do you reckon the lake will be like?"

"Oh, that would certainly be nice, some fresh air would be great." Fae responded, relief hidden in her voice. In an upbeat tone she continued: "Maybe we'll find something interesting! Like, I dunno, the cause of the islands destruction, maybe it was some sort of big angry Pokémon! Or not."
    She chattered on, unaware that Chris had left already.
    "I'm sure whatever it is, we will be able to solve it, won't we? Oh I better not forget my bag, pretty important stuff in there, last time I forgot it-"
    Fae finally realised she was alone, prompting her to laugh at her own unawareness, grabbed her bag and chased after Chris.

She caught up with the woman on the pier.
    "I hadn't noticed you were gone already."
    She laughed again, skipped ahead of Chris, then waited at the end of the pier. She waited for the woman to catch up with her in silence, then suddenly blurted out: "Do you think the destruction of the island..." Fae lowered her voice, "could be due to a legendary Pokémon?"

Blog Entries

EDIT: I'll try to pretend I was with Neil the whole time.

"Sounds acceptable." Aoife said to Neil. "If you don't mind, I'd like to do a a quick soil sample. Tilia thought it might be helpful, to detect pH levels and other particles." she took a pair of rubber gloves from her backpack and pulled them on. Again, out of her backpack she drew a small set of bottles and a trowel. "It's mostly igneous rock, not too much soil. Nothing here to die and make dirt."

Aoife used the trowel to chip away at the ground, and placed the fragments inside the bottles. She walked into the dried-up riverbed and did the same procedure. "We'll take these back to the lab when we get back. For now, we'll just walk, I suppose, and see if we can observe anything interesting." Aoife began walking towards the large mountain in the distance without waiting.
    Last edited by OverlordRuby; 6th May 2012 at 06:50 PM.

OOC|| Oh, Magmarashi, Aoife was relocated to go with Neil, instead of Jaron and Skyler, so Neil wouldn't be all on his own, due to Anon leaving
    I thought I posted that on the OOC board...didn't I?

Also, no problem, happens to me quite a lot as well
    Though lately things seem to have gotten a bit better again, last time the server spaced on me is at least a week ago I think

Blog Entries

OOc: 'Kay, I'll edit it or something...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12