Mario RPGs Discussion Thread

Thread: Mario RPGs Discussion Thread

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Mario RPGs Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    This list is pretty awful. Where's Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story?
    Imo, Mario just doesn't work as an RPG. I've yet to enjoy one. Super Paper Mario doesn't count because it doesn't have the elements I disliked in TTYD and SMRPG.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: IGN's top 100 RPGs

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    This list is pretty awful. Where's Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story?
    Imo, Mario just doesn't work as an RPG. I've yet to enjoy one. Super Paper Mario doesn't count because it doesn't have the elements I disliked in TTYD and SMRPG.
    Yet they received high scores by both fans and critics. Saying Mario doesn't work in RPGs is like saying Kirby doesn't work in pinball.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Yet they received high scores by both fans and critics. Saying Mario doesn't work in RPGs is like saying Kirby doesn't work in pinball.
    Which is odd, because the gameplay of the Mario RPGs is awful and tedious. That turn system is really annoying. You're forced into long battles a lot and you can't run from them. I realize that the battles are important for leveling up, but I want to continue the game someday, thanks. The storylines are good, but that's all they've got going for them. They don't feel like Mario games at all to me. Super Paper Mario, on the other hand, stayed true to the Mario style but still had some RPG elements like leveling up and such. The first chapter is even an homage world 1-1 from SMB.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That turn system is really annoying.
    Maybe you aren't playing the game right, because for one, the turn system allows you to interact from turn to turn.

You're forced into long battles a lot and you can't run from them.
    You do have the ability to run from them, but at the cost of losing some coins or something else. Besides, the creatures are easy to avoid, unlike random encounters.

I realize that the battles are important for leveling up, but I want to continue the game someday, thanks.
    Just like ALL RPGs.

They don't feel like Mario games at all to me. Super Paper Mario, on the other hand, stayed true to the Mario style but still had some RPG elements like leveling up and such.
    But it was regarded as the weakest entry to the Paper Mario series because of that.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Maybe you aren't playing the game right, because for one, the turn system allows you to interact from turn to turn.
    I have no idea what you mean, but I was annoyed by the system nonetheless.

You do have the ability to run from them, but at the cost of losing some coins or something else. Besides, the creatures are easy to avoid, unlike random encounters.
    Then I've never figured out how to run from them. Strange. And I always had trouble avoiding the monsters.

But it was regarded as the weakest entry to the Paper Mario series because of that.
    Which is bullshit. Super Paper Mario is the best Paper Mario game out there because it actually feels like a real Mario game, yet also has a real storyline too. It's nostalgic, and Mario's ability to swap between 2D and 3D is clever and awesome. The characters are amazing too. Count Bleck is a badass villian, Mr. L is the greatest Mario villain ever, Mimi is annoying, but in the good way, and then Dimentio is just that badass freakshow. I loved the levels and the pixls too. And you can play as Luigi, Peach, or Bowser as well as Mario.

People praise Mario for its gameplay elements. Super Paper Mario uses them. So why are people hating on it for that? It makes no sense to me.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I have no idea what you mean, but I was annoyed by the system nonetheless.
    For example: In Paper Mario, when Mario is about to hit an enemy by a split second, you press A to cause double damage. If an enemy is about to hit you by a split second, you quickly press A to guard to deal less damage.

Which is bullshit. Super Paper Mario is the best Paper Mario game out there because it actually feels like a real Mario game, yet also has a real storyline too. It's nostalgic, and Mario's ability to swap between 2D and 3D is clever and awesome. The characters are amazing too. Count Bleck is a badass villian, Mr. L is the greatest Mario villain ever, Mimi is annoying, but in the good way, and then Dimentio is just that badass freakshow. I loved the levels and the pixls too. And you can play as Luigi, Peach, or Bowser as well as Mario.

People praise Mario for its gameplay elements. Super Paper Mario uses them. So why are people hating on it for that? It makes no sense to me.
    It was criticized for abandoning the turn-based gameplay for a side-scrolling gameplay. It's like how Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts was criticized for changing its platformer gameplay with a vehicle-based gameplay.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

For example: In Paper Mario, when Mario is about to hit an enemy by a split second, you press A to cause double damage. If an enemy is about to hit you by a split second, you quickly press A to guard to deal less damage.
    Oh, that. I always had trouble timing that right too. Also annoyed me.

It was criticized for abandoning the turn-based gameplay for a side-scrolling gameplay. It's like how Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts was criticized for changing its platformer gameplay with a vehicle-based gameplay.
    And Mario is meant to be a platformer! So I never understood all the complaint.

@ghaskan;: I apologize, sorry.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Mario RPGs Discussion Thread

I love the Mario RPGS. I've played almost all of them and I've enjoyed them all.

Impossible Spell Card Scarlet Sky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm another dissenter. I like the Mario RPGs too. I played both the original Paper Mario and TTYD, as well as Mario and Luigi - Partners in Time. Paper Mario games in particular have a pretty good OST and good humor, giving it a lighter feel than things like Final Fantasy. (No hate on FF, don't get me wrong.) In addition, the design motif is innovative and different.

The mass-following of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and all the people that praised the other games, disagrees with you, Kelleo. Sorry, I just don't see how Mario's leap into the realm of the RPG didn't work.
    Last edited by Frazay; 10th October 2012 at 09:01 PM.