Dual Processor vs Dual Core (Also Some GPU Questions)

Thread: Dual Processor vs Dual Core (Also Some GPU Questions)

Blog Entries

Question Dual Processor vs Dual Core (Also Some GPU Questions)

So here's the senario: I have had for a long time an HP workstation xw4400. It works fine except for it not having a 2.0 Ghz dual core processor (instead it has a 1.86 dual core). This is a problem for me since I am a PC gamer.

However, my dad has offered me a computer that he has that contains with two Xeon Processors both of them 2.6 Ghz single core. My first question is: Would a 2.6 Ghz dual core processor work just as well as the two 2.6Ghz Xeon processors I have?

Now I might make the new computer my gaming computer, but right now its GPU is not the greatest. Its a NVidia Quadro which is really meant for CAD and not games. It struggles to run Minecraft. Also it has an AGP port. My older computer, though, has a Radeon X1600 Pro which I know will play Skyrim on Low settings. This computer has a PCI-Express port.

Online, I have found a Radeon HD 3850 with an AGP connector for my new computer for $70. Also, for around $80, I have found an Intel E6600 2.4 Ghz dual core processor which I am pretty sure my older computer can work with considering there was a choice to buy it with that processor inside with the same motherboard. My second question is: What would be better? Buying the GPU (which is refurbished) from NewEgg, or the processor from a website I haven't exactly heard of? I'm sort of leaning towards the GPU.

Honestly, all I want to be able to do, is play Skyrim and Deus Ex: HR

tl;dr --> read the underlined crap

Links:
    Processor
    GPU
    Last edited by --root--; 9th June 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dual Processor vs Dual Core (Also Some GPU Questions)

Depends on the generation of the CPU, if it's one of those netburst xeons then I'm not sure. Judging by the fact it uses AGP I'm guessing it's one of the older xenons. However, dual CPU is basically the same as Dual Core to the OS...

The AGP GPU is old, but it would probably be better then your current GPU, generation wise.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.