Games

Thread: Games

Does anyone actually list their location?
    Blog Entries

Default Games

Currently, I am writing a research paper for university. I am currently looking at Gaming, its role in globalisation and its impact on everyday life.

Now, I get the fact that World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Starcraft II, Minecraft, Defence of The Ancients, League of Legends, Portal, Portal 2, Pokemon Video Games and the Trading Card Game counterpart, Yu-Gi-Oh! are all extremely popular and played by perhaps hundreds of thousands, possibly up to even millions, of people every day (Yes, I am aware that I did leave out several very popular games but I can't list them all here).

Now, why am I saying this you ask?
    I want to hear your opinions on WHY you play certain games. If possible, address:
    -What games do you play?
    -Which game(s) do you play the most?
    -What benefit do you get from playing these games?
    -Why do you play them (wasting time is not an acceptable response)?
    -How did you find that game to begin with?
    -What made you keep playing it (in other words - why do you continue playing the game even after you finish the main story/plot/goal)?

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Games

I mostly play RTS games because I love the feeling of commanding armies of units dishing damage on massive armies of the enemy and using strategy to outsmart an opponent who has the numbers advantage.

What games do you play?

Due to my love of RTS games, I mostly play games like Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth, Command & Conquer series, etc.

Other games that I play include World of Warcraft, the Battlefield series, Prince of Persia series, FIFA, Need for Speed, etc.

And Pokemon obviously.

Which game(s) do you play the most?

Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne mainly.

What benefit do you get from playing these games?

Not sure really. I play games for fun.

Why do you play them (wasting time is not an acceptable response)?

As I said, for fun and enjoyment.

How did you find that game to begin with?

Starcraft could possibly be my very first game. Or Dune II. Don't remeber which exactly. Those two games, I loved and they got me into other games from those companies. Thus, I discovered Warcraft 2 from Starcraft and soon Warcraft 3. I then played the sequels to Dune II and the C&C series.

I got into Pokemon because of my love of the anime.

What made you keep playing it (in other words - why do you continue playing the game even after you finish the main story/plot/goal)?

Warcraft 3 has such a huge multi-player community. Naturally, I keep playing it online and I'm decent at it unlike say Starcraft 1 & 2 where I suck royally. I just can't seem to get the hang of it in multi-player.

In World of Warcraft, you cannot experience the whole story by playing as only 1 faction. Even withing the Alliance and the Horde, there are different quests depending on which Race you are playing as. Unfortunately, I kept losing interest in the plot despite the amazing gameplay. In the vanilla, it was really good. But Burning Crusade killed off one of the best and most deepest characters, Illidan just like that. He was turned into a villain through and through and all the character development he went through in Warcraft 3 was thrown out. Even worse with Kael'Thas. In Warth of the Lich King, Arthas' death did not anger me so much but I believe that there was still so much more that could have done with him. Blizzard, to me, has this unfortunate tendency to establish characters and give them loads of awesome character development but the end of that characters story is almost always either disappointing or just plain horrible.

Pokemon too has a huge online community too. Though getting the perfect Pokemon on he games themselves is really hard so I prefer the online simulators like Shoddy, and now, Pokemon Online.
    Last edited by Ranger Jack Walker; 2nd May 2011 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I wish I had more time playing video games but when I do it's =
    FIFA 11 (360) - I love soccer/football
    Any Call of Duty Game (360) - God gave me a gift at this game.
    and I just got poke' Black...

Video Games are fun especially if you got nothing else to do or when it's not a good day to hang out.
    "DJ Stackz" - Blazin Nightclubs and fillin' up dancefloors since 08!
    HERE WE GOOOOO!

Join the BMGF Hip-Hop/Rap Group :http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/rap-hip-hop/

Blog Entries

What games do I play?

Mainly RPGs, some platformers, lots of fighting.

Games I play the most? Probably Super Mario, he's freakin awesome

What do I benefit? Learning how to read from Pokemon was some benfitted.

