Sonic Generations Discussion - Page 12

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sonic Generations Discussion

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sonic Generations Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    The reason Sonic games get bad scores is because Sega decided to milk the series and make bad game after bad game. They tried to rush 06 so it would be near the christmas season, and utterly failed, and then we had Unleashed and 4 right after that.
    You think the 90s trend had something to do with his popularity? Usually, cool characters fade away from the media unlike square/timeless characters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    They tried to rush 06 so it would be near the christmas season
    Under Microsoft's orders. They pressured Sonic Team to have it out by the winter season, and the end result is what they got. And to prevent any sign of console bias, the PS3 version was released within the same time frame.

Unleashed
    A game that was believed by many to be a good start for a revival, but marred by the other half of the game.

and 4 right after that.
    Considered a good platformer, just not a platformer befitting the Sonic Genesis titles moniker.

Also, Game Informer is owned by GameStop, who had Generations ads in store. You know your game is bad when even the store selling it doesn't like it.
    Disregarding the fact that Game Informer's review is complete bumpkis, a branch of a corporation does not necessarily represent the corporation as a whole.

SEGA paid to have their game advertised, and Gamestop followed through on the contract.

As for me, I might only rent it/Steam Sale it, it's only gotten average scores
    As I mentioned earlier, putting review scores on the same pedestal as your own personal perspective is doing a disservice on your own ability to analyze games on your own terms.

Besides which, what do you think falls under "average?" The game has received only one score below a 5, from GameReactor Norway, the 6.75 score from Game Informer's "review," and a plethora of 7s, 8s, 8.5s, and even a 9.5 from PALGN, which all indicate, removing the outliers, a score around the 81% mark. Seems like a great game based on the review scale.
    Tophat Dragoneye likes this.

100% Moustache Free! Mr. Moustache's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got home from buying a copy a few hours ago; let's just say my mind has been blown.

Welcome back, Sonic. More importantly, welcome home.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    Besides which, what do you think falls under "average?" The game has received only one score below a 5, from GameReactor Norway, the 6.75 score from Game Informer's "review," and a plethora of 7s, 8s, 8.5s, and even a 9.5 from PALGN, which all indicate, removing the outliers, a score around the 81% mark. Seems like a great game based on the review scale.
    Out of curiosity, I checked the Game Informer's review of Sonic Generations when I saw your comment. Didn't expect to see such a short review compared to others I've seen, though. And such a negative one as well. In my opinion, the "review" was too short to be a prober review and it didn't go into alot of details as well. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I've already preordered for its release in Europe on Friday and I can honestly not wait.

100% Moustache Free! Mr. Moustache's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
    Out of curiosity, I checked the Game Informer's review of Sonic Generations when I saw your comment. Didn't expect to see such a short review compared to others I've seen, though. And such a negative one as well. In my opinion, the "review" was too short to be a prober review and it didn't go into alot of details as well. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I've already preordered for its release in Europe on Friday and I can honestly not wait.
    Watch GameTrailers review of it, because it's a much better, more informed review. regardless, you'll be happy with your purchase, I'm sure. :)
    ◄ This space is dedicated to Blazaking EX, who created my avatar. Please, visit his shop! ►

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moustache View Post
    Watch GameTrailers review of it, because it's a much better, more informed review. regardless, you'll be happy with your purchase, I'm sure. :)
    Hehe, already did earlier today :) And I agree, it's far more informed.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Also keep in mind they also gave Metroid: Other M, a severely underrated game, a low score, so Game Informer may as well be not too reliable.

Sonic Generations looks frickin' awesome! I mean, City Escape is back. I also love how they brought back Sky Sanctuary.

Blog Entries

It's not the fact that it was so negative that irks me; I've approved of negative reviews in the past, or at least agree on some points, including reviews from Metroid Other M and Sonic Colors. Had this review from GameInformer been coherent on the negative points to a level that I can understand and agree with, I would have no qualms here.

But the review was poorly made, didn't elaborate on the negative points they saw, and made superficial and petty comments, and even some outright inconsistent comments, that they said brought the score down, which is just really unprofessional. I can't see how the bottomless pitfalls in the game are "poorly communicated" when there are huge pulsating orange warning signs to show you where they are at. How did the classic levels "rekindle the magic?" How are the modern levels a concern? Why is the fact that levels from the Modern era are in this game a bad thing? ELABORATE.

But w/e, I'm not looking to GameInformer's reviews again, not after I found out they admitted in a prior magazine issue of theirs that they make reviews and give certain scores based on what they think their fanbase wants to see, instead of basing it on their experience on the game. They gave Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door a 6 because it was "too kiddy," so that could speak volumes.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

^ I believe that review and how they rank it based on the tastes of the fanbase in general is suppose to show us as a reminder of how bad the Sonic fanbase has gotten over the years through countless generation wars between the old-school fans (Genesis-Dreamcast) and the modern fans, and it has shown how much Sonic has influenced their childhood in the 90s and how dangerous nostalgia filter can be for the human mind.

Blog Entries

Whatever the motives, the fact that they do so is in direct violation of the objectives a professional game reviewer is supposed to accomplish. Their reviews are their words, not the fanbase's, and they should be able to say what they think is a good game and what is not, and not let the fanbase's general opinion on the genre, franchise, or whatever dictate the score.

Whatever the situation, it's refreshing to see people climbing out of the woodwork in defense of the game whenever a "bad" review shows up. Gamefaqs forums is defending the game. Neogaf is defending the game. Whatever negative happenstances that occur are isolated incidents that have to fight against the rest who are approving of the game. The public really likes this game.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Wait, Gamefaqs? As in the place where flame wars regarding current games are a common on a everyday basis? Something's really wrong in the game community alright.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

About the PC version, I just got it and it's so easy. I'm already at City Escape. It's pretty boring as well, and was a bad port. All the control settings do is map keys to a gamepad like an emulator, and there are no key icons, just generic xinput/360 controller icons.

Not to mention, the controls are mapped to weird places, and the config app looked like a basic app quickly thrown together in Visual Basic....it even has the same default VB icon!
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

I got this on day 1 and I love it. I have over 50% of the achievements/trophies so far. I like replaying the stages and finding alternate paths. Replayability is stuffed to the max in this game. Level design is immense, perhaps more than Colors. Boss battles, framerate, and story are weak in Generations, though. Final boss is receiving major criticism but I'm feeling way better after figuring out the controls.

P.S. Gligar13, I checked out your video review of the demo. Hold the button down to boost properly, lol. Also, Crisis City and Planet Wisp are brutal. PW alone took me 8 minutes on my first try. XD

P.S.S. Sega is hosting a contest about doing a speedrun through Modern Green Hill in the demo, so don't delete it yet. Read the rules, get a time of 1:50 or under on youtube and have a chance to win a rare collector's item. I can't get under 2 minutes, lmao.

I love Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, anddd Seaside Hill. :3c
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightBlade View Post
    Boss battles, framerate, and story are weak in Generations, though.
    It's a platformer game, the story doesn't matter (Mario and Mega Man have lackluster story yet they're doing fine). I wonder if this means the bosses are easy to beat thus saving me some time using the computer after completing it.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast