Video Game Series that you gave up on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Series that you gave up on

Blog Entries

Default Video Game Series that you gave up on

Were there any video game series that you used to be a fan of but lost interest in somewhere along the way? If so at what point did you drop off from playing the series and why?

The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Video Game Series that you gave up on

For me it would be the *shudder* Skylanders series (played the first two (barely,) gave up when I saw Swap Force) because it's way too costly, the Crash series because, while they are great games, the second and third being some of my all-time favourites, The Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity were too hard for my younger self and the Ratchet series because A: the first two were too challenging for me, B: I personally find the storyline confusing and C: I don't own a PS3, or PSP.
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 2nd June 2014 at 01:15 AM.
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fire Elite Four member and Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami), Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Monado (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Celestial Brush (Okami), the Stealth Claws (Kid Icarus: Uprising) and the songs Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye)-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and Rising Sun (aka. The Sun Rises)-Okami.

So far? None. All franchises I liked as a kid, I still like. The one I am almost giving up, surprisingly, is the Pokémon series, because of quite a few reasons.

Final Fantasy. I still play the old games but beggining with 10 it turned into shit with poorly written stories, characters and starting with 13 crap gameplay and extreme linearity.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I gave up on the Mario series completely because almost all the main series games after the first Super Mario Galaxy were just rehashes of each other, starting with NSMB Wii, then SMG2, and so forth. This is probably due to some controversial statements made by Shigeru Miyamoto after the release of SMG1 that a Mario game should not have a story and should instead rely more on the gameplay. This lead to every game having the same plot (Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario saves her) in an even more repetitive fashion than the main series Pokemon games, and I didn't want to pay for what is essentially the same game over and over again. At least Pokemon tries to make something new out of it's formula, while Mario doesn't do that like it did prior to Miyamoto's controversial statements.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Sonic.

I used to play the games and was a huge fan of them pre-2006. After 2006, I just completely gave up on the series as a whole. Then again, 2006 was a pretty bad year for Sonic. Sega really needs to hire better programmers and set better deadlines before I ever consider playing their Sonic games again, as I still read about newer games having control issues. If I am going to play a game where speed and fast reflexes are key, I want good controls. In Sega's defense, the stories look good (I like the concept of Sonic Generations and the recent Lost World game), but I also want to be able to play a game without cheap glitches or bad controls ruining the fun. The Sonic games have good stories, but controls are what really prevent me from going back to playing these games. If any future Sonic title happens to fix the control issues, I'll go back and give these games another shot. For now, the new Sonic games are currently not on my list of most wanted games.

Under partial construction. Collecting what I like.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tend not to do this as much, but nowadays I'm starting to lose interest in gaming as a whole because most video games series keep rehashing nowadays (I think the industry as a whole is running out of ideas now). Anyway, here's my list:

-NSMB: The first game was a wonderful revival of the Classic Mario gameplay. But like @Robo-Floatzel; said, every game since then has brought pretty much nothing new to the table, it's just the same gameplay with different but similar looking levels. I couldn't finish Wii because I got bored halfway through, and I'm not even touching 2 or U.
    -Donkey Kong Country: I liked the Classic trilogy when I was younger and would play just about any platformer on Earth. And I went back and played it recently, and for some reason, I still like the Classics. But the newer ones I don't really like, Returns is all right, but it feels stripped down in a few ways, and I can't bring myself to finish. And Tropical Freeze is yet another rehash which only brought back a few Classic gameplay elements (but is still missing a few things like animal buddies besides Rambi and the ability to play as other characters solo) and again offered nothing new.
    -Mario Kart: I actually went full circle with this one. I started with Double Dash and loved it, but when I got to Wii, they started messing with the gameplay to the point where the game became too focused on handicapping skilled racers and became too luck and item based. But then 7 and 8 have essentially reversed this direction, so now I've come back to the series.

I can honestly see myself giving up on Pokemon and the rest of Mario though, if things continue the way they are.

"I'm really feeling it!" Chibster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Chibster on Tumblr Visit Chibster's Youtube Channel

I think I'm losing/lost interest in the Kirby series. I've loved the past games(my favorites would have to be Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby's Adventure, Nightmare in Dreamland, Air Ride, and Super Star) but the newer Kirby games are boring; I didn't even think Epic Yarn was that fun.
    Last edited by Chibster; 1st September 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    It's me, kyogre545! 3DS FC: 1864-8930-3851
    Claims: Gin (GNG), Inuyasha, Edward Elric, Vash the Stampede, Makoto Tachibana, Kyogre, Drizzle, Blue Apricorn, Squirtle Doll,, Micaiah, Crimson Loftwing, Smiles and Tears, Peaceful Days
    FS: Metang Klefki Ferroseed
    Join my clubs! ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH, Swanna Fan Club, Sweets+Sugary things, W is for Wumbology, the Study of Wumbo!

Um ... "all of them"?

Pokemon (between Emerald and HGSS)

Spyro (after the initial 3)

Final Fantasy (after 6)

The list goes on, I'm sure, but those are about the only ones I can think of immediately.
    Game: "Would you like to give a nickname to the newly hatched [Pokémon]?"
    Trevor: "You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    XY Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210 (feel free to add me before asking, it saves time)

Blog Entries

Super Mario series. Mainly because Peach is an idiotic bitch for being kidnapped so many times and not manning/wising-up in the process and not using her moves to pwn Bower like she does in Smash Brothers, Luigi is a coward, and Mario's an attention whore. And they haven't changed a bloody thing.

The only two recent games that did not have this migrane-inducing character settings are the Galaxy games. (Seriously, why is Peach even in Smash Brothers?)
    Last edited by henrymidfields; 11th June 2014 at 05:49 AM.

I'm feeling like giving up on The Sims series. It's a great series that I found was tailored pretty well toward somebody like me. However, EA has ruined the series with their greed, and The Sims 4 does not look compelling at all. It's so funny that even EA doesn't seem to care about the game, as it's supposed to come out before the end of the year, but we've went an entire year with practically no information whatsoever.

Also, I think Animal Crossing's appeal has worn off. I find this very sad, because I ADORED the game so much on the GCN that I cried when my town corrupted. xD When City Folk was released I lost a lot of faith in the series, because not only was it a rehash of Wild World, it was so poorly done that I didn't play it for even a month. However, what really makes me think the appeal is gone is New Leaf. The game is amazing, the sequel I was really looking for in the series, and the only AC game I can say is logically better than the GCN version. However, in the end, I didn't play it much longer than City Folk.

So that's that, no matter whether they make a bad AC game or an amazing AC game, it keeps me playing the same amount of time. The appeal is gone. =(
    ~~

Follow Twisted Roselia on Tumblr Visit Twisted Roselia's Youtube Channel

Professor Layton. I absolutely loved the first three games when I played them, but after that I didn't bother playing any of the newer ones for ages. Then my friend let me borrow the fourth one, and I honestly couldn't finish it. It felt nowhere near as fun as I remembered PL games being, and the puzzles mostly felt recycled or really weird and random. Plus, the characters had started bugging me a bit... Professor Layton himself just seemed too perfect and clever to be likable, and Luke was kind of annoying too. I can definitely understand why so many people love PL so much, but it's really not my thing :/

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I remember I used to buy all of the Megaman and Megaman X games when I was a kid. I loved those games and the characters as well as the plots (though some levels were just plain annoying) but I ended up giving up after Megaman 8 and X6. I just felt like the story was being stretched out too much in the original's case and in X's case I felt like 6 was a good point for my journey into X's and Zero's lives to end.

The other case was also Megaman related, after I gave up on the original and X I started collecting the Battle Network games because they were just awesome in my opinion, this carried on to Starforce too. I ended up dropping the series at Starforce 2 though, I actually did want to keep going but after 3 came out and I read how the story was and such I felt like from a story stand point the series could've been ended in 2.

"I'm really feeling it!" Chibster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Chibster on Tumblr Visit Chibster's Youtube Channel

I'd also like to add that I think I've lost interest in The Legend of Zelda series. Heck, I haven't even finished any of my TLOZ games; they are either half-way through, more than half-way, or still towards the beginning. Maybe there will be a time when I'll want to finish them, but I guess it's not now.
    It's me, kyogre545! 3DS FC: 1864-8930-3851
    Claims: Gin (GNG), Inuyasha, Edward Elric, Vash the Stampede, Makoto Tachibana, Kyogre, Drizzle, Blue Apricorn, Squirtle Doll,, Micaiah, Crimson Loftwing, Smiles and Tears, Peaceful Days
    FS: Metang Klefki Ferroseed
    Join my clubs! ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH, Swanna Fan Club, Sweets+Sugary things, W is for Wumbology, the Study of Wumbo!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quite a few, actually.

I gave up on Crash Bandicoot after I got the DS game for Crash: Mind over Mutant. That game was so ugly and it basically got rid of every character except for Crash, Cortex, and the masks. I didn't like Aku Aku and Uka Uka's redesigns. Crash's crying upon his death was beyond annoying, and the bonus rounds were frustratingly hard instead of fun. Crash Twinsanity had a good concept, but it would have been more fun if it had an optional two-player like The Simpsons Game (which was excellent except for the Lard Lad level and the DDR against God being too hard).

I started to dislike Spyro once The Legend of Spyro came around. I didn't like how they rebooted it and set it in another universe (plus they made it much darker), but at least the Legend of Spyro had an interesting concept (that would have worked better with different characters). Skylanders, on the other hand, is mass marketed tripe full of ugly characters and annoying advertising (the figurines are EVERYWHERE). Once Skylanders came around, Spyro was dead to me.

The biggest loss for me was Tomb Raider. I was a Tomb Raider fan since I was twelve, but last year's reboot was very off-putting to me, because it was gorier than the previous games (and rated M to boot) and Lara didn't seem as badass as before. It felt more like Resident Evil than Tomb Raider. I'm still mad about what they did to Lara and I really miss the old, pre-Square Enix Lara.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast