Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What MMOs do you play?

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Default What MMOs do you play?

So are you a person who likes to play MMOs (Mass Multiplayer Online) games? Well which ones have you played? What are their pros and cons? And would you recommend them?

In my case I've only really played two MMOs.

1. Aika Online

2. Spirit Tales
    IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

Blog Entries

Default Re: What MMOs do you play?

I used to play Runescape. I'd recommend it for people with a lot of spare time.

Cons:
    Takes forever to build up your levels
    Slows down your computer

Pros:
    If you put the work in you can eventually buy your own house and buy/win cool stuff.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I play SW:TOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) and WoW (World of Warcraft)

I'm pretty active in both games (being in raiding guilds and an avid PvPer in SWTOR) and they're both a lot of fun.
    Bill Cipher likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Rawr! Berrenta's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

I play Anarchy Online, and somewhat active there. Despite the steep learning curve, once you get acquainted and work things around, it's pretty fun.

Used to play Runescape, but leveling became a drag, and those lowbies always follow me around asking for stuff... Yep, I hate them.
    X/3DS FC: 1289 8751 6620 In-game name: Karen
    Claims: Nidoqueen, Mawilite, Hondew Berry, Fiery Dance, Flower Veil
    Claims (other): Luke Triton (Professor Layton), Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)

Skyworld Warriors, a Kid Icarus fan club
    Friend Safari: Poison (Kakuna, Swalot, Whirlipede)

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

I play World of Warcraft in the European servers. I know the game gets a fair share of hate, but I love it. Especially nowadays, you can dedicate only an hour every so often and still feel rewarded, contrary to popular belief. The problem is that people tend to take some things as mandatory when they really aren't and get frustrated. Why, with the new expansion I took ages (ok, only close to two months) to hit the cap on my main character because I was busy leveling a Pandaren Monk and then doing fun stuff like the minigames in a place called the Darkmoon Faire and exploring old content to get nice looking gear or mounts, as well to experience things I never had an opportunity to.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow MonsterMMORPG On Twitter Add MonsterMMORPG on Facebook Add MonsterMMORPG on Google+
    Add MonsterMMORPG on Linkedin Visit MonsterMMORPG's Youtube Channel

I played knightonline for a long time
    Also played wow just 15 days then realized how pointless game

PlanetSide 2
    Pros
    -It's free
    -Each server can hold 6000 people, and each continent 2000 (currently three continents). That's a never ending battle of you, your teammates, and the enemy.
    -Incredibly addictive gameplay
    -Being on the delivering end of a blitzkrieg can be exhilarating. So is being of the receiving end, but you're not guaranteed to survive
    -The Roadmap feature on the game's website allows you to take part in the development process, giving your feedback and opinions on ideas the developers have for future updates
    Cons
    -If you're not a premium member, you might have to wait in a queue for a long time (particularly bad of the Indar continent during Friday Night Ops)
    -Borderlines pay-to-win
    -You use certification points to upgrade your classes, weapons and vehicles, but the cert acquisition rate is rather slow and the cert prices are ridiculously high. You could alternatively pay real money for station cash to buy weapons and certain upgrades for your classes and vehicles (hence borderlining pay-to-win)
    -The flight controls are a bit wonky
    -Not meant to be played solo
    -Literally no tutorial; you are thrust in the midst of a large battle and have no idea what you're doing the very first time you play

World of WarCraft
    Pros
    -Rather than control an army in Azeroth, as in previous WarCraft titles, you take control of a single character and play through the world and lore of Azeroth
    -Addictive
    -A relatively easy learning curve
    -The lore is the real gem of the game
    Cons
    -$15 monthly subscription
    -Some of the more experienced players can be a bit condescending
    -If you don't have a lot of time on your hands, the monthly subscription doesn't feel worth it
    -It sometimes feels like a grinding chore

Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Pros
    -Addictive
    -A relatively easy learning curve
    -A technical continuation of the story from Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
    -Some of the class main stories are incredible (like the Agent)
    -There is a free-to-play option (with some pretty irritating restrictions)
    -It's Star freaking Wars
    Cons
    -The stench of EA's corruption is all over it
    -If you don't get a retail copy, you need to make an Origin account
    -To get the full benefits of the game, you need to pay the $15 monthly subscription
    -It feels like a grinding chore after a while

Blog Entries

I've played several but the only three I actually spent a good chunk of time on were:

1) Trickster Online - played this for five years and spent quite a lot on it back when I was dedicated to the game. No longer will I spend so much on MMOs though, haha. It's very cash-based, especially if you want to PvP. Can't recommend it since it's closing in a week though.

2) La Tale - a cute MMO that resembles Trickster a bit. It's got some beautiful artwork, though I'm waiting until we get season 2 to play again. Not very cash-based and is enjoyable all around so I'd definitely recommend it.

