What gaming company do you like better: Rare or Retro Studios?

Thread: What gaming company do you like better: Rare or Retro Studios?

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Default What gaming company do you like better: Rare or Retro Studios?

Rare

The company known for games like Donkey Kong Country, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Goldeneye 007. Was sold to Microsoft in 2002 leaving many games like Banjo-Threeie and Donkey Kong Racing unfinished. Also known for Viva Pinata and Kinect Sports on XBOX 360 and Kinect.

Retro Studios

Another company known for Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Mario Kart 7. Also used to work on a unfinished game called Raven Blade but got moved to Metroid Prime. May work on a Legend of Zelda game. Also not sold to Microsoft.....yet.

Favorite company, in terms of games?

Ehh...mine...maybe Retro.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Default Re: What gaming company do you like better: Rare or Retro Studios?

I never heard of Retro Studios until just now, and I didn't especially like any of those specific games.
    I've liked Rare for the Banjo Kazooie series (except the XBox one... never played it but I hear it wasn't any good anyway), Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, and Goldeneye. I never played Conker's Bad Fur Day... I've heard mixed things about it (some good, some bad). I heard that it was originally going to be an action-adventure game like Banjo Kazooie but they changed it for some reason, and I think that that game was part of the reason Nintendo got rid of them.
    Overall, I like Rare. A lot of my favourite N64 games were Rare.
    Also, I blame Rare being sold to Microsoft for the fact that there hasn't been a good Donkey Kong game since DK64.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Gotta go with Retro Studios. Metroid Prime was the bomb, DKCR brought back what made the original great, and Mario Kart 7 was the best installment I've ever played since Mario Kart DS.

What's this? Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Close call, but I'll go with Retro Studios.

Rare have really lost their way since the Super NES and N64 days, but even back then, I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with their games. The Donkey Kong Country series, Blast Corps, Perfect Dark and the like were all amazing, but good God, could they get frustrating. I have lots of fond memories playing their games, but lots of unpleasant ones, too. Don't even get me started on the Bike stages from the Battletoads games.

Retro Studios, on the other hand, have been consistently good since day one - I loved Metroid Prime 1 & 3, (I didn't enjoy the second game that much, but that might have been my own fault for finding hardly any Energy Tanks) and Donkey Kong Country Returns is my favourite platformer on the Wii after the Super Mario Galaxy games. Long may their quality output continue.

Who is this git?

The benevolant creator ArceusAlpha493's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would have to go with Retro Studios. Rare has not been doing good lately since the N64 days. The last good Rare game that I played was Starfox Adventures. I feel that even if Rare was not sold to Microsoft, Rare would still not do good as most of the original staff left. Retro Studios redeemed the Donkey Kong series for me and I loved Donkey Kong Returns. Me and my friend who lives at my hometown in Statesboro, Georgia would play that gane together alot. He is at college in Virginia but we keep in touch. Mario Kart 7 was enjoyable too. Well I like about every Mario game that came out just like with Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Starfox, and more.
    I have posted a Pokemon/Zelda crossover. If you are a fan of both series, please check it out and review. :)

It will also be a crossover with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Land before Time

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/pokemon-legend-zelda-twilight-princess-pokemon-zelda-crossover-124285/

One thing I liked about video games back in the N64 days (especially with Rare) was the cheat codes. Not many games have cheat codes any more.

Blog Entries

Rare was pretty good in the N64 days, their games were masterpieces, loved Banjo & Kazooie, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, but I have to go with Retro for picking up where Rare left off and keeping it good.
    [[[[[<>>>>=====+++++~~~~~Wave~~~~~+++++=====<<<<>]]]]]

|||||!!!!!////---+++===Weekly Song===+++---\\\\!!!!!|||||

Blog Entries

Visit VirtualAnomaly's Youtube Channel

Rare, up until Microsoft bought them out. Since then, it's been Retro for awhile.

Glad someone posted this :D