Is this the PlayStation Phone?

Thread: Is this the PlayStation Phone?

Blog Entries

Default Is this the PlayStation Phone?

Engadget tends to be pretty reliable, so I suppose this must be real.

Honestly (as a fan of portable gaming), this thing doesn't really do it for me. At least not from the little we know so far. I have no desire for my handheld gaming device to be tied to what I'm sure would be a rather costly monthly bill (assuming you wanted it to be fully featured and got the data plan/etc.)... nor do I find the idea of its price varying by whether I've purchased a 1,2 or 3-year contract all that appealing.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/
    Quote Originally Posted by Engadget

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!
    So has Sony given up competing directly with Nintendo for the handheld market and decided to take on Apple for their share of the market, instead? Will this be an N-Gage v2?
    Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 28th October 2010 at 12:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this the PlayStation Phone?

That looks just the a PSP go modified to look slightly different and to act as a phone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by minimag View Post
    That looks just the a PSP go modified to look slightly different and to act as a phone.
    Yeah, they do say it's a rough prototype; so no finished external casing yet. Engadget really aren't the type to post stories without a decent amount of evidence, though. I don't see this being fake, unless someone punk'd them real good, heh.

Blog Entries

I hope we got punk'd.
    This just screams commercial fail.Unless they change the design and give it some ground-breaking features.

Blog Entries

On the plus side, this may lead to a price cut on the current PSP line-up. If that got cheap enough, I might give one a go.

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

oh i saw this on AOL i think. i find it kinda weird thinking of Sony as making phones now.. but then again Google's already done it so wynaut? :P

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yourlilemogirl View Post
    i find it kinda weird thinking of Sony as making phones now.. but then again Google's already done it so wynaut? :P
    Technically they've been releasing phones under the Ericsson brand for many years, now. Combining that with the PSP seems like a bad move, however; at least IMO. Reaction so far to this leak hasn't been all that good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    Technically they've been releasing phones under the Ericsson brand for many years, now. Combining that with the PSP seems like a bad move, however; at least IMO. Reaction so far to this leak hasn't been all that good.
    You'd be suprised by how many people don't realise that sony ericsson phones are made by sony.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sony said it's fake. The UI in the picture also doesn't have the XMB like a real sony device would. The PS3 and current PSP use it, and many other sony devices (such as high end TVs and Blu Ray players) use it.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Below is proof people do cover stuff up like that:

On September 25, 2010, the game was accidentally outed on Twitter when Jiro Ishii of Level-5 accidentally tweeted to Jin Fujisawa of Square Enix, "Huh? Oh, Gyakuten XX. I'm making it, with Mr. Takumi!" in Japanese, which led to rampant speculation of a new Ace Attorney game being developed by Level-5, similarly to how new Capcom games from established franchises are being developed externally.[5] Jiro Ishii quickly covered up this leak, who tweeted later that day, "A misunderstanding seems to be spreading, so let me say that I'm currently working only on Time Travelers." This evidently turned out to be false; Ishii was working on both titles.[6]
    (Credit Ace Attorney Wiki)

So manifaturers do cover stuff like this up if it's big.

BTW, thats about Phoenix Wright X Professor Layton. Just throught I'd put that as evidence this could be a cover up.
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    Sony said it's fake.
    They would. But Engadget still maintains it's the real deal:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/the-playstation-phone-is-still-real/
    By now you've seen our photos of the PlayStation Phone, and likely you've also heard the scattered reports of debunkings and cries of "fake!" -- it wouldn't be a scoop without it. Only here's the thing: the PlayStation Phone in the photos we ran last night, and the device reported on back in August is most definitely real. We're not saying that because we want to believe or because we're gingerly trying to nab pageviews: we're saying it because we know it to be true. This is a device which has been confirmed through multiple, trusted sources. And we're not just talking good tipsters -- some of our information comes from people much more closely connected to the project. Even since last night we've received more info about the phone -- learning that its codename is "Zeus," and it was last seen running Android 2.X (not 3.0, which we suspect will be the shipping version). It should be obvious by comparison of our original mockup to the real photos we've just uncovered that the handset we described in August is the same handset now fully revealed. Prior to last night, we had never seen an actual image of the phone. It should also be obvious that the device pictured in those photos is a prototype running early software (which would explain the A / B button mention in the photo above) with hardware that was likely hand-built, or at the very least created in a very small batch.

Based on what we've heard about the secrecy of this plan, it makes sense that even Sony's own employees wouldn't be privy to information on the phone, the marketplace, and the collaboration with Google. The alleged Sony response to the device makes that somewhat clear -- reports state that an employee originally told a publication that the images were fake, only to backtrack and deliver the standard corporate line that the company "doesn't respond to rumor and speculation." It's possible that whomever was originally questioned either didn't know of the device's existence, was lying about its existence, or simply had their response taken out of context. And that brings us to our point -- while there will be plenty of speculation on whether or not what we've shown you is real, we would never run the images or the information without a healthy sense that we were bringing you fact, and not fiction. We don't like to boast, but as the guys and girls who brought you the first pictures and review of the Nexus One, the first details and images of the Dell Venue Pro (aka Lightning), the first pictures of the new MacBook Air, the first photos of the iPad, and the first photos of the iPhone 4, we feel pretty confident in our abilities to deliver the goods. Of course, this story is just beginning -- so hold on tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    The UI in the picture also doesn't have the XMB like a real sony device would. The PS3 and current PSP use it, and many other sony devices (such as high end TVs and Blu Ray players) use it.
    This doesn't really mean much. As Engadget says, if real it's probably running pretty early software. I doubt Sony is all that concerned about those kind of end-user convenience features in prototype hardware.

Blog Entries

Wow this is worse than the PSP. No analog stick period and from the looks of it no PSP backward compatibility, both of which the 3DS has. Sony has ruined it big time it seems. It may have more battery life, but the lack of Analog sticks and compatibility with past PSP games is a major disappointment.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiramu Kuromu View Post
    Wow this is worse than the PSP. No analog stick period and from the looks of it no PSP backward compatibility, both of which the 3DS has. Sony has ruined it big time it seems. It may have more battery life, but the lack of Analog sticks and compatibility with past PSP games is a major disappointment.
    You do realise this is a phone, not a console?
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chao-der! View Post
    You do realise this is a phone, not a console?
    So? If this thing is indeed the "successor" to the PSP, it should have both of those weither it's a phone or not.....