Controversial Video Games - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Controversial Video Games

  1. #16
    robo laser rave party Kyumorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    1000 AD
    Posts
    2,671
    Blog Entries
    438

    Follow Kyumorph on Tumblr

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Pretty much any video game is going to get a considerable amount of hate, be it from fans or elsewhere.

  2. #17
    i wANNA BE A HETALIA TOO Umeko's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    674
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Umeko On Twitter
    Follow Umeko on Tumblr Visit Umeko's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Goes to show that an opinion of a popular internet celebrity will change the mindsets of every gamer who listens to them.
    I have been trying for several minutes to figure out the best way to articulate the sheer ridiculousness of this notion, but all I can come up with is

    what

    WHAT

    I just cannot even create words for how flabbergasted I am by this.

    Ghetsis-Dennis, I have a question for you, and I would like for you to consider it carefully and answer it honestly and sincerely.

    Do you ever think for yourself? Do you even know what thinking for yourself means?

  3. #18
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Subway Boss Emmet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Goes to show that an opinion of a popular internet celebrity will change the mindsets of every gamer who listens to them.
    I have been trying for several minutes to figure out the best way to articulate the sheer ridiculousness of this notion, but all I can come up with is

    what

    WHAT

    I just cannot even create words for how flabbergasted I am by this.

    Ghetsis-Dennis, I have a question for you, and I would like for you to consider it carefully and answer it honestly and sincerely.

    Do you ever think for yourself? Do you even know what thinking for yourself means?
    Yes, I have thought about thinking for myself, but because some of the people I've seen online tend to act like jerks from my past experience on the internet, and given how they're still well-respected in the community, I feel like I should try to be like them in order to blend in. For example, you're both a mod and here longer than me, so that gives me the right to listen to you and never question your opinions no matter how much I disagree with it. It's why I fear my own ideals will never be heard because everyone hates them despite all the evidence I have and how much effort I've placed to fit them together to sound logical. It's also one of the things why I have issues with bullies.

  4. #19
    Registered User Otika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lavender Town... HELP... ME...
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    The same thing happened with Super Smash Bros. Brawl back in 2008. Everyone loved it until a popular youtube ranter by the name of RandomDCE posted a negative review because of how the game didn't meet his high expectations such as the character roster, and everyone started to hate on the game. He also criticized Super Mario Galaxy 2, back when it was first announced, for being the same as the first Galaxy game despite the original SMB2 being the same as the first SMB game (though he said that both versions of SMB2 were completely different experiences from the first game). Goes to show that an opinion of a popular internet celebrity will change the mindsets of every gamer who listens to them. And don't get me started on the hate BW2 is suddenly getting, though I'm going to name the users here who I know hate them and believe Nintendo is doomed. That is how controversial video games can get within the fan community.
    It's rather unsettling, really, especially when the reviewer in question is actually a satirical character and not a direct representation of the internet celebrity's beliefs. I love the Angry Video Game Nerd, the Nostalgia Critic, and all, but I find it alarming (if not slightly pathetic) that people consider them to be well-educated critics that really get paid for their professional opinion as opposed to just being fabricated characters who make humorous nitpicks on various media.

    Quote Originally Posted by Subway Boss Emmet View Post
    I have been trying for several minutes to figure out the best way to articulate the sheer ridiculousness of this notion, but all I can come up with is

    what

    WHAT

    I just cannot even create words for how flabbergasted I am by this.

    Ghetsis-Dennis, I have a question for you, and I would like for you to consider it carefully and answer it honestly and sincerely.

    Do you ever think for yourself? Do you even know what thinking for yourself means?
    I think he was saying that a lot of gamers don't think for themselves and that they are easily swayed by the opinions of popular critics. I don't think he was saying "We should all listen to internet celebrities because they know what they're talking about!"

  5. #20
    i wANNA BE A HETALIA TOO Umeko's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    674
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Umeko On Twitter
    Follow Umeko on Tumblr Visit Umeko's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    For example, you're both a mod and here longer than me, so that gives me the right to listen to you and never question your opinions no matter how much I disagree with it.
    Uh.

    My opinion is that you should stop that, that's silly, people can't tell you what you should and shouldn't think. Grow a backbone and start putting stock in your own opinions.

  6. #21
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Otika View Post
    It's rather unsettling, really, especially when the reviewer in question is actually a satirical character and not a direct representation of the internet celebrity's beliefs. I love the Angry Video Game Nerd, the Nostalgia Critic, and all, but I find it alarming (if not slightly pathetic) that people consider them to be well-educated critics that really get paid for their professional opinion as opposed to just being fabricated characters who make humorous nitpicks on various media.
    The reviewer is more on the latter since his style is similar to the Yahtzee, and he's one of the examples of the so-called "hardcore" gamers (the ones that enjoy dark and edgy games).

    I think he was saying that a lot of gamers don't think for themselves and that they are easily swayed by the opinions of popular critics. I don't think he was saying "We should all listen to internet celebrities because they know what they're talking about!"
    And I am guilty for being one of those gamers. I could never win an argument against a veteran user who isn't a mod no matter how many points I make that contradicts his/her statements.

  7. #22
    Registered User Otika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lavender Town... HELP... ME...
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    The reviewer is more on the latter since his style is similar to the Yahtzee, and he's one of the examples of the so-called "hardcore" gamers (the ones that enjoy dark and edgy games).
    Well, I don't know that much about them since I don't listen to many real critics, but I've always thought the "hardcore" versus "casual" or whatever to be a tad silly. I remember I was once derogatorily referred to as a "casual" on another message board and... well, I could really only laugh at his intent on insulting me with a word that simply means "not as obsessed as video games as me." Because, I mean... it's true. I'm -not- a hardcore gamer. It's actually more of an insult towards the person attempted to insult another person because it shows how much fruitless dedication they put into something designed for fun and entertainment.

    So as far as that goes, there will always be people who follow reviewers because "they're really hardcore" or whatever. It doesn't mean they're right or wrong, it just means they need to reevaluate their priorities.

    And I am guilty for being one of those gamers. I could never win an argument against a veteran user who isn't a mod no matter how many points I make that contradicts his/her statements.
    Well, I guess I haven't been here long enough to know enough about that, but I think that you're missing the point. Even if the majority of people seem to be against your opinion (even if you may be totally right and they totally wroing), it's about how you present it that matters. Even if no one ever agrees with you, it's not really important, you know? No one's judging you because you have a less-than-favorable opinion, and those that are fall under the category I listed above as "need to reevaluate their priorities."

  8. #23
    Hψ=Eψ H-con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    63°25′50″N10°23′42″E
    Posts
    4,676
    Blog Entries
    52
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    I couldn't help to notice the listing of CoD (yet not Battlefield, if that counts for something). I don't think that CoD is not a ... controversial game in it's own right, but most of the controversy comes from people that aren't going to play the game to begin with. There have been some public backlash against some of the missions were you kill civilians and generally against FPS games in general, but nothing compared to the hate going in some parts of the internet. I honestly don't give two shit about CoD, or any other specific FPS series either, and while I can understand some concerns of how (supposedly) big titles get much attention and drag attention away from other, possibly better games and casualizing gaming. Especially the latter is perhaps important, a lot of people strongly dislike this trend, and quite frankly, trying to pander many people at once usually ends up at the expense of what would be the core, going for a wider audience (see also: Dead Space 3, Dragon Age II). This is arguably bad, though usually not necessarily economically.

    Generally, games that have had pretty bad DRM tends to be controversial. Spore was definitely, and my guess is that the new Sim City will be as well (I'll be kind and not count Societies, seeing Sim City 4 was so good).


    I also find the lack of Dragon Age II and Dead Space III on the list odd. Two good examples of casualizing games, especially the former, compare it to DA Origins, and it's just so different. I haven't seen too much into DS 3, but I have seen quite a bit of controversy. I haven't played any of the other games in the series, and even if you were to exclude all the criticism on the web, I wasn't going to buy it anyways. Of course, I could also go into great detail the controversy that was ME3, but I feel it's rather pointless and uncalled for.


    Another thing that annoys me to no end is how some games are treated as perfect, great, you can't say anything bad about them. For my part, this is mostly for Ocarina of Time, a game I simply find dreadfully dull.

    The reviewer is more on the latter since his style is similar to the Yahtzee, and he's one of the examples of the so-called "hardcore" gamers (the ones that enjoy dark and edgy games).
    Ghetsis-Dennis, I wonder what you say is a dark and edgy game. Could you name some examples, so I could put it in proper context (mostly because I have a suspicion we have a different opinion there). Not that I like the term to begin with though.

  9. #24
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    I couldn't help to notice the listing of CoD (yet not Battlefield, if that counts for something). I don't think that CoD is not a ... controversial game in it's own right, but most of the controversy comes from people that aren't going to play the game to begin with. There have been some public backlash against some of the missions were you kill civilians and generally against FPS games in general, but nothing compared to the hate going in some parts of the internet. I honestly don't give two shit about CoD, or any other specific FPS series either, and while I can understand some concerns of how (supposedly) big titles get much attention and drag attention away from other, possibly better games and casualizing gaming. Especially the latter is perhaps important, a lot of people strongly dislike this trend, and quite frankly, trying to pander many people at once usually ends up at the expense of what would be the core, going for a wider audience (see also: Dead Space 3, Dragon Age II). This is arguably bad, though usually not necessarily economically.

    Generally, games that have had pretty bad DRM tends to be controversial. Spore was definitely, and my guess is that the new Sim City will be as well (I'll be kind and not count Societies, seeing Sim City 4 was so good).


    I also find the lack of Dragon Age II and Dead Space III on the list odd. Two good examples of casualizing games, especially the former, compare it to DA Origins, and it's just so different. I haven't seen too much into DS 3, but I have seen quite a bit of controversy. I haven't played any of the other games in the series, and even if you were to exclude all the criticism on the web, I wasn't going to buy it anyways. Of course, I could also go into great detail the controversy that was ME3, but I feel it's rather pointless and uncalled for.
    I've already mentioned that I may be missing some other games, so I've listed the names of the polarized games I've known.