3) Spirit Tales - a super adorable game! <3; Only in the low 30s now, I think. Don't know enough about it yet but from what I've seen so far it's definitely a game I'd ask people to try.
    Dolce likes this.
    New Member's Guide to BMGf
    icon by twilightblade

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

Eden Eternal
    A really fun game with anime-style graphics. Many customization features right from the beginning of the game. Not to mention the alpacas. ;D

Pros
    -Casual, relaxed gameplay
    -Little lag
    -Customization
    -Wide variety of enemies, weapons, places, and species

Cons
    -Rather repetitive and long quests
    -The information they give you on quests isn't always the most helpful

Mörë kvlt thän thöv Kane Dunestorm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kane Dunestorm On Twitter Add Kane Dunestorm on Facebook Add Kane Dunestorm on Google+
    Add Kane Dunestorm on Linkedin Follow Kane Dunestorm on Tumblr Follow Kane Dunestorm on Flickr Visit Kane Dunestorm's Youtube Channel

Star Trek Online
    Pros
    - Its a pretty sandboxy game. I love sandbox MMORPGs, especially considering my first and most favorite one was extremely sandboxy (Star Wars Galaxies; RIP).
    - Fairly easy to level up, not much of a grind as usually the missions will get you more than enough experience to level up, not to mention there's also other content such as events and player generated missions that give experience.
    - Yes, you heard me right: Player generated missions.
    - The Graphics look absolutely amazing, especially on a capable machine like myself. However, not much is needed performance wise to play it at lower settings.
    - Character customization is almost endless, especially with the ability to create a custom alien species. People have done stuff like create Yoda and what not with it.
    - End game is perhaps one of the most extensive out of all the MMORPGs I've played.
    - It possesses minor "spreadsheets online" features like EVE Online does, but its highly watered down so its still fun but still has the realism aspect that it emphasizes.
    - A truly space combat oriented game that doesn't sacrifice anything from ground combat while doing so.
    - PvP is nice and simple arena map style matches, and is actually fun and puts everyone on a relatively equal footing. No PvP gear, goodies or special abilities to complicate anything, just pure slugfest matches a lot like a FPS game, only IN SPACE (there's also ground PvP too).
    - While there is a "cash shop" of sorts, you don't exactly need to spend money to get the items in there. You can merely grind for dilithium, which can be traded in for the currency used in said store.
    - Free to play option available, with a paid option available that gives you a few features (which are available for purchase as a f2p member anyways) and a monthly stipend of cash shop currency, as well as access to veteran rewards.
    Cons
    - While you don't need actual money to get items from the cash shop, grinding for things can be an utter chore.
    - A lot of things are no fun at all unless you have a reliable guild made of a dedicated group of friends.
    - The level cap has remained the same since the game was first made (50).

Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Pros
    - Fairly addictive.
    - Despite the putrid smell of EA on the rest of the game, the actual story aspects and Star Wars Lore remains pure, and absolutely better than most of the stuff produced by LucasFilm lately including the prequels.
    - Fairly easy learning curve, but still has a healthy amount of challenge.
    - Free to play option available, with a paid option available that gives you a few features (which are available for purchase as a f2p member anyways) and a monthly stipend of cash shop currency (though I do not deem it worthwhile to pay for the game at this point, even if I wasn't boycotting EA like I am now).
    Cons
    - Grinding is a real pain, even if you do pay the monthly subscription.
    - If you don't pay the monthly sub, you can say goodbye to being able to have a life and grind a character at the same time.
    - As with any game this big, PvP is a complete waste of time, no matter what server you are on. Then again, I don't generally like PvP in MMORPGs, so I'm a bit biased.
    - LOL EA'S CASH COW LOL.
    - I don't know why I still say I actually play this game, I don't really play it all that often because its not fun anymore.

YouTube | Tumblr | Dunestorm.com
    I play Pokémon Y! My Friend Code is: 4983-5814-6366

追放されたバカ

I play World of Warcraft. I have been playing, since late 2008. I play as a Shadow Priest, Frost Mage and Death Knight. I love this MMO, and will continue to play, until it gets shut down.
    Last edited by Demon Fang; 1st May 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Blog Entries

None, because my mom won't let me spend money like that without her permission.
    DO YOU RENOUNCE ICE CUBE AND ALL HIS WORKS INCLUDING FRIDAY? - Winston Jerome

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Elder Scrolls Online. Unfortunately the BETA ended, so I have to wait till next year for the official and finished game to be released.

So far, I LOVE my Sorceress character, but due to some agreement about the BETA, I'm not allowed to talk about the game very much... but here's some pros and cons anyway about the BETA:

PROS:
    -Extremely detailed character customization
    -Every NPC has a voice actor and facial expressions
    -The skills/spells I've gotten so far have no charging time
    -You can interact with NPC's by saying more than just "yes" or "no"
    -For a BETA, the graphics are amazing
    -You can use any weapon regardless of class

CONS:
    -Due to it being a BETA, there are still several glitches
    -It is nearly impossible to lockpick doors and chests
    -When in third person mode, your character is never in the center of the screen
    Last edited by Bad Apple; 21st July 2013 at 01:52 PM.
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

Lord of the Rings Online

I've spent way too much time in the game and probably used a decent bunch of money. Played it for 2.5 years now and have done a lot of the game. But it falls down as content becomes too easy and mainstream.

Pros:
    Free-to-play with every early game content available (about lvl 30ish) and every major gameplay feature is available. The entire story can be played without paying anything.
    A lot of customization
    Good graphics quality
    Many different classes with completely different gameplay mechanics, making trying out every class worth all the money you have to spend.
    Varied selection of quests and difficulties.
    You can jump straight into PvP when you got a character in lvl 20, without getting there the hard way (i guess that's when you unlock monster play)
    A very dedicated role-playing community, if you're into that.
    It's Lord of the Rings, come on...

Cons:
    Skills got a slight activation delay.
    Graphics engine is outdated and makes the game laggy in populated places, in addition to making it impossible to get 60+ FPS even with a ridiculous expensive PC on the highest graphics quality.
    PvP requires a lvl 85 character if you want to play as a Man/Elf/Dwarf/Hobbit, which requires you to play over 100 hours, probably a lot more if you don't use money on quests.
    PvP is unbalanced and is extremely difficult to start playing, as if you want to have a chance to beat someone in a 1v1, you'd have to play another 40 hours just to get the equipment.
    The developers are steadily destroying the game, implementing features which makes the game easier and makes creating armour sets extremely easy which then goes to that everyone with the best equipment actually got the best equipment, so there's no variation in the rare end-game equipment. (Although, when a new expansion comes, that changes, but with new areas, it goes back to that again.)

So you could try it out for free, which gives you a free path until lvl 20-25 and you get to try out the different features in it. If you're going to play it, buy VIP, as that would save you money, as it gives you everything up to lvl 50. After that you have to buy every expansion from Moria to Rohan, which there are 4 of. You'd still need VIP after buying that. But if you just want to look at the scenery, there are a lot of places you can go to. And the story quests are there, which does follow the actual LOTR books, just in a different perspective.

It's a good game, but try it before it's destroyed under its own weight.

Star Wars the Old Republic

I pre-ordered this game and played it for a few weeks. After that, realized my mistake. I played the beta and my impressions were "OMG, THIS IS THE BEST MMO EVER", as I managed to only get to lvl 15 or so, which is just past the prologue. When it came out, played the same levels again with the same class, still thinking it was the best game ever. Then I hit lvl 20, and man, that was a huge disappointment.
    It's not like the gameplay was bad, but it was so ridiculously repetitive. EVERY SINGLE FIGHT was exactly the same. The amount of enemies you took on at once was exactly the same, all the time. The objectives in most sidequests were exactly the same. You had the bonus quests in the quests, but those were annoying as you didn't know what the next step in that would be. If it would be after the primary quest progresses or before. It was just a horrible game to play solo. Even with two players it was horrible. Seems like playing with 4 was required all the time. But when i tried PvP, then it became sort of good again as that's probably the only time I've actually been useful in PvP in any MMO. Also the fully animated and voiced cutscenes are awesome, until a while, when you realize "blablabla, i just want to accept the quest" like every other MMO is. So I'm going to do it like this.

Pros AND cons (yes, all these are both pros and cons):
    Extensive character customization, until you realize that your face still looks exactly the same as all the other 15 toons you made, even with different races, as you have to look at it in every cutscene.
    Balanced difficulty and amount of enemies, until you realize that it's balanced all the time.
    Quests with automatic sidequests in them, until you start to get annoyed that you have to go all the way back to do one step you missed then do another difficult step which you technically did.
    Quests with cutscenes, until you realize this is actually an MMO and not Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Pros:
    Free-to-play, and every quest seems to be available without paying.
    Good variation in classes and the "advanced classes"
    Extremely fun and simple PvP gameplay.
    Companions that aid you in combat and in crafting items. You can send off multiple of your companions to do missions to gather crafting items, craft items and to sell your trash, all of that even during raids.
    "Karma" system which would change the outcome of a quest, and you also get points in what side you choose, dark or light to unlock items.
    Space combat missions.

Cons:
    After it went F2P, everything is ridiculously expensive even when paying monthly.
    You have to use a skill between every battle to regain health, forgetting to do that and you'll have a bad time.T
    There's absolutely no health-regen at all in combat.

Note how there aren't that many cons i can think of, but notice the pros/cons, those are vital elements to the game, the primary gameplay mechanics to every single MMO. It's a great game, but it's destroyed under its own weight, again. But it had probably the best 3 weeks of playing an MMORPG, but there's nothing interesting in the end-game apparently. But it's definitely a game I'd recommend to play, as it's extremely addictive and fun during the prologue. You'll be able to get a decent amount of hours into the game before it eventually crumbles up a bit later.

Im building up on posts:3 mewing mewie mew's Avatar

Visit mewing mewie mew's Youtube Channel

I play roblox and toontown :3
    Toontown has pokemon clans, So yeah....
    Roblox has pokemon games....
    “The important thing is not how long you live... It's what you accomplish with your life.
    While I live, I want to shine. I want to prove that I exist. If I could do something really important... That would definitely carry on into the future.”
    ~Grovyle

Though the parting hurts, The rest is in your hands. ~Grovyle

I love mystery dungeon

I don't use stats because they are so confusing and I just don't get them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast