Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

Totally confirmed for real you guys!

In all seriousness, while I do buy if not all my games new, I'm a bit skeptical to this. It wouldn't necessarily affect me much, but first of all, I'll see if it's actually true or not, something I doubt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    Regardless, it won't happen because of the flaw in where once a game is opened, it's used, thus rendering the console completely useless. Microsoft isn't stupid enough to go through with this.
    I highly doubt that's what they mean by "used." After all, a company like Microsoft would probably make sure what they're planning is possible before leaking it to the public.

More than likely, the idea is to develop a way to ensure that once a game is first played on a console, said game can only be played on that particular console.

All else aside, it won't happen anyway.
    Last edited by Master Mew; 27th January 2012 at 12:27 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

That's odd, I didn't originally post that. :/

Anyway, yeah, it shouldn't happen. It would prevent scenarios like friends bringing games over to each other's houses. And it's fun to share your games with friends!

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Look at that, Microsoft just kicked themselves in the groin.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    And they're a terrible place for PC gamers, having more copies of WoW than anything else.
    That's because PC gaming isn't their platform. They cater to console gamers. And in any case PC gamers have Steam for digital distribution.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guys, it's a rumor.

If this happened for real, there would probably be a mega backlash, plus that would be one more invite for hackers to break their system open, other then the usual Linux/piracy reasons. Not only that, but a lot of people on the 360 do not have a Live account at all, not even a silver account.

After the rampant modding that happened with both Xboxes, MS probably doesn't want to encourage any more hackers. MS is more concerned about people playing burnt copies.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    More on topic, however, I doubt Microsoft will go forward with this. GameStop, along with other retailers of used games, will pressure them severely to change course. And I see little benefit in this for Microsoft.
    Gamestop doesn't have any laverage over Microsoft. If you're a game store who doesn't stock games, you're a very idiotic game store without any profits. If Gamestop doesn't want to buy the games, they are the ones who lose money, because people will just buy their games somewhere else, and assuming demand doesn't drop (because I don't see why it would), then Microsoft itself wouldn't lose any money.

For game designers there is no difference between wether someone pirates a game or buys it second-hand, they're not seeing any money of it back. Yet somehow anti-piracy locks are totally ok with people, but a rumored lock like this is immediatly an outrage for some reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    For game designers there is no difference between wether someone pirates a game or buys it second-hand, they're not seeing any money of it back. Yet somehow anti-piracy locks are totally ok with people, but a rumored lock like this is immediatly an outrage for some reason.
    There is a rather important difference between purchasing a used game and downloading a pirated copy: When you buy a used game, the person you bought it from no longer has it. The same game that was originally purchased is still only being used by one person at a time, as it was intended. When you download a pirated copy, only one original copy was paid for but many people are using it at the same time, meaning fewer original copies need to be purchased, severely cutting into revenue.

Comparing buying a used game to illegally downloading a copy of someone else's game is comparing apples to oranges.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    There is a rather important difference between purchasing a used game and downloading a pirated copy: When you buy a used game, the person you bought it from no longer has it. The same game that was originally purchased is still only being used by one person at a time, as it was intended. When you download a pirated copy, only one original copy was paid for but many people are using it at the same time, meaning fewer original copies need to be purchased, severely cutting into revenue.

Comparing buying a used game to illegally downloading a copy of someone else's game is comparing apples to oranges.
    Not from the developer's perspective. Either way, they're only receiving money for the game once. There may be a moral difference between pirating/buying used, but there isn't an economic difference. It's like selling something at a garage sale. You're not getting any money if that person sells that item again, are you? You aren't giving money to the person you originally bought it from, are you? This idea isn't new, and has been done before for plenty of games (I seem to remember there being word of a 3DS Resident Evil game using the same tactic). The idea of an entire system doing it is certainly plausible and maybe even likely, especially with the big shift to online distribution (which is EXACTLY what this is like. You can't sell a digital game, can you? You HAVE to buy it new), something that seems more and more a certainty every day. The idea, while not ideal, is almost an inevitability.

Really, the whole idea is how you package it. If the next XBox was only selling games online, I have a feeling this would have gone down much more easily (don't remember anyone complaining when Sony did that with the Vita, after all. Or complaining about iOS and Android games being sold the same way).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrnMarvl14 View Post
    Not from the developer's perspective. Either way, they're only receiving money for the game once.
    As I said, however, only one person can use the used game they purchased at a time - that's hardly the same thing as one person buying a game new, then uploading it to a filesharing site for thousands of people to download for free.

For that reason, I would contend there is a massive difference for the developer. Selling used games doesn't change the actual number of copies there are in circulation.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Supposedly they only really make money from used game sales. Videogame pricing is a factor in this.
    But then there's the issue of Gamestop giving you less money for selling a video game, whether it's old or new. There's even a parody video regarding how corrupted the store is without any competition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Supposedly they only really make money from used game sales. Videogame pricing is a factor in this.
    But then there's the issue of Gamestop giving you less money for selling a video game, whether it's old or new.
    I can't fault them for that. They're a retail establishment, that's how retail works.

Blog Entries

Not from the developer's perspective. Either way, they're only receiving money for the game once.
    As I said, however, only one person can use the used game they purchased at a time - that's hardly the same thing as one person buying a game new, then uploading it to a filesharing site for thousands of people to download for free.

For that reason, I would contend there is a massive difference for the developer. Selling used games doesn't change the actual number of copies there are in circulation.
    But, again, it doesn't matter how many people use it at once. It's how many they sell. Nothing else matters. Yes, piracy is their main concern, but used games are a big concern. Some say it's not in the consumer's best interest. Some that it defrauds the industry. And, hell, some are apparently calling it money laundering. Sure, you and I may not see it as that big a deal, but clearly those inside the industry have serious problems with it.

Heck, some even think used games are WORSE than piracy.

Blog Entries

But, again, it doesn't matter how many people use it at once. It's how many they sell. Nothing else matters.
    I know that. But if only one copy needs to be sold in order for potentially thousands of people to download the game for free, piracy significantly decreases the total number of sales.

By comparison, if only one copy is sold, and then distributed via used game sales, there is still only one game in circulation. It would take ages for thousands of people to access the game, and they would only get to play it for a short period of time. Hardly the same impact on the industry as instant access, for free, for thousands.

Blog Entries

But, again, it doesn't matter how many people use it at once. It's how many they sell. Nothing else matters.
    I know that. But if only one copy needs to be sold in order for potentially thousands of people to download the game for free, piracy significantly decreases the total number of sales.

By comparison, if only one copy is sold, and then distributed via used game sales, there is still only one game in circulation. It would take ages for thousands of people to access the game, and they would only get to play it for a short period of time. Hardly the same impact on the industry as instant access, for free, for thousands.
    But even piracy has its limitations. And you have to wonder how many people are pirating vs. how many people are buying used games. You say one copy could lead to thousands pirating the game. But does it? And how many thousands of games are sold each year that are then bought by new people? Yes, as far as ONE game goes, piracy is worse, but we aren't talking about simply ONE game. If we were, neither would be an issue.

Piracy may be the bigger threat, but used games are still a threat. And, clearly, as far as the people that make the decisions are concerned, it's the bigger threat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast