• 1 Post By Dolce

Thread: Nintendo Wii/DS internet multiplayer services will be shut down

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Default Nintendo Wii/DS internet multiplayer services will be shut down

Pretty much all stated in the title.

Nintendo Japan is putting internet-connected services for some of its older consoles out to pasture, although it's unknown if these plans could impact the US (Update: They will).The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection that served original Wii and DS units is scheduled to turn off internet multiplayer gaming and many other (but not all) services May 20th, while the free Video app that launched for the 3DS in 2011 will be unplugged at the end of March.

Services that will keep working on the DS after May include the DSi Shop, DS Browser, and DSi Browser, while the Wii keeps Netflix, Hulu, Wii Shop Channel, Internet Channel, Pay & Play and YouTube. Newer Nintendo Network games that arrived around the 3DS and local multiplayer will also keep on chugging. If you have a long-distance score to settle in Mario Kart DS or Wii Speak conversation pending, we'd suggest trading friend codes (remember those?) now, while you still can.

Update: Nintendo America has confirmed, the Wi-Fi Connection service shutdown May 20th is worldwide.
    Source.

This news doesn't really surprise me much at all, but at the same time while it's sad not many people play older games online anyways. At least from my knowledge. This definitely encourages me to finish up any business I have on older games though.

Thoughts?
    Champloo likes this.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station
    "There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable."

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nintendo Wii/DS internet multiplayer services will be shut down

I find it a bit sad since there's a lot of good games available that requires Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Anyway, I found a full list of games over at the Australian Nintendo website that shows which games are going to be affected by this (at least those published by Nintendo).

Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Supposedly this may have something to do with Gamespy matchmaking being bought out by Glu Mobil. It's possible that Glu Mobil didn't want to continue supporting Wii and DS games.

Blog Entries

Nintendo likely wants to keep the resources reserved for current gen.

Proud claimer of Sylveon, She is a sneaky Magician who
    loves to pounce out of nowhere and Nuzzle me!
    ♡♥♡5 Signatures! Only 499,995 to go!♡♥♡
    US EBAY SELLERS BEWARE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Supposedly this may have something to do with Gamespy matchmaking being bought out by Glu Mobil. It's possible that Glu Mobil didn't want to continue supporting Wii and DS games.
    Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglefox View Post
    Nintendo likely wants to keep the resources reserved for current gen.
    I'd like to think this is more than likely the reason, among other things. Such as putting a stop to the numerous fake GTS servers out there. I also think increasing the sales of current consoles is a major part in this as Nintendo has been very adamant about turning the Wii U around. This definitely helps as people are now "forced" to upgrade. All in all good news in my eyes. Especially with Mario Kart 8 & Super Smash Bros around the corner.

I RNG, if you think that's cheating you're dumb.

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

I can understand why they are doing this, but it's a big bummer if you would like to use older games for whatever reason (for example, their aesthetics) and have part of the gameplay taken from them - I mean, for lots of people the online trading was the only way to have a shot at getting a complete Pokédex, for example. Anyway, it's a logical choice, so while it sucks for a few it's probably for the benefit of many in the end.

It would be even worse if local wireless required an Internet connection in the DS's settings just to use it. So even if Wi-Fi for those games is shut down bringing any 2 DS's together (can also be a 3D or 2DS) in close proximity can still allow for things like trade between Gen IV or Gen V games or Importing Pokemon from Gen IV to Gen V.

It's a shame that this is happening. While we may have sims for stuff like Pokémon, fun games like Mario Kart DS are going to be a lot harder to play with friends now :(