Laptop's old mute button has caused sound problems

Thread: Laptop's old mute button has caused sound problems

Blog Entries

Follow Leggo on Tumblr Visit Leggo's Youtube Channel

Default Laptop's old mute button has caused sound problems

Hello. I have a problem, but before you can understand my dilemma, you have to read, you can attempt to skim, how I got this problem.
    It all started around the beginning of this year. I downloaded something that lead to a virus. I will always download free stuff from the Internet from now on. I got rid of the virus, but it made me mess up my computer.
    So I had a friend-acquaintance, who is works with computers at my old middle school, replace the Internet card, backup my computer, and convert my laptop's operating system from Windows Vista to XP.
    Comodo has a voice, so I, who was used to pressing the mute button (as shown in spoiler#1), pressed the button and now I don't have sound. My computer cannot detect my sound device. According to my friend-acquaintance, it does work.
    Click the spoiler, please!

Open these too, please!

I tried to fix the problem myself by Googling, but it hasn't worked out. There was this one time in which I downloaded this driver that might've helped, but I didn't restart to make the changes. D:<
    I tried to update, rollback, and disable and enable the driver. Nothing worked. Also, I tried unmuting by using hot-keys and pressing the button again.
    My friend-acquaintance said that he was going to give me this check-scan-thing via Facebook, but he forgot to. I kept reminding him to, but I forgot to remind him, in person, today (last day of school). He's one of those people who doesn't go on Facebook often, so I can't ask him about it on there, so knowing there are geniuses on Bulbagarden, I started this thread.
    Computer Type: Gateway T-6345u Notebook with Ridgeview accents
    Motivation and my Complaints about not having sound:

Thank you for reading this or skimming. Also, sorry if there are grammar problems. I wish there was auto-correct grammar for talking.

Blog Entries

Follow Leggo on Tumblr Visit Leggo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Laptop's old mute button has caused sound problems

UPDATE: I found the solution to my problem! I just Googled the kind of sound driver my computer uses along with the kind of operating system I use and the company name that made my laptop, so it was "Sigmatel HD audio driver xp Gateway".
    I downloaded the driver that my computer said was compatible and then when I was finished and prompted to restart, I clicked Restart Now to get the changes right away. (Note: Always do this.)