Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Default Re: Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

@Master Mew your entire argument seems to be based around the assumption that people who pirate games would buy the game if they weren't able to pirate it. Stop assuming that, because that is not true. People who really want the game generally just buy it, and if they pirate it it's usually because they wouldn't have or couldn't have bought it otherwise. And likewise, people who buy a second-hand copy also wouldn't have bought it regularly, because of money or because they don't want to pay full price for a game they never heard of, etc. Therefore, both are the same in the eyes of the developers. Wether you can replay the game or not might mean something morally, but economically it generally doesn't (like Grnmrvl14 pointed out).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrnMarvl14 View Post
    Piracy may be the bigger threat, but used games are still a threat. And, clearly, as far as the people that make the decisions are concerned, it's the bigger threat.
    Fair enough. Though I would probably substitute "more manageable" for "bigger" threat. Microsoft's revenue is being cut into deeply by both, and they're considering targeting the (relatively smaller) one they can do something about.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

Can we stop talking about the awful GameStop and start talking about how gullible everyone is for believing this?

Like... srsly, guize... it's probably a rumour stirred up by Sony to win over prospective Xbox 720/3/360II owners

Blog Entries

Don't see why. Capcom made plans to create a game following this line of thought (can't remember if they ever followed through. Believe they did, though). An entire system doing it? Makes sense. Though, really, the more likely option would be downloadable-only games. Same effect, but people won't realize how they're being screwed.

WTF?
    Don't you mean FTW!

Nintendo!

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't see why. Capcom made plans to create a game following this line of thought (can't remember if they ever followed through. Believe they did, though). An entire system doing it? Makes sense. Though, really, the more likely option would be downloadable-only games. Same effect, but people won't realize how they're being screwed.

Sony tried that already, it bombed heavily, and the Vita went back to physical storage.
    mini-chan, Ino-Chan and MegaCharr like this.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

How can you go BACK to physical storage? Did they redesign it? Or are the games on flash drives now?

Blog Entries

How can you go BACK to physical storage? Did they redesign it? Or are the games on flash drives now?
    They are now using memory cards for Vita games similar to the DS, instead of using UMDs.

Blog Entries

That makes sense. Maybe is a sign the populace WOULD notice the switch. Of course, if they compared it something fairly popular like Steam...

Blog Entries

On consoles, Digital stores are also lame compared to steam, because not only do games cost full price, but they also usually never have sales.

Plus, a lot of console owners are not connected to the internet. There are still plenty of 360 owners who aren't connected to live.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    On consoles, Digital stores are also lame compared to steam, because not only do games cost full price, but they also usually never have sales.

Plus, a lot of console owners are not connected to the internet. There are still plenty of 360 owners who aren't connected to live.
    Which is, really, the only thing that could stop them from going forward with this: The percentage of the people they sell to that don't have Internet access. Steam may be better, but they really wouldn't care (and I've seen sales on PSN's store, so it's not just Steam. It may not be as common as Steam, but they DO happen).

Really, the fact that Microsoft is dropping their silly points system and making Live free is a sign that this isn't COMPLETE bull. It may be unlikely, but they're at least making the moves they need to make for it to be a remotely viable option.

Blog Entries

An entire system doing it? Makes sense. Though, really, the more likely option would be downloadable-only games. Same effect, but people won't realize how they're being screwed.
    "People" might not realize it, but I'm pretty sure all the retailers who currently carry games for their consoles (GameStop, Walmart, etc.) would notice. Expect retailers to put up a fight if that model is proposed by Microsoft.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    An entire system doing it? Makes sense. Though, really, the more likely option would be downloadable-only games. Same effect, but people won't realize how they're being screwed.
    "People" might not realize it, but I'm pretty sure all the retailers who currently carry games for their consoles (GameStop, Walmart, etc.) would notice. Expect retailers to put up a fight if that model is proposed by Microsoft.
    I don't see Wal-Mart really caring. GameStop, maybe. And I believe they DID make a fuss over that Resident Evil game (I should really hunt that article down...).

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

This is something that could put game rental services such as Gamefly out of business, thus denying people who do not have enough money to buy a new copy of the game. Luckily, this is only a rumor, and I hope it isn't true at all, but either way, it's nonsense...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123