File Size Reduction

Thread: File Size Reduction

Default File Size Reduction

Well, I know I need to have a software for it, but I have no idea how to use it, nor do I really have too much time for learning how to do it.
    Could someone please help me shrink these userbars file sizes to a reasonable size? (preferably around 100 KB) For some reason, these have a ridiculously high file size of around 600 KB each.

Long live Haruka (May)! Haruka_Rules!'s Avatar

Default Re: File Size Reduction

After much trial and error, I finally found a good, free site that allows you to reduce GIF images to what you're looking for. The problem I found is that your GIFs have too many colors(yeah, I know it sounds weird). The more more colors it has, the better it looks but at the same time, the more KB (size) it takes up. The way to shrink your GIFs is to reduce the amount of colors. Even with less colors, the reduced GIF will still look almost as good as your original.

http://www.gifwizard.com/

Once you opened the site and uploaded a GIF file, make sure that "Image Editor: Crop/Rotate/Resize (Javascript enabled)" is selected, then click on "Start OptiView" button. Once you did that, you will see a big, rectangular box menu with 4 boxes. Each box has several options like image size, color adjustment, etc. DO NOT MESS WITH THOSE OPTIONS!

1. Look for the "GIF Colors" option in the bottom right box. It should have a high number like 256, 192, etc. Change that number to 18 or lower. Remember, the lower the color number, the less KB your GIF will have.

2. Once you selected a number (I found that 14, 12, or 10 works the best for your userbars except the Zoroark one) a small window will appear. Maximize that window, and you will see your reduced GIF image. Right click on the new GIF image and select "View Image info".

3. Another small window will appear with some basic info on the converted GIF including it's size and the new, reduced image displayed. If you are satisfied with it's size as well as quality, click on "Save As..." button, rename the GIF, select where you want to save it and you're done! If you're not happy with the results, then close the info window and the converted GIF window and repeat from step one.

Hope this helps. Btw, I was using Firefox but other browsers should work the same. :)
    Last edited by Haruka_Rules!; 7th May 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Created by Princess of Hoenn

wow thanks a lot! that worked wonders for me!

Long live Haruka (May)! Haruka_Rules!'s Avatar

No problem. Glad I could help. :)

Created by Princess of Hoenn