Computer problems

Thread: Computer problems

Blog Entries

Default Computer problems

Hey guys, I need some help and I will try to explain this to the best I can.

Now my computer in my room just started playing up and my brother thinks it could be a processor (I think that's it?) stuffing up so my computer won't work. Here's what happened: My computer has been freezing lately, at first it was just Firefox but two days ago the computer started it, AVG anti virus program would not exit and froze so I had to turn my computer off, did this twice after scanning for virus (None found so far).

You know how after you turn off a computer without going to the menu, just pressing the button? Then that black screen comes up and asks if you want to enter windows in Safe mode or normally while it counts down from 50 or something? Well after the second reset it goes to that however no matter what I press, run normally, safe mode or just let the countdown get to zero it will load and go to the Windows XP screen with the little bar where it's loading.

However it restarts right there and ends up back at the black screen with those options and it keeps doing it! I don't know what to do, alot of my work is on that computer. My brother thinks it's the processor that's stuffed up and coming on the weekend to check it or try to.

So I wanted a second opinion. Just before the freezing for a few seconds started I was playing on my Wii and I accidentally bumped the computer with my hand (And looking into the vent, maybe it's just me but the fan looks out of place), I don't know if that is relevant. Can anyone here help me out and tell me if my brother's right? Do I need a new computer? (Which could be a upside, I don't have a sound card so no games, however I don't know if my internet would work with the new one, long story). But I don't like Vista, and it has so many problems with computer games and I heard they don't sell XP anymore. What would be a good computer to buy for internet/games/writing stories?
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Computer problems

Could be any number of problems. The hard drive could be failing, the logic board could be failing, the RAM could be failing, or it could simply need a nice format.

How old is the computer? I think it probably needs a new hard drive and some more RAM to salvage it.

Blog Entries

I think it's about 8/9 years old.

The Graphics card, and I am pretty sure the harddrive are newer then that, my computer gone through lots of problems so quite a few things have been replaced, and the computer completely wiped twice
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

Blog Entries

this happened to me about ten times over the past five years.

fortunately, my father knows a lot about computers and such, so he helped me fix it in no time. every time it happened, it was because of windows. because my computer was full of viruses and because i kept turning it off by pressing the button on the power bar, windows got corrupted. plus, i tend to delete very important system files whenever i try to clean up my computer, so that's another reason why windows got messed up. i couldn't access anything on this computer when it happened, so we took my drives out and we put them into another computer temporarily (just to see if any file was corrupted/deleted). we reinstalled windows on my computer and we put back the drives. everything worked fine afterwards... though i had to reinstall many programs, drivers, and such. and because i didn't take care of my computer, it kept happening... again... and again. i had to reinstall windows every six months or so. in early 2010, we decided to make an image so that next time it happens we don't have to reinstall the drivers and all.

so really, what i suggest is:

#1 - take your drives out and put them into another computer to see if anything's missing (if you don't have another computer, then just put them somewhere safe). if anything's missing, try installing a software that will allow you to recover deleted files. you can download free softwares on the internet, though it might take you a while to find a good one (i did it once to recover some files and it worked, though i can't remember which one i used. the case was different though. i had done a chkdsk and many files got deleted... D: this isn't particularly relevant to this, but whatever. in case you lose anything, download a software like this).

#2 - reinstall windows xp. the cd should be in the box... should it not? :P

#3 - consider making an image. if it happens again, you wouldn't want to go on the internet, find the drivers, and reinstall them; it'd take a while.

hope i helped. {: good luckkk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post

The Graphics card, and I am pretty sure the harddrive are newer then that, my computer gone through lots of problems so quite a few things have been replaced, and the computer completely wiped twice
    Oh damn, that's ancient. All right, let me know what your budget is, whether you want a desktop, laptop, all in one, whatever have you, and I'll be more than happy to help you to customize something.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To test your ram, download and run Memtest86. If it fails, you will know what's wrong.
    It sounds like the ram, as my mom's PC at work has a similar issue.

If you want a New PC and XP, then try getting a NetTop/NetBook. They are cheap and will be more powerful then your 8/9 year old PC. You can also get a Windows 7 based laptop, since they don't put Vista on most PCs anymore.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    Well there's your problem, then... not just that the hardware performs badly after that time, but if you've used it for that long of a time, something's bound to go wrong with the software as well - software companies drop support for their older programs, meaning that if you're using Windows XP, tough luck if you get viruses in the next two years.

You can only stretch an old system so far. Eventually, you will need to replace it.

You might need to wipe it again, in that case. But make sure to back up your files.

Also, how much newer? If it's something like five years old, you might need to replace it again anyway. Computer technology is like that.

If you're really adverse to replacing a computer, you could also install Ubuntu. That solves a few problems too.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Question, did you install any hardware recently? As in, did you add in that graphics card, RAM or anything else within the last month? Sometimes a device might not get booted up properly and cause the system to hang. Removing that recently installed component might make it go through. Even something as simple as a USB cord left plugged into the computer from a device can cause it to stop loading properly. My sister nearly freaked when she couldn't get her laptop to start up. Turns out her plugged in ipod was halting Windows from booting. Unplugged it and it loaded just fine.

AVG not detecting anything, yet everything is hanging up? I've seen viruses escape Malwarebytes and AVG more and more these days, so there are chances you could have contracted something that blocked those programs and at the same time ate through your essential start up files which could explain why Windows hangs at bootup. If you're good with DOS, or if you can even get DOS up and running, you can try fixing the files manually, but you'd need to make sure the registry were clean too.

If you can't get to anything, then try to salvage what you can off the hard drive like everyone's suggested and move it to another PC for recovery if you can. Before you make the move, make your old hard drive a 'slave' first so you don't complicate the other PC. Do this by moving a square pin on the end of the hard drive over the pins designated 'SL' or 'Slave'. This will be labeled on the edge of the green circuit board near the pins or sticker if one is applied. Also, when you go to plug in your old hard drive, you can use the same ribbon the current hard drive is attached to. Just make sure the ribbon is plugged in the right way with the red stripe facing towards the center of the drive.

I'd recommend Ubuntu only if you're comfortable with using a Linux platform. It'll take some adjustments and you'll probably want to learn a bunch of commands, but you'll have to scour around for compatibility support if you ever want your system to match any common PC applications.
    Last edited by Rayne; 23rd August 2010 at 10:29 PM.

-In Simple Harmony-

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Try reinstalling Windows. Sometimes the installation gets a bit messed up, and the easiest way is reinstallation. You'll lose your data, though, unless you get lucky.