    Another thing that annoys me to no end is how some games are treated as perfect, great, you can't say anything bad about them. For my part, this is mostly for Ocarina of Time, a game I simply find dreadfully dull.
    How so exactly? The game was really good at its time.

    Ghetsis-Dennis, I wonder what you say is a dark and edgy game. Could you name some examples, so I could put it in proper context (mostly because I have a suspicion we have a different opinion there). Not that I like the term to begin with though.
    But Dark and Edgy, I mean something like the Batman Arkam games and the Bioshock series.

  10. #25
    Skodwarde's Slave zakisrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    392
    Blog Entries
    89

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    By controversial, I mean the ones that created an internet backlash whether they're major or minor and will threaten to leave the series for good. I've experienced it all time no matter where I go on the internet. This usually comes from hardcore gamers who have been consumers since the 80s and 90s, gamers who only care about story rather than gameplay, and fanbases to a long-running franchise. Here are the list of the controversial games to my knowledge (I may be missing some):

    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Super Paper Mario
    Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
    Pokemon Black/White
    Pokemon Black 2/White 2
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Other M
    Star Fox Adventures
    Star Fox Assault
    Star Fox Command
    Kirby's Epic Yarn
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Wii Music
    Nintendoland
    Sonic Unleashed
    Sonic 4
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Resident Evil 5
    Mass Effect 3
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    Call of Duty Black Ops
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
    Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    Halo 4
    Epic Mickey
    Heavy Rain
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Angry Birds

    It really pains to see this much hate even when they haven't been released yet. I fear for the worst to come.
    I'm surprised Angry Birds of all games would make the list. I don't think it's controversial - just annoying.

    Halo and Resident Evil 5 I can understand. But the worst is Custer's Revenge, since the goal is to RAPE a Native American woman stuck to a cactus!

  11. #26
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    I'm surprised Angry Birds of all games would make the list. I don't think it's controversial - just annoying.
    Annoyance counts as controversial.

    Halo and Resident Evil 5 I can understand. But the worst is Custer's Revenge, since the goal is to RAPE a Native American woman stuck to a cactus!
    While it's true that Custer's Revenge has offended everyone; however, it's not the type of controversial game I'm looking for. It has to contain a backlash from older gamers because of their knowledge in video games in general.

  12. #27
    live free, die free Gaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    jolly/gloomy stance
    Posts
    743
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    I love how every new main-series Zelda installment since Ocarina of Time causes cries of "Ruined 4ever!" from perpetually unsatisfied fans.
    Also Diablo 3? I think that would fit on the list, what with it's always-online requirement and the backlash that caused.

    I gotta admit, when I saw the thread title, I thought this would be about games that caused moral watchdogs to target them.

  13. #28
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,428
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Let's face it, pretty much EVERY Pokemon game released after Generation 2 is expected to have a bunch of hate to some extent, even Black and White 2 are not entirely immune to being hated on by fans of the original Black and White

    As for Sonic games, is anyone familiar with the Sonic Cycle:


    It occurs every time a new Sonic game is announced, and with the rumors of a posible reboot of the franchise in 2014, the cycle is starting to renew again, but face it, after Sonic Adventure 2, we weren't exactly sure what direction Sega was trying to take the series, Sonic Heroes was good, Shadow's game was a major misstep, Sonic 2006 was flat out terrible, Unleashed was perhaps a step in the right direction, and then Sonic Colors came out and blew peoples expectations away by being surprisingly good, and was notable for breaking the Sonic Cycle at the time:


    Alas, fans always complain whenever a new installment of their favorite game franchise comes out, and it's like this for all franchises. Skylanders was a VERY controversial game among the Spyro fandom when it was announced.
    Last edited by Robo-Floatzel; 4th August 2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Ghetsis-Dennis and Gaga like this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  14. #29
    †Stay Metal† Dread Advocate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wherever my stories are
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Alas, fans always complain whenever a new installment of their favorite game franchise comes out, and it's like this for all franchises. Skylanders was a VERY controversial game among the Spyro fandom when it was announced.
    Of course Skylanders was. It shoehorned our favorite dragon into a game that's meh at best, and the overall game had absolutely nothing to do with him.

    What about those silly Halo fans? When the first bits of info came out, they started to complain that it's gonna be to similar to Call of Duty. But they were complaining about 3 and Reach that the games are stagnating. Some are ever getting their panties in a wad because Bungie is not developing. They think that 343 ruined Halo Anniversary, and so they'll ruin the rest of the Halo franchise. How is it fair to judge a company that has never actually developed a game? Halo Anniversary was old bones with new skin. Halo 4 will be their first truly developed game. And most employees there are former Bungie employees, so they know exactly what they're doing.

  15. #30
    Go Leafs Go Kessel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cape Breton
    Posts
    136
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Controversial Video Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Sonic Unleashed

    Sonic 4
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Resident Evil 5
    Mass Effect 3
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    Call of Duty Black Ops
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
    Call of Duty Black Ops 2

    It really pains to see this much hate even when they haven't been released yet. I fear for the worst to come.
    Black Ops 2 Isn't out yet so you can't judge that.

    For actually controversial games look at BoneTown!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •