My computer crashed, then flew off

Thread: My computer crashed, then flew off

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default My computer crashed, then flew off

I wonder if anyone here can help with this...

Been having a sudden problem with my ageing Dell desktop. It runs XP SP2, and is a little slow and clunky, but does the job: I hadn't had a crash for something like six months before this occurred.

I came into the room and found that the machine had restarted itself. I logged in, and waited (it takes a while to load the startup processes, but this is nothing new for this particular machine). I then tried to open Firefox, and everything froze for a moment, then the machine restarted.

And thus it has continued. Windows starts normally, but as soon as I try o run a program, the machine either restarts or just freezes. I can't even get Task Manager up (it will sometimes appear just before the freeze occurs).

I can boot into Safe Mode, where everything appears to work normally. I tried a System Restore to a month previous, but the same problem occurred. I usually consider myself fairly competent with computers, but this oe has me stumped. Can anyone offer any advice?

Blog Entries

Default Re: My computer crashed, then flew off

Sounds like a problem with a physical component. Possibly the CPU (would explain the inability or slowness at running processes). Sort of sounds like a problem I had a couple of computers back, but at a certain point, it started having problems even turning on (ended up being the motherboard).

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

The machine is a good age, but the slowness at startup has been around for a long time... a couple of years, I think. This new problem is quite sudden.

I'd have expected a hardware problem to persist during Safe Mode, though I've been using Safe Mode for several hours now, without incident. Sort of praying that this is just a case of a bad driver or something like that >.>

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try backing up your data, and reformat.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.