Nintendo ds hinge repair!!

Thread: Nintendo ds hinge repair!!

Unhappy Nintendo ds hinge repair!!

Help! I've just dropped my ds and the hinge is all broken (although the wires are still in place and so the topscreen all works fine) I really cannot afford to replace it and quite frankly don't want to. I know my options-
    Pay to have it repaired (I wont be doing this as it costs more than the ds is worth!)
    Do a DIY repair and buy and install a whole new shell (I don't feel confident doing this as i don't want to risk rendering my ds totally disfunctional)
    So that just leaves the superglue and tape option!

I want to repair what i can with superglue. This will probably mean being unable to close the screens. I don't mind this- i was just wandering if anyone had any tips to make the glue job as strong as possible and give my ds the longest life.. :(
    Diamond FC: 2278 7854 4784
    Black FC: 0948 4516 0029
    Y FC: 2062 9352 1117

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nintendo ds hinge repair!!

Ahhh! My old basic DS's hinge broke while I was in the airport getting ready for vacation in Hawaii. I attempted to use super glue to fix the hinge, but it only ended up falling apart because I use it too frequently. After a few months, the wires in my DS finally malfunctioned or snapped so only the bottom screen functioned.

I think you should maybe get slightly spendy to repair your DS, I don't want it to end up like mine.

I ended up buying and entirely new DS (DSi)...

†Live moves on†

Hmm. Fair comment. But thats kinda why i want advice- to prevent my repairs from falling apart. I am usually very carrful with these things, this really was a complete accident so i am not too worried about having to treat it very carefully after repairing...
    Thanks for the advice anyway- I'll consider it :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mudkip99 View Post
    Hmm. Fair comment. But thats kinda why i want advice- to prevent my repairs from falling apart. I am usually very carrful with these things, this really was a complete accident so i am not too worried about having to treat it very carefully after repairing...
    Thanks for the advice anyway- I'll consider it :)
    Oh lol, I thought you didn't already attempt to repair it yet.

Well now that its either glued/taped together, you probably want to be more careful if you frequently use your DS like I did. There might be a greater chance the next time, the wires could break.

†Live moves on†

Quote Originally Posted by Lovely Complex View Post
    Oh lol, I thought you didn't already attempt to repair it yet.

Well now that its either glued/taped together, you probably want to be more careful if you frequently use your DS like I did. There might be a greater chance the next time, the wires could break.
    No i havn't made any repairs yet- sorry if i made it sound like i had! But yeah, thanks again for the advice :)

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only way I know of to repair a broken hinge, is to dissamble the DS, and install a new case. If you don't know what you are doing, it can cause further damage, and if it is still in warranty, then it will void it.

You can get it repaired by nintendo for less then a new DS.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

Honestly, it's not worth it to get it fixed. Because, I've sent in my DS 4 times, and when they send it back, the problem I sent it for is fixed but something else is broken.
    ---The Team---

My rare PKMN Cards:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/1470679-post31.html
    My fanfiction: http://tinyurl.com/8a9st44

I'm not overly confident in disassembling my ds- it all works fine and i don't want to risk completely breaking it. Paying to have it repaired seems like a waste of money to me. I bought it when they first came out so it is ooold- its just not worth it unfortunately... I'm probably gonna try glue until that fails, then take it apart and change the shell :)

Trophies
    Blog Entries

If you post a picture of it we may be able to help moar.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

ooh ouch. Having had this with two ds's myself, (the original and a DS Lite, I know what your going through, I was having to put my finger on the crack to support it during gameplay, believe me, this was not fun)

How bad is the crack exactly?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuV6mkwYZY

might help :)
    "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Arthur Conan Doyle

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Rainbow_Starworld/index.php?act=idx

Quote Originally Posted by samwin View Post
    ooh ouch. Having had this with two ds's myself, (the original and a DS Lite, I know what your going through, I was having to put my finger on the crack to support it during gameplay, believe me, this was not fun)

How bad is the crack exactly?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuV6mkwYZY

might help :)
    Its more than a crack- 4 cracks to be precise. One section snapped off and both hinges broke.. It fell whilst shut onto the hinge so the damage is pretty severe :(. I have now glued it open. It wont shut but it seems to be a very strong fix and everything works fine. A small amount of glue got on the touch screen but in light of the damage its a small price to pay. Lol. If the hinge breaks again i will buy a new shell and replace the case myself but until then i just gotta remember not to try and shut the topscreen...
    Thanks for everyones advice :)