Is it safe to charge a Japanese DSi in the US?

Thread: Is it safe to charge a Japanese DSi in the US?

Super Moderator Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Is it safe to charge a Japanese DSi in the US?

I bought a japanese DSi on Ebay so i could use the enhanced features for Pokemon Black and White. I havent used this one much, it came with its own plug, but im scared to charge it. To those that own a japanese DSi system, it it safe to charge it using a regular american outlet, or do i need some sort of converter? I tried looking it up on nintendo's website but there was an error on the page. Please tell me i dont have to buy anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it safe to charge a Japanese DSi in the US?

Ummm...test it first. If it doesn't charge then you'll have to get a converter.

Also:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

Some North American equipment will work fine in Japan without adapter and vice versa, however, some sensitive equipment may not work properly or even get damaged. If you intend to purchase electronic appliances in Japan for use outside of Japan, you are advised to look for equipment specifically made for oversea tourists.
    If you have to buy a converter, then sucks for you. It's worth noting that unless the Japanese DSi was significantly cheaper than just buying a regular American one, you wasted your money as a Japanese game with all the enhanced features work normally on an American DSi including all the events and whatnot.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Super Moderator Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

well the charging light is on and im not dead from electrocution so i guess its ok. thaks for the help.

someone can close this now

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad it worked, but why would you be electrocuted...?

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I am not a he View Post
    Glad it worked, but why would you be electrocuted...?
    Differences in voltage. A 110-V plug would not be safe going into a 240-V socket like they have in Japan, because it gets more than twice the current. That's harmful.

Of course, you wouldn't get electrocuted, but it's a common urban myth that overloading the current in an appliance will result in electrocution. It has its merits, too, as the items in question will sometimes explode.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.