Third Party Developers moving from PlayStation Vita to 3DS?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghetsis-Dennis

Thread: Third Party Developers moving from PlayStation Vita to 3DS?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Third Party Developers moving from PlayStation Vita to 3DS?

Source.

Respected Japanese newspaper Nikkei has posted an opinion piece that states that a third party software developer who had been working on titles for Sony's PlayStation Vita handheld has since cancelled those projects and are instead turning to the Nintendo 3DS. Sony are being quick in denying statements that this is related to multiple companies.

While the Nintendo 3DS' original launch in Late-February (Japan) and Late-March (US/Europe/Oceania) was a serious concern for the company (so much so that they had to launch a global price cut of roughly £100 to encourage sales), the Japanese launch sales for the PlayStation Vita last December were even less in number; with a huge drop in sales after the first week. The PlayStation Vita is due to launch in America and Europe next Wednesday, so analysts are keeping their eyes on whether or not the western sales for the 3DS' rival will be any better.

EDIT: In regards to the original article, the Japanese language has no differentiation between singular and plurals, so translators often get things mixed up. Currently, it is said that one developer has moved from the Vita to the 3DS. However, could this be the start of a slippery slope? Who knows.
    Obviously the Vita is still going to have some developers, but if true, this report certainly is interesting.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 16th February 2012 at 09:31 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Third Party Developers moving from PlayStation Vita to 3DS?

Here's my explanation on why the 3DS and the Vita seem to be going on a slow start. Either console games are dominating the market or U.S. games are dominating the market (since Nintendo and Sony are Japanese companies), which would show that Infuane could be right about Japan being dead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Here's my explanation on why the 3DS and the Vita seem to be going on a slow start. Either console games are dominating the market or U.S. games are dominating the market (since Nintendo and Sony are Japanese companies), which would show that Infuane could be right about Japan being dead.
    Except that if you look at the market share, Nintendo's Wii has always done really well worldwide and since the 3DS' price drop in August, it became the highest selling console worldwide in 2011.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Probably has more to do with the handheld gaming market being killed by the smartphone game apps.

That being said, the U.S. based gaming companies like Bethesda and VALVe are the ones churning out bestsellers. Nintendo still has plenty of sway with American gamers, however, if the sales for Skyward Sword are any indication.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eredar Warlock View Post
    Probably has more to do with the handheld gaming market being killed by the smartphone game apps.
    Kinda because Nintendo found smartphone game apps as "meh" because they're easily ported to other systems, which Nintendo avoids because they try their best to create titles that you couldn't normally emulate on another system.
    Kessel likes this.

Blog Entries

The point is more that Nintendo want to remain in the Video Game market and only the Video Game market. They don't want to expand into smartphones etc.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That's not what I mean.

Smartphone games are all over the market, so there isn't much appetite for throwing 150-200 bucks for mobile gaming when they can download a $5 app.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eredar Warlock View Post
    That's not what I mean.

Smartphone games are all over the market, so there isn't much appetite for throwing 150-200 bucks for mobile gaming when they can download a $5 app.
    Not everyone has a smartphone. I don't and even if I did, I doubt I'd use it for downloading games. But that's just me.

If this is true, it could be bad news for Sony. Or maybe it's just a blip on the radar. We'll see.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

I've a smartphone. I rarely play games on it; furthermore, I doubt I ever will. I am, however, a fairly avid (console/handheld) gamer. I think Nintendo has a lot of sway in the handheld gaming market (think of how long the Game Boy and DS has dominated the handheld market), which was what prompted that report.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Remember back in the 90's when third party developers moved from the Nintendo 64 to the Playstation? This is basically the handheld equivalent of that, because I mean really, the Vita is just a PSP with a new coat of paint added to it and a few additional features, the 3DS is more powerful that the PSP, and it has 3D capabilities, which don't even require glasses, among other things.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Now that developers and distributors are finished porting their console games to the Vita, they probably don't know what else to do.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt it's a giant jump, it's only one developer. Remember, the vita is early in it's lifespan, and the PSP ended up selling well over time.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.