Why do you play them? Because it is fun to play those games. No idea why. And I like being a nerd,

What made me keep playing? Probably seeing other people play them.

-What games do you play?

Games I've played in the past month or so include: Super Street Fighter IV, Blazblue: Continuum Shift, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, League of Legends, Arcana Heart 3, Portal 2, and Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

Most of my gaming time is spent on fighting games, improving my execution and working on my spacing and footsies. I've also really gotten into LoL, and consider myself to be pretty decent now.

For the most I feel they improve my problem solving skills. Instead of just looking at something and saying "that's broken, what's the point of fighting against it?" I try and say "let's look for a way to beat it." For example when MvC3 came out I complained a lot about Sentinel, but now I find him easier to beat once I realized he falls to smart defense.

The multiplayer games can be explained I suppose by my love of competition. There's always a goal to work towards, and the feeling you get whenever you truly out-think and outplay someone is phenomenal. As for single player games, well I just love a good story.

Fighting games are a relatively new love or me, I've been playing the SSB and Soul Calibur games for some time, though not competitively, but I only really got into them with SSF4.I picked up Portal2 and and DQV because I love the other games in their respective series.

-What made you keep playing it (in other words - why do you continue playing the game even after you finish the main story/plot/goal)?

Portal 2 keeps me coming back with it's wonderful humor and mind bending puzzles. DQV has 3 different wives you can select, which can change the way you play sections of the game significantly, as well as their being tons of monsters to recruit and use.

The thing that makes me love fighting games is that their is no end goal aside from bettering yourself to be able to beat as many players as possible. As much as I've improved there's still players on my friends list who can destroy me, which means I have a long way to go before I can say I'm satisfied with my performance.

HAS RETURNEEEEDDD!!!! AlexandraTheZoroark's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What games do you play?

Smash Bros. series, Pokémon, Nintendogs, Imagine series, and the Mario series.

What games do you play the most?

Pokémon, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Nintendogs.

What benifit do you get from playing these games?

A good eye for details. I'm usually the first person who notices that a teacher has new glasses all because of my eye for details from gaming

Why do you play them?

I love to play SSBB with my best friends, and playing it with them connects me with them even more. Also, Nintendogs, Pokémon, etc. really get my mind off the real world.

How did you find the game to begin with?

I hear about it's good reviews about a game I wanna buy, and then I'm like "OMG I'm gonna buy it!!". That was my case with SSBB :-P

Why do you keep playing it?

Cuz those games are awesome and fun! :D
    Formerly LucarioGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I am writing a paper on dakimakuras.

I've only written four paragraphs, but it's already five pages long...
    deviantART|Scratch|YouTube|Fanclub

Blog Entries

-What games do you play?
    All kinds. First person shooters, RPGs, etc. Two of my favorite are Portal and Pokemon.
    Pokemon, duh.
    I feel happy, I guess.
    -Why do you play them?
    It's fun and I almost always have something to do. I don't have to worry about the real world.
    As long as I can remember I have liked Pokemon so it's only natural I would get the games first chance I got.
    -What made you keep playing it?
    Replayablity. You can do all sorts of stuff even after finishing the story mode.
    Last edited by --root--; 6th May 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Red face Re: Games

-What games do you play?
    Pokemon, Mario games, Sonic Games, Call of Duty: Black Ops, the old Namco games(Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig-Dug, etc.), Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero, Zelda: Twighlight Princess, some WWF games, the list goes on.

Generally Pokemon, the Namco games, Mario Galaxy, COD: Black Ops, and Guitar Hero.

Hand-Eye coordination, problem solving skills, and some social skills(online play). Oh, and how to kill people, of course (sarcasm)

For the most part, it calms me down, and it's fun to work at completing tasks found in the games.

Usually, it's the ads/reviews I find in Nintendo Power.

Replay vaule, force of habit, and, as said, it keeps me calm.