Boss Battles - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boss Battles

Merry Christmas :D BadAssGardevoir's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Least Favourite/Evil Boss Battles

Another entry from Kid Icarus: Uprising: The Pheonix. The one reason this boss is annoying is because of the fake difficuilty that is a camera that is zoomed out just enough so that you can't judge when his attacks will hit and therefore when to dodge.
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami), Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Monado (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Celestial Brush (Okami), the Godbird's Soulstone (Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King), the Stealth Claws (Kid Icarus: Uprising) and the songs Don't Ever Forget (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) and Rising Sun (Okami).

Shao Kahn in MK3 is a real pain to fight. You know your cheap when you can kill any character in the game with a 3-4 hit combo (in a game with no super moves) off a blocked hit. He also button reads very shamelessly as an added insult. Come to think of it he's an ass in every game he's the final boss except in MK2 where he spends most of the time taunting you.

Yunalesca from Final Fantasy 10 is another. It's marathon boss where you have to dance around keeping a negative status effect (that causes healing to hurt you) on your party while avoiding all the others so your whole party doesn't die instantly just as you're about to complete the battle. It's every bit as annoying as it sounds. She's worse than Seymour Flux at least he's hilariously vulnerable to being poisoned to death.
    3DS Name: Kyle
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4828-5602-4809
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Flying type: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

Blog Entries

Default Underwhelming Boss Battles

This thread is for discussion about the boss battles that you found decidedly underwhelming. These can be at both ends of the spectrum: they could be fights that are very difficuilt, annoying or just plain unsatifying, however they could also be fights that are simply good fights, but for some reason they did not live up to the expectation set by the game itself or the reputation among the fandom.

And now for the boss that inspired me to write this thread: the Spider Guardian from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. This falls under the annoying/difficuilt category, but, seeing as I'm posting here, I didn't find it as difficuilt as fans made it out to be. The fight takes place in Morph Ball mode, meaning you can't actually shoot the thing. Insted, the goal of this fight is to basicly damage it enough times until a Bomb Slot activates. You then have to get to said Slot before the Guardian reached a certian point on it's set route to send it into an electric fence, rince, repeat. Basicly the main problems that fans had with it (I think, I don't really know much about the Metroid fandom) were that the thing does a lot of damage when it come within a certian distance and the jumping to the Bomb Slots was troublesome at best. While it's attacks do do a lot of damage, I didn't really get hit enough to be majorly concerned and the jumping to the next bomb slot wasn't that difficuilt, though it was annoying... That's all I really have to say about it. Then again, I do have Prime 2 as part of the Trillogy disk for the Wii, and, according to Wikitroid, the difficuilty was toned down there thanks to the fact that you can jump without having to use a bomb, but I was expecting something downright evil, not the large annoyence I got when I actually faced it.

Now, enough rambling from me, what are the bosses that left you staring at your screen repeating the words "was that it?" over and over or ones that you expected to be bastards but were actually just minor annoyences?

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami), Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Monado (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Celestial Brush (Okami), the Godbird's Soulstone (Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King), the Stealth Claws (Kid Icarus: Uprising) and the songs Don't Ever Forget (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) and Rising Sun (Okami).

Default Re: Underwhelming Boss Battles

My battle with the extra mega-boss Shinryu in Final Fantasy (the original) fo iOS. He's made out to be a terrible offensive presence, but I just swept through him without much problem. There were a few times when one of my characters got down to a bit under half health, but nothing beyond that. Seriously, game? I was hoping for more.

Shadow Frost Witch RainbowSkittles's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mine would easily be The Knife Fight in 5-3 of RE:4

This one happens in a Cutscene and must played until the end(4/5+)mins worse part of it is There's no skipping button(meaning you cannot avoid it)even if you die countless times it'll always be there
    Last edited by RainbowSkittles; 23rd July 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Happy Holidays! Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Favourite Video Game Boss Battles

MOD NOTE: Favorite/Least Favorite/Most Underwhelming Boss battles where merged into one thread, because while the discussion topics were different they all shared a common main topic being boss fights in a game. So in this thread now feel free to discuss any boss battle you loved, one you found difficult, hated for any reason, along with any aspect of a in game boss battle.
    Last edited by Dolce; 23rd July 2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Made the note...more descriptive.
    X: Dolce, αS: Nina
    FC: 4554 - 1270 - 5039

Follow Snarl on Tumblr

Default Re: Boss Battles

The Sonic Adventure games had some of the best final boss battles ever. Going Super Sonic in 3D for the first time and flying like a bullet across a city devastated by water? Sign me up man.

Almost every major Kingdom Hearts boss battle is striking too. The last bunch in KH2 take the cake.

My all time favourite has to go to Mother from Prototype. All those people and zambies running and screaming everywhere, bullets flying from those dumb soldiers, the Hunters stalking you throughout the entire fight and making me rage countless times when they'd take me down. If I was to sum up intense adrenaline, I'd use this shit.

As for bosses that can gtfo - He Who Dwells or whatever in Infamous Second Son. Must've taken 4 hours before I even realized the health bar was actually going down.

the king of nothing ; with a broken crown.

Since the threads were merged

Favorite battles

X vs Zero: Megaman X5
    Omega: Megaman Zero 3
    Raziel vs Kain: Legacy of Kain Defiance
    Dante vs Vergil: Devil may Cry 3 (all 3 of them). The Vergil in the reboot squarely falls under underwhelming battles however.
    Kefka and his Divine Comedy statues/constructs: Final Fantasy 6
    Gilgamesh: Final Fantasy 12
    Most Shadow of the Colossus bosses
    Perfect Chaos: Sonic Adventure
    Most other playable character boss battles and Biolizard in Sonic Adventure 2
    Lance, Red and The Rival: Pokemon Stadium 2
    Cynthia and the latter White Treehollow/Black Tower bosses: Pokemon Black/White 2
    Trevor Belmont, Issac: Castlevania Curse of Darkness
    Mr Freeze: Batman Arkham City
    Killer Rabbit: Dragon's Crown, for the Monty Python reference mostly.

Underwhelming battles

Richter Belmont: Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Granted you're not supposed to kill him since it gives the bad end but if you want to do it anyway Richter dies way too fast.
    The Joker: Batman Arkham Asylum. Considering this is one of those incarnations of him that can't/barely fight even when on titan juice it's not to surprising.
    Shinnok: Mortal Kombat 4
    Most other bosses in Final Fantasy 12 since attack and use cure beats almost all of them since they rarely have any kind of gimmick.
    Sephiroth: Final Fantasy 7, killed him before he used supernova on my first try without overlevelling. Hell I wanted to see supernova to boot so I could witness the infamous "bathroom break attack".
    Diantha, the Elite Four and most Gym Leaders: Pokemon X and Y. Sadly considering the battle themes in these games are awesome.
    Archie and Maxie: Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Barely different from the generic goons you've been fighting. They better get buffed in ORAS
    Most "boss" battles in GTA games, Bully and Red Dead Redemption. Granted this mostly due to realism and those bosses are threatening on a narrative basis because of their connections. Plus you play as a badass who by the time you even get to the first one would have killed/beat up dozens if not hundreds of enemies.
    3DS Name: Kyle
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4828-5602-4809
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Flying type: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

Happy Holidays Everyone! aliveatnight's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow aliveatnight On Twitter

My favorite boss is Sif from Dark Souls. There's just something so cool about a regular wolf with a giant sword that can do flips in the air.

One boss that I really like but also hate is the final boss of Persona 3 FES. I think the meaning behind it is really cool. However, that boss has 12 stages that get progressively harder, and the last one has a move that can pretty much one hit your whole party. That fight ended up taking me 14 hours to beat.

My Pokémon Blog
    Claims: Akihiko Sanada (Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Arena), Sif (Dark Souls), Evoker (Persoma 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable), Greatsheild of Artorias (Dark Souls), Nightingale Bow (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

Blog Entries

While playing through Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (whos bosses have mostly been in the underwhelming catigory so far, by the way,) I found a decidedy evil boss: the Golem. The first thing that makes it so evil is that it has a HUGE amount of health.The second thing that makes it evil is that it's attacks do about 45 damage with Sapping Curse activated (which, in case you don't know, LOWERS ATTACK) per hit, which is quite a lot at the point in the game you can first face it at. The third thing that makes it evil is that it's Physical Defence is pretty friggin high, with it taking about 65 damage when under Frailty Curse (the Defence-lowering curse.) The forth evil thing about is that it's attacks, which do a lot of damage, are either multi-hit attacks or have a splash effect (which means they hit the party members on either side of the one targeted.) The fitith thing that makes it evil is it's skills: it can use a skill that Blinds you, making a hit very unlikely, it can use a skill that raises it's Elemental Defence, meaning your Alcamist, who will probably be drained of most of his/her TP, will find the few skills he/she can use doing about the same damage as a Physical attack, And it can use a skill that eliminates either all the debuffs on it or all the buffs on you... I'm not really sure which one it actually uses, but it's pretty annoying either way. The final and most evil thing about this F***ING EVIL hunk of metal is that when you think you've FINALLY droped it's health to 0 it F***ING REVIVES ITSELF WITH 3000 F***ING HP (just over half) and then proceeds to use a skill that makes it F***ING REGENERATE 500 HP AT END OF EACH TURN for four turns, which is more HP regeration then the amount of damage you can do to it during those turns, and you're probably almost out of TP by now, which is nessisary for every skill, including healing skills and Elemental attacks. It is VERY saitsfying if you manage to beat that F***ING hunk of metal back down to 0 after that, but it's the most F***ING EVIL trick a boss can play on you. The only redemable thing about it is that you don't have to face it, since it is a quest boss.

Also, the bosses from Dark Cloud can be pretty annoying because of one reason: THEIR HEALTH VARIES DEPENDING ON WHAT WEAPONS YOU HAVE. I dare you try and beat the first boss with nothing but a Broken Dagger and a Broken Slingshot. It will take hours... Or you'll just die of thurst.
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 31st July 2014 at 04:57 AM.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's some of my favorites:

-Bouldergeist in Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2. This one really gave me a lot of trouble, but that's something I grew to appreciate after I finally beat him. It was also pretty interesting that you fought him using Bomb Boos.
    -The final battle against Bowser in Super Mario 3D Land. I was utterly amazed at how they took the usual "press the switch" Bowser battle and transformed it into something exciting and climactic, you're running up through the castle as he's constantly chasing you and hurling fire balls at you.
    -Egg Wyvern in 06. It's like Egg Viper in Sonic Adventure turned up to 11, each hit he destroys some of the platforms you're standing on until the final hit has you on just one solitary platform.
    -Perfect Chaos in Sonic Generations. They really improved this one in Generations. Instead of running on a plain water section the entire time, you're running across highways and broken platforms while Perfect Chaos attempts to use his tentacles to break them. Essentially, it requires you to use platforming skills that typically aren't required in a boss battle.
    -Egg Dragoon in Sonic Unleashed (HD version). Say what you want about the Werehog being terrible, but this boss battle was just plain awesome. Fighting it while falling down a giant shaft was really cool, and the QTE at the end was also really awesome. Speaking of which...
    -Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime 3. Also another fall down the shaft battle, but a bit more intense. You actually have a timer running during this battle, so you need to finish it quickly. This was also a pretty dynamic battle, with you having to fight him at different levels throughout the battle (you start out above him, then you're right next to him, and then you're below him)
    -Acro the Whale in Kirby 64. Another fairly dynamic boss, it starts out like a fairly standard boss battle, but then when you think you've defeated him, he collapses on the floor and the arena starts collapsing, but then the screen starts scrolling upwards and then his health bar refills and he comes back and tries to fight you while the screen is constantly scrolling upwards.
    -The Helicopter battle at the end of Water Hazard in Half Life 2. Perfect end to an exciting level, you spend a good portion of the level racing through sewers and canals while dodging shots from the thing, and at the end of the level, you end up going head to head with it in a giant reservoir. And then you fight it using the same kind of turret that the helicopter uses against you (the NPC who gives it to you jokes about "bringing irony to the firefight").
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 31st October 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Memorable because they were strong/fun:

Cynthia of Platinum is probably one of the most fun-but-really-tough bosses I've ever faced. Not excruciatingly overpowered, but strong and smart enough to make me think before I leap and give a strong sense of achievement when she's defeated.

I remember this one boss from Kirby Super Star Ultra called Marx Soul. Basically an upgraded version of this monstrosity called Marx, the final boss of on of the several stages of the game. His attacks were so strong, I had to constantly resort to turning into a rock to avoid getting killed.

Xemnas of KH, no matter which game he shows up in, usually leaves a lasting impression on me. There's a reason why my favorite nickname for him is "Spamnas"... annoyingly high speed, strong attacks in general, teleportation, signature "create-walls-out-of-nothing" shields, and those "Ethereal Blades" that we all know are really Sith lightsabers without the hilt. Oh, and roundhouse kicking. How many times did that make me rage during Dream Drop Distance??

N in B/W was also great. Like Cynthia, strong enough to make it fun, but not too much to make it frustrating. Plus, it's the climatic clash of two dragons, how could I ever forget that?? Ghetsis of BW2 had similar traits, along with one of the best battle theme remixes I have ever heard in Pokemon.

Memorable because... meh.

Diantha is the opposite of Cynthia on so many levels. Bland personality, no involvement during the story, boring battle theme, and a team that I swept with two Pokemon the first time I fought her. Lacks any sense of challenge or accomplishment. In short: Boooor-iiiing.

Waddle Dee (or was it Waddle Doo...?), essentially an oversized mook that couldn't hurt you if it tried. And all you have to do to beat it is... suck it up and swallow it, like any regular mook...

After a slew of back-to-back battles with lightning bruisers of bosses in KH: Dream Drop Distance, that Armored Ventus Nightmare was... underwhelming, to say the least. I kind of hate it when the final final boss is far easier than the buildup leading to it...

Alduin of Skyrim was a pretty big letdown. Considering he's the main focus of the game's storyline, you'd think the World Eater would be an epic bossfight. Thing is, the only differences between him and a regular dragon are: 1) meteors fall on your head while fighting him, 2) He's stronger than the average dragon, 3) He's a bit more chatty than the average dragon. Otherwise, there's no difference... he doesn't even get any special battle music. WHAT.
    Last edited by BlackOsprey; 6th August 2014 at 12:01 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Terminus

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.

Blog Entries

WARNING: This post contains MAJOR spoilers to the Story Mode of Etrian Odyssey Untold, don't read if you havn't played it all the way through and GO GET IT NOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT!

Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 15th August 2014 at 06:55 AM.

Sin (the second-last boss in Final Fantasy X) and all the aeons that I got. They were more challenging than the end-of-game boss Yu Yevon, which has to be the easiest boss to beat in the game. In fact, the bit when he dies takes a lot longer than actually beating him.

"Don't call me that name" TwinLukes's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit TwinLukes's Youtube Channel

Warning: Giant wall of text and Major spoilers of Tales of the Abyss coming up:

Sorry if that was a lot to read, but it's very hard to adequately explain the events of the game in a short amount of words, even with a lot of the details left out, because of that, I highly recommend you pick the game up if you are interested, you can find it for PS2 and 3DS, with the 3DS version being fairly cheap. (Don't worry about the spoilers, I assure you that there's much more to the story than what I've described, and most of the stuff I explained except for some of the stuff concerning Luke and Asch happens around the 1/3rd mark, so it's pretty early into the game.)

Claims: Virizion - 03/08/14, Swords Dance - 03/08/14

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast