Wireless Connection Problems (Q&A)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless Connection Problems (Q&A)

Blog Entries

Default Wireless Connection Problems (Q&A)

This thread is designed to help all users with any problems or issues they may have with connecting to Nintendo Wi-Fi on Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Sorry about the links, but you will possibly need your respected one throughout your installation.

Nintendo's official Wi-Fi website.

Click here if you have a Belkin router.
    Click here if you have a Linksys router.
    Click here if you have a Netgear router.
    Click here if you have a Zyxel router.
    Click here if you have a Hawking router.
    Click here if you have a DLink router.
    If your router brand isn't here, let me know in the comments. This walkthrough will still help you though!

PLEASE NOTE: Asking Windows (or whoever) or your internet provider will probably result in: nothing. Nine times out of ten they won't be able to help you. If no other tutorials help you, including this one, your best bet is to just surf the web and piece it together.

Okay, granted that there are a lot of tutorials out there for connecting to Wi-Fi provided by Nintendo (and to some extent, your proxy brand), none of them are particularly easy to understand. ._.
    At least not in my department of knowledge anyway. Also, you'll have to forgive me for not knowing all that complicated jargon that professional techies use D:

AOSS
    AOSS stands for Air Station One Touch Secure System. This is for connecting to Wi-Fi that is already prepared for you to use. You would use this if hotels supply 'Free Wi-Fi' etc. Also, sometimes, McDonald's offer Free Wi-Fi? This is the button to use.

Search for an Access Point
    Nine times out of ten, this probably won't work - still, if you're luck and it does, you need not fiddle anymore. Confirm it as your chosen connection, make sure it is recited as 'Ready' and off you trot.

Manually Setting Up

Firstly, if you have the ability to do so, click Start > Run > /ipconfig . That is a very quick way to get this done. If you can do it, the majority of information you need will be here. Should include your Subnet Mask, SSID and IP Address (which you shouldn't disclose).

- If it doesn't work for you on Run, no worries. If you are on Windows, going to the Control Panel is your first step.
    - Once here, clicking on Network Connections and finding your current Internet Connection is key
    - When you've found it, click Support at the top and then over to Details. From here, the new window should provide you your IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. It also supplies you with your Primary DNS, but we won't need it right now. Write it down on paper or Notepad or something...

- By all means, make sure you have the 3 stated above.
    - Whether you use wireless or wired proxy, your Internet Connection should have a name or 'SSID' (Service Set Identifier) if you will. It shouldn't be too hard to find and you should know it anyway if you use it all the time. For example it could be your house name 'six' or your family's surname. Windows will address it as your 'Network' and it should be in the bottom left hand corner of the Network Connections (on the Control Panel) window along with the above information. Got that?

- Tapping in your SSID into your Wi-Fi setup on Pokemon Diamond is now pretty simple if you've got it.

Here comes the annoying part. Your WEP Key.
    - The majority of proxy providers will only use WAP Keys. This should include Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, Zyxel and a few others. I'm pretty sure that a few like Hawking and DLink will allow you to change it quite easily, but these should be WEP anyway. There is an easier way to change it from WAP to WEP - ask whoever is responsible for your Internet (your parents or w/e) first though and tell them what you are doing. ._. On your servers homepage, you can change it. To get to it you need to put your IP Address into your web browser (the IP Address you got earlier). It should be easy to find, but just click around till you find something. I am with Belkin and as such, it is on the homepage - in fact, mine goes so far as to say WAN IP o_O. They're all the same though, from what I've been told. Okay, so as far as I'm aware, they are all 2 digits. **.**.**.** like. Okay?

- The alternative to switching key format is simply disabling your proxy's security for a while, whilst you battle/trade. It is arguably a little risky, allowing your neighbours to log onto your internet connection. Ensure you have as many firewalls as possible up whilst you are doing this. If you do choose this option, it is much quicker and simpler, but at the above cost.
    - Fortunately for me, I only needed my SSID and WEP Key (which I didn't have). If you have both of these or you decided to opt for a Key switch or security breach, you may want to try connecting now and see if it works. If you're lucky, you won't need much more hassle.

If not, here we go again.

- Your IP address is very easy to find. Use /ipconfig on Start>Run and it should tell you. Another way to find it is on your Network Connections window on the Control Panel.
    - You should already have your Subnet Mask also, from earlier. Read above if you haven't got it or if it wasn't there, please post in the thread explaining.
    - Your Gateway should also be in the Network Connections window. Remember, if you have more than one, you need your Default Gateway.
    - Always try to Auto-obtain your DNS. Your DNS is a bugger to find.
    - For some unknown reason, /ipconfig doesn't work for me. If that is the case for you, go to Run and type cmd and press enter. Then type ipconfig/all . Your DNS should be here. Your Nintendo DS will tell you to have a Primary and Secondary DNS. The majority of the time, you will only have one. On ipconfig it will be called DNS Servers - even if it only shows one. Blot that into your DS.

If everything goes right, which you can be sure it won't, this is all you'll need. ._.

MAC Address Filtering
    MAC Address Filtering is a filter that prevents people from hopping on your internet whilst your security is down and is very important to use, alongside firewalls. It is simply a unique code that filters through who gets on by way of your vote. Basically, if you want your computer on it, but no one elses. It will also up your security, without security (which makes no sense). You can add a MAC Address filter by going to your ADSL router/proxy's homepage (IP address in toolbar). Consolidate the proxy's owner before adding a MAC Address filter. Your MAC Address will need to be 12 digits, so pick something you'll remember e.g and a very unsafe example: 11-22-33-44-55-66

WPA to WEP
    WPA or WAP encryptions are all well and good for your computer and having a nice, smooth Internet Connection, but they play absolute hell with Nintendo Wi-Fi. If you happen to have a WPA connection, you will not be able to play online with your DS. However, WEP security or no security will allow you to do so. I will now attempt in the endeavor of showing you how to do so. Okay, so the first step is to go to your web browser and punching in your IP Address to go to your router's homepage. There, you should see a tab with Security on it, click that. It will then show you with your security mode being either WPA or WPA-PSK. Click it and you can scroll down to either 64 or 128 b WEP. Pick whichever tickles your fancy, most people vouch for 128. Then, it will ask you for your passphrase. This is unnecessary for your Wi-Fi connection, so you may just generate one. If you have a utility, you will need to edit it appropriately to remain on the internet at the same time. Wa-la. You are done. Alternatively, you can vouch for 'Disabled' security, if you intend on only using Wi-Fi very briefly. Not so hard, eh?

Firewalls
    Some time in your setup, you're likely to come across a firewall that will stop you in your tracks, just to be annoying. The Windows Firewall is the most common one for this and, as I'm sure you are aware, you can turn it off using the control panel. Although this isn't advised at all, if it the only obstacle in your way, it may be worth turning it off momentarily whilst you play on Wi-Fi. Before doing so however, ensure you have atleast one Firewall open such as AVG, etcetera. Windows Firewall offers an 'exception list' in which you can allow certain programmes you bounce around the Firewall and still function properly. Unfortunately, Nintendo Wi-Fi can't be made an exception prior to my knowledge.

Error Codes
    Error Codes happen as a direct result from failure by your router or service provider. It almost certainly not by fault of Nintendo. Here are a few common error codes and how you can solve them.

Error Code: 4
    Somebody has messaged me recently explaining that they have received error message No. 4. Allow me to stress that this is completely abnormal. All error codes are five-digits in length and are over the number 15000. Unless I can find some reason why you have it, or unless someone illuminates the mystery, I'm going to go with the easy ultimatum and summarise this in one word: 'hax'.

Error Code: 20100
    An error code that was created in 2010, oddly enough. This is an error code stating that something is wrong at Nintendo's end and that the servers have been taken down temporarily. Solution: wait a few hours and try again later. This is probably just Nintendo updating or upgrading servers or something awful. If, however, after hours or even the next day or something, it still persists, there may be something wrong with your internet connection, however you are more likely to see a different error code BEFORE this one, so keep your eyes peeled that you don't get two separate error codes. If this error code appears for you, please post in the thread. <3

Error Code: 20102
    If you discover this error code, it's because you are a complete moron and are trying to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi with hacked Pokémon. Try reconnecting with some Pokémon that you didn't make with PokeSav or Action Replay and try again. However, you can work around this error code by simply turning off your Nintendo DS forever.

Error Code: 51099
    This error code only applies to DSi and DS XL users - if you have this error with a normal DS, you have just broken the planet. This error code is created because you are trying to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi without having an actual internet connection. Firstly and most importantly, ensure that your router isn't on the list of incompatible routers. If it is, sorry, but sadface. You'll have to buy a new router or use a hotspot because Nintendo Wi-Fi simply cannot connect with it.

If, however, it is compatible, go to your router's homepage (Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig/all > type the IP address in your web browser.) and go to the security tab. Here, it will show you your security settings. If your security is either WPA or WPA-PSK, you will have the ability to play Nintendo Wi-Fi, but you are not (and never will be!) able to original Nintendo DS Games, bear that in mind! This is because they are programmed to work with only WEP Security. You can easily change this however using the same Secutiy tab your are on. Alongside WPA and WPA-PSK, 64 and 128-bit WEP is also available. Whereas 128-bit is generally favoured, the choice is yours - you will lose the access to the internet as you will need to edit the settings on your router program, such as I have Belkin Wireless Network Utility, you will have something similar. Change the settings there from WPA/WPA-PSK to whatever-bit WEP. - Once you regain internet connection, retry connecting to Nintendo Wi-Fi!

Still nothing after changing from WAP to WEP? Hell, let's take a much easier, but slightly more drastic measure. Remove the security from your router. Yes, yes, I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous and potentially life-threatening if you have a bad heart, but - Go to your router's homepage, which you're hopefully still on. Go to the Security Mode tab and simply go to Disabled. Again, you'll lose connection, but ensure you edit the changes on your utility. I personally have this issue because my router is allround crap, so I have to disabled and enable my security in order for my to play on Nintendo Wi-Fi, but it works a charm. Check if this works now. If it doesn't, at least we tried our best. Ensure that you always reapply your security settings to default (or whatever they were before, write them down if you forget) so that you have security on your router.

IMPORTANT EXPLANATION!
    If you remove any form of security from your router, people within a small radius, such as neighbours have the ability to connect to your router by using your internet. Allow me to stress that the chances of someone around your house connecting to your internet for the brief period you connect to Le Wi-Fi is very, very low. Even if they do, it is likely their computer is too distant and the connection will be too fragile to even do anything with. Just make sure it goes back up. Plus, you lot are so nerdy and play Pokémon, that you probably live in a field where no one can connect to your router, so. <3

Error Code: 51300
    This is an error code that appears due to a problem with your WEP key. I'll make this short because it is a horrific error code and can be easily fixed. Basically, if you have 64-bit WEP security, your WEP-key will be 10 digits long. If it is 128-bit, you must use 26 digits. Firstly, note that the keys are completely case sensitive, so unless you have a good memory or save it somewhere, avoid doing the likes of A3c43eeabblolzbbw123B, OK? It sucks bad. Plus, you can only use the following digits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E and F. Nothing else. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS put this WEP-key in Slot No.1! This should ultimately fix it, if not, your WEP-keys do not match up. I can do nothing but tell you to check, check and check again.

Error Code: 52000
    This is basically saying that it is having trouble reading what you've input as your IP Address in your Wi-Fi connection settings. Go to Start > Run > and type ipconfig/all. This will show you your IP address alongside your Subnet Mask, etcetera, etcetera. Just go back to your DS Wi-Fi Installation settings and double check that the IP addresses match there.

Error Code: 52100
    This is basically saying that it is having trouble reading what you've input as your IP Address in your Wi-Fi connection settings. Go to Start > Run > and type ipconfig/all. This will show you your IP address alongside your Subnet Mask, etcetera, etcetera. Just go back to your DS Wi-Fi Installation settings and double check that the IP addresses match there.

Error Code: 52103
    This only applies if you use a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. The reason said connector isn't connecting is because a firewall is banfractioning you. Firstly - AVG, Norton, Symantec and ZoneAlarm. I'm unfamiliar with the control panel for the latter three, but there should be some form of allowance or exception list on the panel of the anti-virus - I'm only familiar with AVG. First of all, with the exception list, you should be able to 'Except Device/Program'. Clearly, you want to except the connector, so see if you can find it in the options when it is connected (to your computer). If that doesn't work, disable the firewall section of the Anti-Virus. If THAT doesn't work, disable the whole bloody thing and try. Ensure you have it updated, your computer shouldn't suffer any/much harm for the duration you take it down to Wi-Fi with.

Again, if this doesn't work, it's possible (and more likely) that your router's security is blocking you off. Please see Error Code 51099 for a massive but arguably quick and easy way to remove your router's security, or change it.

Error Code:86420
    This error is found ingame. It's mainly because you have a problem with a firewall. Please read the firewall section to see if this helps. Firewall's can be switched off by using the Control Panel for Windows or any control panels on another program. Though it is unadvised you do so, ensure you turn another on in place. Also, in game, ensure that you both try hosting a trade or battle. I for one have had this issue too.

If you have trouble finding anything, utlimately:
    Start
    Run
    'cmd'
    Enter
    'ipconfig/all'

I sincerely hope this helps.
    Corrections welcomed.

THIS THREAD IS STILL CHECKED UPON REGULARLY, INCLUDING UPDATES. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK! WE WILL ALL BE VERY WILLING TO HELP!
    Last edited by Luxio; 1st November 2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries

Visit Wiilio's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Wireless Connection Problems (Q&A)

Thanks Matchbox. This should help out a lot of people.

Blog Entries

On behalf of AiedailEclipsed, I've added a section on MAC Address filtering, so thank you AiedailEclipsed.

The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i have a net gear router, and it says that the access point's security settings are not supported by the nintendo ds,

help? haha

Blog Entries

If you make a mistake during the connection process, your router should come with a yellow cable that can be connected from your router to your computer to reset the process.

Alternatively, if you have a connection on another computer and can get to your routers homepage, you can reset your router on your routers homepage.

Blog Entries

Since we have a LOT of people asking Wi-Fi questions, I decided to bring this out of a retired forum and put it here. Hopefully, this be a nice resource for people who have simple Wi-Fi questions. While this was originally written with DP in mind, there are several useful tips here that aren't unique to DP or getting Wi-Fi access to a DS, or any gaming console (though those could easily be helped by this).

Again, hopefully this being brought back will help a lot of people.

Blog Entries

Also, if you're having problems with connecting to Wi-Fi, don't forget to check out Nintendo's support site as your game tells you to; I know that most people that made threads about it haven't seemed to check it.

Blog Entries

I have a problem with my Wifi USB connector!

I have installed the software, have everything setup and good to go, but then I get an error code. So I got to Nintendo's website, and their saying I have to change the IP Address of my Router :( first off, I have no idea on how to do that, and second- if I change the IP Address, will I have to reconnect all my computers?? (There are 6 in my house!) Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I have a problem with my Wifi USB connector!

I have installed the software, have everything setup and good to go, but then I get an error code. So I got to Nintendo's website, and their saying I have to change the IP Address of my Router :( first off, I have no idea on how to do that, and second- if I change the IP Address, will I have to reconnect all my computers?? (There are 6 in my house!) Thanks!!!
    I'm the person who's been trying to connect with Milkapoke for a trade, I have tried my best to solve whatever the problem is on my end (was concerned because I had the same problem with someone else.

I did a Pal Pad cleanout, I've tried to Port-forward, and I've even used a Wi-Fi Hotspot (Burger King) just to rule out it was my router. The odd thing is I can use GTS fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granis View Post
    I'm the person who's been trying to connect with Milkapoke for a trade, I have tried my best to solve whatever the problem is on my end (was concerned because I had the same problem with someone else.

I did a Pal Pad cleanout, I've tried to Port-forward, and I've even used a Wi-Fi Hotspot (Burger King) just to rule out it was my router. The odd thing is I can use GTS fine.
    Hmm, Nintendo's Battle/Trade server may be down. What error code did it give you?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    Hmm, Nintendo's Battle/Trade server may be down. What error code did it give you?
    On my home internet, when we were trying, I was getting Error 86420 (I have been trying various things on my Router to fix to problem, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to Port-Forward on a Belkin Router, namely. I also plan to buy a USB Wi-FI thing similar to the one Milkapoke has tomorrow.)

But when we were trying when I was at Burger King, it was Errors 52100 and 52000

Keep in mind at both networks, I have been able to use WI-Fi features at the GTS building (GTS, Battle Replays, etc.) with no issues.

Blog Entries

I have also gotten 52000 and 52100; not the 86420 one though. I'll see if I can't get on the GTS-yesterday I could :P

Blog Entries

Error Code: 52000

Error Code: 52100
    This is caused because your router is a little bit too busy and is basically saying it doesn't want your DS to jump onto the same IP address as six other computers. There is a way round this though. You need to increase your current IP address by ten digits. So, go to Start > Run > ipconfig/all and write down your IP address. As an example, let's say your IP addres is 192.168.1.100. You need to register your IP address in your Wi-Fi Installation as 192.168.1.110. Using a hotspot will generally eliminate this error code anyway. This should help. Or at least, I hope it will.

Error Code:86420
    This error is found ingame. It's mainly because you have a problem with a firewall. I've just added a segment on Firewalls, so see if that helps. If not, let me know. Also, in game, ensure that you both try hosting a trade or battle. I for one have had this issue too.

I hope that helps you guys.
    Last edited by Luxio; 1st August 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Updated OP with a segment of information on error codes. I will include more error codes when I get more spare time, hope this helps.

Registered User VanillaThunderbolt's Avatar

Don't know if this is the right spot, but I use no$gba to play a Platinum ROM (which is basically my way of having a Shoddy Battle for the Battle Frontier). I know all of my hardware connections are perfectly fine and usable, but I don't think it's possible for n$gba to even SEE or pick up any network connections. Is there any way for it to use my computer's Wireless NIC to pick up my router's signal? o.o

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast