SNES Plays Audio, But Not Video

Thread: SNES Plays Audio, But Not Video

Default SNES Plays Audio, But Not Video

Soooo, I know it may seem a tad weird to post a problem with a 20-year-old console, but I recently got it back from my brother, and it was working fine up until today.

I have my SNES hooked up via A/V (yellow, white, and red input/output cables) to a non-HD, non-flat television and up until this point it has worked flawlessly. Today, I tired to play some Donkey Kong Country 3 only to be greeted with the opening theme, but no opening video. Just a blank, black screen all the way through. I tried multiple games, and sure enough, it wasn't a problem with the cartridge. I then tried it on another TV, and saw that while the video does not display any better, that the screen does change from its default hue into the blank, black color as in the other TV.

Thinking it was a problem with the cables, I tried another set of (all Nintendo-made) A/V cables and the results were the same. I then tried multiple consoles with the same cables, and every other console worked like brand new with all the cables I owned. I finally brought out the old RF cables which I haven't used for about ten years and found that one of the RF cables I have does nothing but thicken the static (on the alternate TV, which is not connected to cable) whilst another RF cable brings up the same problem with the A/V cables. Audio, but nothing but a black screen.

So after cursing and physical brutality failed to yield results, I resorted to pleading and threatening to cry to no avail, and while I was considering eating a whole tub of chocolate ice cream right in front of its face to make it feel sorry for me, I suddenly remember I preferred mint chocolate chip, and having just run out of it, I was finally completely out of ideas and decided to do some research of my own. Unfortunately, every message board thread and every HTML page and every PDF of the Super Nintendo instruction manual that I already have all left the problem addressed, but completely unresolved... that is, when the problem wasn't the opposite of my own problem.

So yeah, I have no idea what to do, so if anyone can provide any assistance or advice or suggestions for delicious comfort food on how to remedy this situation, I'd be VERY appreciative. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: SNES Plays Audio, But Not Video

Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll need to replace the system or dissect it. I've had a similar problem with my old snes in which the graphics for each game were presented as a primordial soup of pixels coupled with satanic audio; it goes without saying that I had to replace it.

Firstly, what model are you using?
    What is the console's region?
    When was the last time it was used?
    What kind of conditions has it been stored in lately?
    Are there any external imperfections on the system itself? Pay particular attention to the condition of the cart slot.
    What games are you testing on it and what condition are these games in?
    Last of all, make absolutely sure that the coaxial cables are securely plugged into the correct input jack that corresponds with their color.

Depending on your answers, you'll PROBABLY either have to perform surgery on the system or get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by glow View Post
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll need to replace the system or dissect it. I've had a similar problem with my old snes in which the graphics for each game were presented as a primordial soup of pixels coupled with satanic audio; it goes without saying that I had to replace it.
    My dad says he can probably operate on it, but I don't know. Unfortunately I lack the money for a new system, so I hope that isn't the case.

Firstly, what model are you using?
    What is the console's region?
    When was the last time it was used?
    What kind of conditions has it been stored in lately?
    Are there any external imperfections on the system itself? Pay particular attention to the condition of the cart slot.
    What games are you testing on it and what condition are these games in?
    Last of all, make absolutely sure that the coaxial cables are securely plugged into the correct input jack that corresponds with their color.
    Model: The larger, boxy one.
    Region: The one that involves the US.
    Last Used: Just yesterday, or the day before the video just randomly went out.
    Storing Conditions: It was in a box in my brother's room. The fact that it was at one point in a room filled with tobacco probably didn't help, but I don't see that as being the cause.
    Visible Imperfections: It looks like brand new aside from a bit of discoloration where the controller ports should be.
    Cables: I checked to make sure they were all hooked tightly and in the appropriately colored spot, but regardless, it still failed to work, even with RF cables, which would display neither audio or video if it were hooked up improperly.

Depending on your answers, you'll PROBABLY either have to perform surgery on the system or get a new one.
    I don't suppose you have any advice regarding the former option?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like an A/V jack issue, I had a similar issue with a genesis 2, I just got a new console.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

So now I'm having problems with audio. So maybe... maybe it's time for old SNESy to... to go the way of Old Yeller :'(

I'll run a few more tests to make sure that the audio not working isn't a result of my own incompetence before I have to... take her to the great used video game retailer in the sky... where she'll be happy... and she'll meet lots of other video game systems of her kind and she'll frolic along the crystalline streets and she'll forever be in the comfort and shelter of the lord your Giant Floating Mario Head and... OH I JUST CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!! *starts crying with the majesty of a firetruck siren*

Blog Entries

Ok, so you have an NTSC model 1 snes. Since it wasn't stored in terrible conditions and has no visible damage, I'm afraid to say that the most likely cause for the lack of video/audio is simply age. The fact that it's a model 1 (the oldest) adds more credence to the likelihood that old age is the issue.

One common problem that I stumbled upon while googling how to repair my snes ~4-ish years ago was a blown fuse. If you want to try this, you'll need to open up the system.

That's pretty much all I can tell you. If you do decide to buy another one, I recommend the snes mini. I've been using one for the past few years with no problems at all.

I'm back with some good news and some bad news.

Good news. SNESy's working again. I don't know what was causing it before, but now I have visual and audio working perfectly. Perhaps the A/V cables were just dirty? I don't know. It just randomly decided "Hey, I'm gonna work again!"

Bad news. The problem still persists on DKC3. So... somehow that means it's the game cartridge, but then how was it that none of the other games worked and...

God, my head hurts now.

Pokemon Coordinator Dawn~Berlitz's Avatar

Otika check the Donkey Kong cartridge there may be some corrosion or some dirt or dust that might need to be cleaned off with some special cleaning liquid and cleaning cloth thic can also cause issues with distorted audio and video
    <---Done by Katsu Koneko its cute siggeh
    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature!