Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

Alright, my mom and I heard the stupidest thing on the radio today while on our way home from some grocery shopping.

Microsoft is going to try making a new Xbox that can't play used games. What the hell kind of stunt is this? For one thing, if it were done, a lot of problems would arise. I don't play Xbox, but it affects me because I shop at Gamestop, who sells used games. This would make them lose a lot of business, Xbox game buyers, to be precise. And I like Gamestop too much. They always have games that I can't find nowhere else. Also, I bet a lot of actual Xbox players would get pissed at this.

For another, this stupid idea seems to be practically impossible to do. Because once a new game is opened up, popped into the system, and started up, it's automatically used. You don't even have to start a file. So if a game console can't play a used game, it can't play a new one either. Again, HOW IS THIS SHIT EVEN POSSIBLE? ARE YOU REALLY THIS STUPID, MICROSOFT?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Microsoft to make a new Xbox that can't play used games - WTF?

May as well copy-paste my response from elsewhere.

This might actually help me in a way. More often than not I've bought a game that uses an online pass used, and once the new console comes out, I'll be safe knowing that I'll never make that mistake again.

(that said, it would hurt more than help. Fuck you, Microsoft.)

Blog Entries

We should probably all panic and switch to Playstation.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

1. It kinda makes sense because you can't transfer all of the data you have from your 360 to their newest console as they're stuck to the system for years to come.

2. Why the heck do you enjoy shopping at the one game shop everyone hates for being a monopoly?
    Girly Princess likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Why the heck do you enjoy shopping at the one game shop everyone hates for being a monopoly?
    Hey, when I can buy a used copy of Forza 3 for $20, I'm not exactly disappointed.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Monopoly? I have no idea what you're talking about. And it sure doesn't look like everyone hates Gamestop to me. Almost every time I go there, the place is packed. It rarely isn't.

Also, there aren't many other places that have used games and such a huge game selection to begin with. Sure, there's going to be an idiot employee every now and then, but hey, you find those at every store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    Monopoly? I have no idea what you're talking about. And it sure doesn't look like everyone hates Gamestop to me. Almost every time I go there, the place is packed. It rarely isn't.
    Also, there aren't many other places that have used games and such a huge game selection to begin with. Sure, there's going to be an idiot employee every now and then, but hey, you find those at every store.
    ^ That's what he meant by "monopoly."

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

This is a rumor.
    Gligar13 and Girly Princess like this.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    ^ That's what he meant by "monopoly."
    I still don't understand. I said there aren't MANY places that sell used games, not that Gamestop is the ONLY place that sells used games.

Blog Entries

It gets the lion-share of used-game sales, enough so to be called a "monopoly" of sorts (though not a literal monopoly, if such a thing even really exists).

More on topic, however, I doubt Microsoft will go forward with this. GameStop, along with other retailers of used games, will pressure them severely to change course. And I see little benefit in this for Microsoft.
    Girly Princess likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Then you obviously haven't seen the Game Overthinker's video regarding Gamestop's devilish motivations.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Then you obviously haven't seen the Game Overthinker's video regarding Gamestop's devilish motivations.
    Supposedly they only really make money from used game sales. Videogame pricing is a factor in this.

Anyways, I doubt this rumor is true because doing this would be a big pile of fail.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uh, no. This will never go through. If it does, they'll learn the hard way.

I still don't understand. I said there aren't MANY places that sell used games, not that Gamestop is the ONLY place that sells used games.
    Gamestop is the one that's most likely to rip you off somehow. And they're a terrible place for PC gamers, having more copies of WoW than anything else.

Regardless, it won't happen because of the flaw in where once a game is opened, it's used, thus rendering the console completely useless. Microsoft isn't stupid enough to go through with this. However, if EA were to ever try to make a console they'd do this, along with a constant connection to Origin required, and a possibility of one console and game per person, thus requiring multiple consoles and game copies per household.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Supposedly they only really make money from used game sales. Videogame pricing is a factor in this.
    This is true. Gaming companies always get the profit for the new copies that are sold. Gamestop is only more successful than other similar gaming stores because they have a lot of business, always have a wide selection of games, a lot of which can't be bought anywhere else except perhaps online, they have tons of stores all over the country, and you can even buy stuff from them through their website. They also give you special discounts and bonuses when you have a Gamestop membership card.

And like some of you guys are saying, I doubt Microsoft will actually go through with this too. I just couldn't believe I heard such a thing on the radio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast