Wifi problem: WPA to WEP?

Thread: Wifi problem: WPA to WEP?

Blog Entries

Default Wifi problem: WPA to WEP?

Okay, so I really want to try out the wifi features of the 4th gen games, but my security is WPA and I need WEP. What's the difference? How would it affect my computer, modem, and all the devices connected to it (like my Wii)?

Default Re: Wifi problem: WPA to WEP?

Well, WEP is lower security than WPA. I've heard someone complaining about how their Acer laptop won't connect to WEP, so I'm not sure if it will work for you. You will just have to change the connection settings on all of your devices, although I'm not sure how to change your router from WPA to WEP, so I can't help you there.

Blog Entries

Which one do more people use?

WEP is BAD.

Pretty much all devices support WEP for backward compatibility reasons. It is fake security, however, in that it can be broken in 5 mins with some programs any 13 year old can download from the web. Essentially, if you run WEP on your router, almost anyone can easily break into your network and leech your Internet connection, do illegal things with it and get your family in trouble, possibly hack into your computers, etc.

Due to this, everyone has moved to WPA and WPA2, except in cases where someone has an outdated device that only supports WEP...

If you really want to use WEP, check if your router supports MAC Address Filtering. With this feature, you can authorize only certain devices to connect to your router, and block everything else. Hackers can still bypass this relatively easily, but at least you might be safe from the 13 year old kind. >_>;

Blog Entries

I use WPA2 on my router, but when I want to use my DS, I just go into the settings and disable security (I don't bother putting WEP on, but you do whatever you want.)

And when I'm done, I just turn WPA2 back on. I use the Tomato firmware on a Linksys router, and it saves all the previous security settings when I turn them back on.

Platinum: 1634-0556-3616

SoulSilver: 4641-1635-4301

Brock: I didn't know Vikings still existed.
    Ash Ketchum: They mostly live in Minnesota.[/center]
    Quote Originally Posted by Martonimos View Post
    The way to a woman's heart is through her Ampharos.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    But if I do a lot of drugs, doesn't that make me a higher being?

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

it helps if you only do it at night when you think everyone in your neighborhood is possibly sleeping rather than doing it in the middle of the day when everyone and their grandmother are out scanning for networks.

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Mawile's Gonna Get An Evo MechPlasma's Avatar

Yes, it's very important to be careful of all those hackers that definitely exist. In your own neighbourhood there's, on average, 20 thirteen-year-old kids desperately trying to break into your connection. That's definitely something kids do nowadays, all the time!

Seriously though, unless you live in an apartment and have the only wireless router there, you really don't have anything to worry about.

Anyway, to switch, you should be able to access your router settings by typing your Gateway address (eg: http://192.168.1.1) as a url. You can get your gateway address by:
    -Windows XP: start -> run -> type in "cmd" -> type in "ipconfig"
    -Windows Vista/7: start-> type in "cmd" in the search bar at the bottom -> type in "ipconfig"
    After that, it really depends on what router you have, so we can't help you after that.

Edit: oh, nearly forgot: if you do this you're gonna need to have to change the password used to connect, so make sure everyone who uses it knows that.