need someone that is really good with computers

Thread: need someone that is really good with computers

People Just Get InThe Way Shadow-Lucario's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default need someone that is really good with computers

could someone please help me with my computer i was not sure to post this in the tech help but i think that this would not class as something that is small tech

ok the problem is that i have this computer http://www.buylaptopdeals.co.uk/acer-aspire-5542-laptop-review/

you see i am trying to play the settlers 7 on this laptop and after trying the "can you run it" website it says that it has passed but not recommended only because of my ram, which i dont understand because i have 4 gigs but for some reason it says that i have 3.7?

other than that it works great, my OS is windows 7 64 bit.

i contacted the ubi soft website and they said that my software was not up to date, the first thing is how do i do updates because i tried the websites but i dont know anything about this kinda things.

here are the results from the "can you run it" scan

i checked the settlers 7 website because there was a new patch and found this i know it says 32 bit but would this affect me anyway or if i tried it would i muck my computer up?

"Players with the 32-bit version of vista & Windows 7 should
    increase the amount of virtual ram that's available to the game: or else they won't be able to play in high details.

1. go to start - accessories - command prompt.
    2. rightclick it and select "run as administrator".
    3. Type (or copy) : BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 2300
    4. There should be a confirmation that it worked.
    5. Reboot.

could someone please help
    Last edited by Shadow-Lucario; 27th January 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    "people who dont understand me Fear me,People who try to understand me should Fear me"

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: need someone that is really good with computers

1. This should be in tech help.
    2. Please spoiler your images.
    3. It will run, but your ram isn't holding it back. Your gpu is. And since it's a laptop, you can't upgrade it. So it might run on low.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

sorry about posting in the wrong section, i will post there in future

spoiler my image? i dont know how sorry, also my gpu? no idea . . . also even when i run it on bog standered lowest settings it still goes slow and i have seen worse computers run this at least on medium settings
    "people who dont understand me Fear me,People who try to understand me should Fear me"

Blog Entries

Sounds like your integrated gpu is too crappy for the game. Integrated gpus are terrible for gaming.

Also, for spoiler you add a tag like this:

[ spoiler]
    [/spoiler]
    With no space.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    It will run, but your ram isn't holding it back. Your gpu is.
    GPU's fine, it passed on recommended, the RAM did not.

Anyhow, barring any strange happenings, you will be able to run the game. You meet the Minimum requirements. "Recommended" is usually what is recommended to get the full visual experience... full anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, high resolutions, etc. Even then, you pretty much meet those requirements too, so you're fine. The RAM should not cause much of a problem.

Blog Entries

see i am not sure because i can run other games on medium settings like command and conquer 4, the elder scrolls oblivion even supreme commander but it just seems to be this game you see there are other problems on the ubi soft forum with this problem they say that when the game starts the frame rate just drops dramatically and i dont know how to fix this

Blog Entries

there we go finally did that "spoiler" thing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Lucario View Post
    see i am not sure because i can run other games on medium settings like command and conquer 4, the elder scrolls oblivion even supreme commander but it just seems to be this game you see there are other problems on the ubi soft forum with this problem they say that when the game starts the frame rate just drops dramatically and i dont know how to fix this
    In that case it sounds like it might not like something with your setup, it'll be impossible to tell what due to their being so many variables.

Anyhow, it's not crashing, which is good. Frame rate lag can be eased by lowering the settings.

If you don't want to sacrifice visuals just yet... you could also try updating your video drivers, you have an ATI video chipset so you'd go to ATI's website and look for the latest driver, here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Enter your setup and it will give you the appropriate download. A word of warning: new drivers are not guaranteed to solve the problem, in fact they can sometimes cause more with other software, though this is rare.

Blog Entries

you see i tried updating the graphics card and i think it did not work i think that website showed my graphics card but if not it is here (i reset my laptop back to factory state because i was loosing alot of HDD space which is now fixed) but very weary about updating things i dont know anything about.

ATI radeon HD 4200 Graphics. which on the back of the game case which i have in front of me now shows that my graphics card is suitable to play this game but i even contacted ati about my driver and they said because it is intergrated i think that it is not easy to update (dont hold me to this i cant remember it was about 4 months ago i got this email)

but still i dont even know what i am looking for or even what to download

Blog Entries

sorry about the log off my laptop battery went in the mains now but after going onto that website i dont know what to download after i input my graphics card details

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

see i hope that is the correct information but this is what came up other than those downloads i dont know which one to download

Blog Entries

It's been a good 9 years since I've dealt with integrated GPUs, so I'm not sure of the driver situation there. You should be able to update it with new drivers.

According to the specs in the images, THIS is the driver you'd need: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated_win7-64.aspx

You might want to contact support before going ahead with installing that though, if you're worried.

Outside of that, I'm not sure what to tell you. You meet the minimum specs so it should not be lagging. My guess is the integrated GPU might be sapping resources from something else and causing that to lag behind. A driver might help that. Again, I haven't worked with integrated GPUs in a while, so again, you may want to contact AMD support once more.

Blog Entries

thanks for all the help after a day or two and contacting ati i shall post back the results thanks again all

Blog Entries

You can update intergrated gpu drivers. My laptop has switchable graphics, and it uses 1 driver for both.

Dedicated GPUs are far better however. Get a desktop and add a GPU, and then you can play lots of games.

Blog Entries

what do you mean switchable graphics also one problem with a desktop . . . . . i have no cash