Roleplaying Section's General Chat Thread: a thread for...chatting. - Page 48

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Roleplaying Section's General Chat Thread: a thread for...chatting.

Vile, Venomous Villain Murkmire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Roleplaying Section's General Chat Thread: a thread for...chatting.

Hi there, all. How goes it?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

The problem with "whatever suits the GMs best", Heroic Sociopath, is that too many years of too many GMs being too demanding about sign-ups have left this forum with only the people who like long sign-ups.

So yeah, that's why we're going to heavily discourage (without banning) that sort of sign-ups - because at this opint it's a natural reflex, and it's one we want to see reversed.

We don't mind one or two people doing it. The current situation doesn't involve one or two people.

And equating "character not described at length" with boring character is a fallacy of the highest order. A character who hasn't been described at length yet is simply a ccharacter with room to become whatever they will become. A character who has been described at length is a character stuck in whatever they were described as. They both have just as much potential to be boring or interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Bro, I'm not saying you need to describe a character at length. Most of the sign-ups for my RPs can run about a paragraph if the player wants to. I'm just saying that if one can't write that much about their character, I doubt that the character is very good. And it's really best to know what your character looks and acts like before an RP starts. And again, personality shouldn't be in start-ups. And how putting a sentence or two for appearance and maybe a bit of history can restrict a player is beyond my ken. Enlighten me?

And if a sign-up is so long that it's alienating people, then it clearly doesn't suit the RP best. Let me rephrase: Sign-ups should be tailored to the RP in question. So, like, history can likely be nixed or made optional in a journey RP, since like all the characters are gonna be around 10, so probably won't have much of a history. But, like, it's more important if you have a lot of backstory and plot twists in your RP you don't want a character's past contradicting.
    Last edited by Heroic Sociopath; 6th April 2013 at 01:57 AM.
    Not changing my signature 'till TWEWY 2 comes out.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Garden_of_Olympus/index.php?act=idx

Empress of the Bird Reich Lyrebird's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't believe the hardest part about doing a sign-up is the title. It has been an hour and 40 minutes and I can't think of a title

Stupid lack of creativity.

Blog Entries

How to Eat Fried Wurmple.
    Italy-kun likes this.

Also this RP is really cool. It's like Percy Jackson. You can be a god's reincarnation and have powers and you're at a school and it's totally radical!

Blog Entries

It is like a worm. Crunchy.

Anyway finally simplified it to my liking.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

And it's really best to know what your character looks and acts like before an RP starts
    Not really, no. If many of the greatest characters in fictions were the work of impromptu writing and people who took a life of their own, then surely RPGs (which, frankly, should have much lower standards of characterization) can benefit from them too.
    Italy-kun likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Most books I've read on writing, like On Writing by Stephen King and How Not to Write A Novel actually recommend having some idea on how a character acts. And most good books have outlines.

Did you know Stephanie Meyer didn't use an outline for Twilight?

But that's beside the point. I usually don't require a personality section in my RPs, because I do agree that standards of characterization are lower. If I required every character be masterfully crafted, that would require I cut out about half the sign-ups sometimes (Althouhh I have had a few RPs with some pretty good characters, even if you don't judge it by the standards of an RP.)

I just ask for history and appearance, the former usually being optional. If a player has no idea how their character looks, then I kinda doubt they're gonna be good at RPimg. If they're unwilling to put in five minutes, tops, into what their character looks like, I find they tend to put about as much effort into actual posting. You might say that sign-up quality has little bearing on RP quality, but I've seen it more than a few times. It's not a perfect indicator, but if someone fails completely at a sign-up, that's a decent indicator they'll do poorly. Like of you got a sign-up like this:

Then you can pretty safely say the player isn't gonna be good, or is a troll. Either way, I wouldn't take them.
    Last edited by Heroic Sociopath; 6th April 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Well it is up to the GM to think if it is bad or good. I don't know I'm been eating a massive breakfast and I can't think.

Anyway I mean just have to take each sign-up and think about it to decide.

Blog Entries

One can have a distinct idea of the sort of character they are crafting, even down to the most minute detail, without including it all in their sign-up. Two distinct issues are being discussed here.

Overly detailed sign-ups (of which I am an offender in the highest degree) breed lazy writing. "Why describe my character's physical attributes when they enter the room? It's all there in my sign-up if anyone wants to know."

"Why emphasize my character's perpetual angst? I already explained it in their 'Personality' section."

If you don't believe me, go read an rp you aren't participating in, without reading the sign-ups, and look for those sorts of details. They are overwhelmingly absent.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

Eh, from what I've seen, people tend to fall into their own style pretty quickly. So if someone likes to have lengthy descriptions of their character in each post, I don't think that having already written an appearance section in a sign-up will change that all that much. If someone's writing lazy, it's usually less because they had a sign-up with an appearance section, and more because they are lazy.

Blog Entries

I just realized something. One character I have in a RP is named Delphine while in another is Daphne with an older sister named Delphine. However Delphine and Daphne both have an older sister. So woah.

Wow that's heavy.

Blog Entries

I gave all my dudes the initials E N for a while, for no reason other than that I felt like it. Then I ran out of E names and stopped.

Blog Entries

But I mean if it weren't for the time issues (Like one starting out in RP and another one starting in another one. The one year age gap) It could have worked. Woah unless academy one plays a prologue.

Ta da.

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

Wow, it's been a WHILE since I've been here. How does it go, everybody?
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast