Sonic Boom

Thread: Sonic Boom

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Sonic Boom

Today, Sega officially announced the tv-series, Sonic Boom, but also revealed a new game for the tv-series as well exclusively for Wii U and 3DS that acts as a prequel for the show.

TV-series trailer:

Video game reveal trailer: Link (Sorry, but I can't post two videos on the same post for some reason)

So far, it's looks rather promising to me, as it gives the franchise some new life, while still holding true to it. Keep in mind that they stated that it won't replace the original franchise.

The Wii U version will be developed by Big Red Button Entertainment, who is comprised of former Naughty Dog developer, while the 3DS version is being developed by Sanzaru Games, who worked on Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Default Re: Sonic Boom

Here's some more information/pictures.

I for one thing it looks incredibly fun. Sonic wasn't made for open-world, but Sonic Heroes was one of my favorite games from the series and that worked fine, imo. It wasn't completely open world, but it was the closest the franchise has come to it, I think, besides Sonic the Hedgehog. My only qualms so far are Knuckles' and Sonic's designs. The oversized chest and legs, respectively, aren't working. Knuckles needs to skip the gym and lay off the protein shakes for awhile. :|

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This game has Naughty Dog written all over it, you can tell based on the character design, the level design, and the setting. Not sure it really fits Sonic (I know Knuckles' design certainly doesn't), but I'll give it a chance. I'm guessing the level design will be somewhat like Jak and Daxter, with hub worlds and open world levels branching off of them. It'd be interesting to see for sure.

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

I don't mind the designs in the official art and TV promo. But the in-game models (Sonic) are ugly. But the game its self looks promising, so I'm excited. And any 3rd party game that's Nintendo exclusive is helping.

Blog Entries

Well, it does say game footage not final. It'll probably be fixed up like X/Y.

I had a feeling from the minute I saw those silhouettes of the characters that this was probably going to end up looking like another one of those ugly "modernizations" of a popular franchise (like the stupid beefed-up Knuckles silhouette could really hide that), and unfortunately that's kind of how I feel about this. Not just with Knuckles, but the unnecessary need to put white tape all over the characters. The gameplay style on the other hand and the return of playing as Sonic's friends is more than welcome, but I just think it should have been done in the main series with the same kind of colorful setting as games like Colors and Lost World, without creating some alternate series no one asked for. As for the show, I'm probably still going to prefer all the previous Sonic cartoons. This one just doesn't appeal to me.
    Last edited by Nick102; 23rd February 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Knock 'em Out Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Look what I stumbled upon, an interview with some guy who's working on the upcoming Sonic Boom game.

Looks like in game we'll be getting a currency system, upgrades for the characters themselves (possibly similar to sab2?), apparently there will be no chaos emeralds, and in all this game is said to be very character driven. And apparently older characters from the series will be making and appearance, and as a fan girl I really want to see Rouge myself.

But overall, it still sounds like the game has potential. But thoughts?

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Trade ShopArt Gallery

Don't you worry, child... Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Sonic Boooom, Sonic BOOOOM, Sonic BOOO-ooom~

Lots of Sonic Boom gameplay info came out today! The Wii U version is called Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, while the 3DS version is called Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. According to GameXplain, the 3DS version will most likely be out some time in November (at ~3:39 mark in this video), while the Wii U version is still TBD. Based on the press release, the Wii U version will be pretty different from previous Sonic games, with more action-adventure, exploration, and fighting elements in this game compared to other Sonic games. The 3DS version, meanwhile, has more of a platforming and puzzle feel, and will probably be more familiar to people who have played previous Sonic games. Both versions focus on the team working together to stop Lyric from succeeding with his evil plans, it's just that each version does so from a different (but continuous) perspective.

But that's the basic gist of the new info; you can find out more here, here, and here. There are also some screenshots for the Wii U version and the 3DS version.

I have been disappointed by Sonic games enough times to know that I should keep my hype levels in check. Also I'm not completely impressed with the screenshots of the game, to be the honest. But these titles still look promising, so I'll be keep an eye out for them at E3 and in the future. What do you all think?
    ... See heaven's got a plan for you~
    3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204
    3DS/Pokémon X Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    (Message me if you add my code and would like me to add you back!)
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt
    Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I saw the video footage and wasn't too impressed by the 3ds version, which is unfortunately the only one I'll be able to get. I mean, the environments look okay and the characters look like they could be fun, but I don't understand why it seems to mainly be 2D side scrolling. I would have hoped a 3ds game would be more 3D. I also don't like how you don't play as Amy in this version, though, I guess I could be open to playing as Sticks depending on what she does gameplay wise.

The Wii U version looked more appealing to me by actually focusing on more 3d elements than 2d, which was to be expected. I also like how the characters interact with each other by talking within the levels. However, the video did show that the game seems to be very slow which is rather surprising. The person in the video even said the game was very slow except for the speed running sections. But like I said, it doesn't matter much to me since I won't be able to play it anyway.

I really hope we get more Shattered Crystal footage so I can get a better feel of the game. I hope I'll start to like it more, but currently I'm rather worried.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, I'm not very impressed. The Wii U version looks all right I guess, but not very Sonicy. There's too much combat and not enough speed. And I don't really like how the 3DS version looks really slow and floaty.

The game dissapoints me. I'd rather they had improved upon the gameplay of Lost Worlds because Lost Worlds actually felt like a platformer as opposed to constantly running forward. Well, let's give the new game a chance though, aye?

From what little gameplay have seen I just don't like it. Normally I wouldn't pass up a Sonic game as long as I had a console that could run said game, but this... It just looks off. I don't really know why I don't like it; it could be the new looks of the characters (ESPECIALLY in Knuckles' case) or it couls be the fact that what little gameplay I've seen looks bland to me for some reason, or maybe it's something else, but, as much as I want to, I just don't like it (and that's coming from someone who liked Riders and The Black Knight (well, more not hating the latter, but close enough.))
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 29th June 2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Bulbagarden Battle leauge Fire Elite Four member and Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims:Zorua, Naght daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami,) Shantae and the songs Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye)-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and Rising Sun (aka. The Sun Rises)-Okami.

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I'll give both versions a pre-order.